How to justify a Arcadian Sidhe giving a permanent enchantment as a reward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to justify a Arcadian Sidhe giving a permanent enchantment as a reward

I am planning on writing a series of stories set in the Changeling soon. These stories center around a mortal Private Investigator and his Changeling partner solving cases, both Fae and Human. For the Fae cases, his partner for the first few stories gives him a temporary Enchantment to help solve the cases, with the mortal PI forgetting all the fantastical elements of the case afterwards. Eventually, he is hired by a Sidhe Noblewoman to retrieve a stolen treasure swiped by a treacherous courtier. After the case is solved, she decides to reward him by convincing some of her fellow Fae to help preform the Ritual of Parted Mists, allowing him to see The Dreaming permanently, at least until Banaility gets to him. I have a question though, why would a Arcadian Sidhe reward a PI with a permanent enchantment?

The whims of Fae are pretty standard whenever you deal with them, in whatever setting. A Fae who feels that someone "deserves" something because of some action either serious or less so is pretty much a go to for anything. An Arcadian Sidhe is perhaps even more prone to acting out of some crazy sense of honor vs some humanized vision of it.

Comment

I've never understood the Rite of the Parted Mist. It's a HUUUUUGE risk for both the Changeling and for the Enchanted.

Give him a Treasure ring (or intim piercing - the hardest stuff to steal) with some useful Attached Cantrip (Illuminate or Seer's Wisp would be extreamly useful for a PI and not a big deal to craft), an ta-daam, he is enchanted semi-permanently.

About the question: Is she seelie or unseelie? It could depend on it, Honor-whim, usefulness-crazed love, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
        I've never understood the Rite of the Parted Mist. It's a HUUUUUGE risk for both the Changeling and for the Enchanted.

Give him a Treasure ring (or intim piercing - the hardest stuff to steal) with some useful Attached Cantrip (Illuminate or Seer's Wisp would be extreamly useful for a PI and not a big deal to craft), an ta-daam, he is enchanted semi-permanently.

About the question: Is she seelie or unseelie? It could depend on it, Honor-whim, usefulness-crazed love, etc.
        These are good ideas. I think the Ritual of Parted Mists is pretty limited, and therefore next to useless. Giving the human a Treasure is a much better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post

Actually, that is a good idea. I am still not sure if she is Seelie or Unseelie. Though both would be interesting. Then again one idea for the reason why i had was Usefullness. Which is orobably both a Seelie and Unseelie motivation.
          Last edited by Killerclown; 06-29-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Which Noble House in both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts would have use for a PI?

Comment

All. Wars in politics are fought with information.

But most off all the Seelie Eliuned comes to mind. Their flaw is tied to uncover secrets.

Comment

Yeah, i can see Eliuned doing that. Also, mad love sounds like both a Seelie and Unseelie thing. Though, i do wonder what could draw a Sidhe to a human possibly in his late 30s early 40s?

Comment

Age matters little here both Eiluned and Ailil Sidhe might reward such a PI just based on achievements and skills or in the case of Ailil they might be rewarded just to prove that they were right about this mortal and his abilities.

Fiona are beings of passion and as such can be rather flimsy, should one come to like the PI age wouldn’t matter and the reward could be given in a moment of passion, if treasure as suggested earlier.

In general I don't think most Sidhe would take any particular note of the mortals age, but rather focus on his other qualities. What those qualities are depends on the individual Sidhe and is affected by both House and whether the Sidhe is Arcadian or Autumn, the first are more prone to whims while the latter may put more weight on practical matters.

Gwydion might take note if the PI is particularly honorable and honest in his behaviour.

Aesin might reward great loyalty.

Balor would appreciate ruthlessness and overcoming personal challenges.

Beaumayn could find him interesting for same qualities and reasons as the Eiluned.

House Daireann would naturally reward him for showing hospitality, honor and willigness to get revenge against those who have wronged him.

Dougal might be interested in them if they seem honest and hardworking man.

Leanhaun could find him interesting if he proved capable of spotting and finding Dreamers.

Liam wont need a bigger reason than the PI being their friend for rewarding them.

Scathach themselves often have PI as their mortal profession so they might be interested if the mortal shoved exceptional skill in their profession.

And finally Varich could see the PI’s part in a larger pattern and thus find themselves intrigued by him.

These are ofcourse just rough generalizations and YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
                    Age matters little here both Eiluned and Ailil Sidhe might reward such a PI just based on achievements and skills or in the case of Ailil they might be rewarded just to prove that they were right about this mortal and his abilities.

Fiona are beings of passion and as such can be rather flimsy, should one come to like the PI age wouldn’t matter and the reward could be given in a moment of passion, if treasure as suggested earlier.

In general I don't think most Sidhe would take any particular note of the mortals age, but rather focus on his other qualities. What those qualities are depends on the individual Sidhe and is affected by both House and whether the Sidhe is Arcadian or Autumn, the first are more prone to whims while the latter may put more weight on practical matters.

Gwydion might take note if the PI is particularly honorable and honest in his behaviour.

Aesin might reward great loyalty.

Balor would appreciate ruthlessness and overcoming personal challenges.

Beaumayn could find him interesting for same qualities and reasons as the Eiluned.

House Daireann would naturally reward him for showing hospitality, honor and willigness to get revenge against those who have wronged him.

Dougal might be interested in them if they seem honest and hardworking man.

Leanhaun could find him interesting if he proved capable of spotting and finding Dreamers.

Liam wont need a bigger reason than the PI being their friend for rewarding them.

Scathach themselves often have PI as their mortal profession so they might be interested if the mortal shoved exceptional skill in their profession.

And finally Varich could see the PI’s part in a larger pattern and thus find themselves intrigued by him.

These are ofcourse just rough generalizations and YMMV.
                    If i go Seelie i might make my guy's noble "Benefactor and Patron" either a Eiluned, Fiona, Gwydion, or Dougal. If i go Unseelie, the House would most likely be either Alil, Aesin, Leanhaun, or Daireann . I would figure that the Noblewoman would end up passing "her newest servant" around other local members of her House to either solve issues they have or get dirt on their rivals. Also, i was considering having the noblewoman somehow end up falling in love with the PI as the stories continue with the PI being completley oblivious to it, kinda expanding on the mad love option. How do you think that can work?

Comment

On the whole any plot involving mad love is easiest to go with Fiona who are prone to such passions, though in Fiona’s case the PI may have hard time being oblivious to his patrons affections as their passions tend to burn quite brightly.

Of the Unseelie Houses I’d say that the Leanhaun would perhaps be the likeliest canditate, though their affections may prove to be a dangerous thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
                        On the whole any plot involving mad love is easiest to go with Fiona who are prone to such passions, though in Fiona’s case the PI may have hard time being oblivious to his patrons affections as their passions tend to burn quite brightly.

Of the Unseelie Houses I’d say that the Leanhaun would perhaps be the likeliest canditate, though their affections may prove to be a dangerous thing.
                        Yeah, i can see those two houses having fae like that.
                        Last edited by Killerclown; 07-05-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
                          Yeah, i can see Eliuned doing that. Also, mad love sounds like both a Seelie and Unseelie thing. Though, i do wonder what could draw a Sidhe to a human possibly in his late 30s early 40s?
                          Make the PI a brooding noir man, with experience (ex-cop) with an inner naive, optimistic side and give him the

Comment

Working...
                          X