Changeling Metaplot and Headcanon Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    It makes a lot of sense and goes with the Troll Kings of Old stories already part of canon. And it explains how we can have a God Pan Ruler of Arcadia but no Satyr House. It also explains Sidhe houses, if they overthrew the other Kithain and erased their houses then that explains why their culture is dominant.
    Precisely! We usually have it that the sidhe managed to get a tenuous hold on the dreams of rulership (in all its forms), and that their behavior unwittingly maintains the current status quo. Those few that suspect the truth will go to any length to conceal it and prevent the commoners from realizing that they have every right to mantles of authority as the sidhe.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

I'm really digging this now. This means all the Nobles who aren't Sidhe are essentially Gallain and thus outside of the Sidhe Control, like the Menehune's caste system and the Merfolk, or are hidden, like the Oba.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by [Insert Original Name
        ;n1229261]

Though I dont really have an explanation for why they would be immune to banality. Maybe the dreaming used to function completely differently before humanity existed and the Fomorians are a by product of that forgotten age. Maybe there not fae at all and are horribly powerful eldritch monstrosities that happened to dabble with human dreams. Regardless, they lack the connection and dependence that the dreaming and fae have on humanity.
        The explanation I use in my setting is that the Fomorians represent such primal fears (Change, Violence and the Unknown) they can always find Glamour. It's in every creature's nature to feed them unlike the more complex Fae who needs the support of legends, tales and rituals. Even in the most Banal world people will recoil from pain and fear tommorow, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ganonso View Post

The explanation I use in my setting is that the Fomorians represent such primal fears (Change, Violence and the Unknown) they can always find Glamour. It's in every creature's nature to feed them unlike the more complex Fae who needs the support of legends, tales and rituals. Even in the most Banal world people will recoil from pain and fear tommorow, after all.
          This has been kind of what I have leaned towards. Fomorians feed off such simple fundamental emotions that even in winter they would find succor in the cold, misery, and primal dread.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
            We change things up a lot from game to game. There is one element that frequently comes up, though. In our games, we usually rule that all kiths once had their nobility. There were troll kingdoms, satyr kingdoms, pooka kingdoms, redcap kingdoms... You name it, they were there. The sidhe had been the dreams of beauty, rather than nobility, but they decided that as the prettiest, they should also be the ones in charge of everyone. That war is largely forgotten, now, but some evidence remains for changelings to find at the right moment.
            I'd go abit the other way that Sidhe, boggans and Clurichain were all One "Kingdom" So maybe not EVERY kith has a noble variant but there were a few great kingdom that Sidhe destroyed..

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I'd go abit the other way that Sidhe, boggans and Clurichain were all One "Kingdom" So maybe not EVERY kith has a noble variant but there were a few great kingdom that Sidhe destroyed..
              In our case, we never liked the idea that a whole race was born just to serve another. With the boundless possibilities of the Dreaming, it just seemed right that they should all have their own kingdoms, so we try to imagine what a boggan kingdom or a redcap kingdom might have been like in ancient times.

Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams

Comment

In our case, we never liked the idea that a whole race was born just to serve another. With the boundless possibilities of the Dreaming, it just seemed right that they should all have their own kingdoms, so we try to imagine what a boggan kingdom or a redcap kingdom might have been like in ancient times.
                I'm trying to imagine what is to a Boggan that an Oba is to an Eshu... and I get Sidhe. And Vice versa. In the Long long ago being a kith may have been more Fluid... like Every Eshu who took a crown became Oba, every SIdhe who didn't rule was a boggan..

Comment

I'm trying to imagine what is to a Boggan that an Oba is to an Eshu... and I get Sidhe. And Vice versa. In the Long long ago being a kith may have been more Fluid... like Every Eshu who took a crown became Oba, every SIdhe who didn't rule was a boggan..
                  Yeah I see some kiths being more related to each other than they are to other kiths. Like I often portray the Fae in Ireland may have been more like Sidhe with Boggans and Clarichauns as other Castes, similar to the idea the Menehune are really one kith but they are divided into 4 caste groups that essentially serve as other kiths. In other parts of the World I would have had it say the Boggans, Knockers and Sevartal were different Castes of the Svartalfar/Dwarger of Nidavallir, with perhaps Slaugh and Trolls also populating their kingdom. I see the modern age and interagnum splitting apart some groupings as the different castes started drifting into their own subgroups and becoming actually different kiths rather then different castes of the same kith. Especially after the Sidhe left Earth and the European Kithain started spreading beyond their original borders. I think many local kiths started becoming absorbed into more common kiths as Europeans started spreading across the world.

Comment

In our case, we don’t necessarily go with every kith having had a noble equivalent like the Oba, but rather that they all had their own noble houses that functioned the same way as the sidhe houses. Those houses now are broken and forgotten, but intrepid explorers of the Dreaming and ancient ruins may find surviving artifacts of those times. The idea of kiths having been more fluid once upon a time isn’t a bad one, though, and we’ve used that as well. Of course, we play a lot with weird time crap and alternate dimensions, so there’s definitely a lot of wiggle room.

Comment

In our case, we don’t necessarily go with every kith having had a noble equivalent like the Oba, but rather that they all had their own noble houses that functioned the same way as the sidhe houses. Those houses now are broken and forgotten, but intrepid explorers of the Dreaming and ancient ruins may find surviving artifacts of those times. The idea of kiths having been more fluid once upon a time isn’t a bad one, though, and we’ve used that as well. Of course, we play a lot with weird time crap and alternate dimensions, so there’s definitely a lot of wiggle room.

I feel like if I'm going ot engage in the secret story of Pooka nobility.. I'm damned well going to have something to make it different than "pooka who joins a noble house and gets a title" So that's why I feel like "High" pooka need to be different in some way. But that's just my read.

Also Boggans FEEL intrinsically commoner.

Comment

I feel like if I'm going ot engage in the secret story of Pooka nobility.. I'm damned well going to have something to make it different than "pooka who joins a noble house and gets a title" So that's why I feel like "High" pooka need to be different in some way. But that's just my read.

Also Boggans FEEL intrinsically commoner.

Pooka Noble = King of Beasts.

Boggan Noble = Merchant Prince

Piskie Noble = King of Thieves.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-03-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Pooka Noble = King of Beasts.

Boggan Noble = Merchant Prince

Piskie Noble = King of Thieves.

No, you're missing the point. What does a "High" Boggan look like vs a regular boggan? IF you can find a serious difference between that and House Dougal...

Conversely Noble Pooka is easy, you swap out their second BR for Noble bearing.

Comment

No, you're missing the point. What does a "High" Boggan look like vs a regular boggan? IF you can find a serious difference between that and House Dougal...

Conversely Noble Pooka is easy, you swap out their second BR for Noble bearing.

Okay, well, I finally came up with this idea tonight / today (depending on how you look at it) and I think that what makes these "Highborn" stand out from typical commoners would be the manner in which they present themselves.

For starters, let's take a look at a "High" Boggan. Since Boggans are traditionally associated with hard work, fine craftsmanship and gracious living conditions, a member of the nobility might reside in splendid opulence. As I suggested with my Merchant Prince idea, a Boggan who counts themselves among the nobility might have access to only the finest goods and services that are reasonably available in their area. Their homes might be grand and spacious, and catered to by a large number of common Boggans who take pride in their duties as household servants.

The "High" Boggan is a self made Boggan, who's family earned their status through years of hard work and good business sense. Which differentiates their kith from the Sidhe, who's titles were given to them under pretenses of being inherently superior to everybody else.

--------------------------------------------

Now let's move on to a Noble Pooka, whom I believe would draw inspiration from (or serve as inspiration to) stories of majestic beasts of the wilderness. Their pelts might be immaculately pristine and radiate and aura of gentle grace, or untamed freedom. Their very presence should give off the impression that this creature is a miracle of nature and those who would dare care purposeful harm to befall them are deserving of nature's wrath!

A deer who holds a noble title might adorn their antlers as one would adorn a royal crown, and their movements could carry the flourishing grace of a ballet dancer.

A lion might have a golden mane that shines like sunlight and their booming voice can deliver proclamations that carry on for miles throughout the Dreaming.

The "High" Pooka aren't just dreams of animals playing about in the wilderness, they're the very epitome of what that animal signifies in the minds of humans. By coming to embody the animal's spirit, as well as its form, the "Noble" Pooka can elevate themselves above their common brethren.
                            Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-07-2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

I don't think a self made boggan would be the same as a Boggan noble Kith... Instead I would draw upon ideas like the King of the Dwarves Alvis, or the Ivaldi, or Norðri, Suðri, Austri and Vestri. But depends on how you untangle Myths and Kiths, Dwarves may not exactly mean Boggan, they could, or they could mean Boggan, Nocker and Wiechtal which I like.

Comment

For some reason I'm picturing the nockers as being Metropolis by way of Howl's Moving Castle.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                                X