Apparently there's a huge, official Changeling LARP coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently there's a huge, official Changeling LARP coming

I came across this on Facebook in one of the LARP groups I follow. If I had the time and money to go to the US, I would be there:
    http://atlanticcitydreams.com/

Freelance Writer and Storyteller's Vault contributor. Find my work here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/ind...liate_id=17903

I wonder if that means we'll be seeing C5 sooner than we thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
      I wonder if that means we'll be seeing C5 sooner than we thought?
      I'm...a bit skeptical of that. At the very least, I'd rather take any of the LARP stuff with a grain of salt on predicting the path of future editions of the TRPGs (considering most of the "predictions" based on BNS' Werewolf game turned out to not really be indicative of the direction of W5 based on nuWW's comments).

Also, nuWW's marketing and materials suggest that they're trying to push the Big Three of Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage. And it seems kind of premature to talk about "C5" (or C4 since this would technically be the fourth edition of Changeling) when C20 is only a year old as a gameline.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
      Anyways as for the event itself...I'd love to go, but it's on the other side of the country. Have no idea what the state of my finances will be and if it'll be enough to let me go. So imma just keep an eye on this thing.

Also reading the documents on the site about the LARP...holy shit, this has to be the most depressing direction for Changeling that I've ever seen.

Like, way more then C20, and even more the BNS' take in the Alpha Slice. Never thought they'd go as far as go Shattering 2.0...

Comment

Yikes. The storyline they’re pushing is depressing as fuck. Hope they’re not getting that rubbish from WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit Pooka View Post
          Yikes. The storyline they’re pushing is depressing as fuck. Hope they’re not getting that rubbish from WW.
          ...andas I said above:

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
          I'm...a bit skeptical of that. At the very least, I'd rather take any of the LARP stuff with a grain of salt on predicting the path of future editions of the TRPGs (considering most of the "predictions" based on BNS' Werewolf game turned out to not really be indicative of the direction of W5 based on nuWW's comments).
          Plus the docs state that they're deliberately diverging from the established lore from the TRPG. On top of contradicting C20's lore right out of the gate.

Comment

Right.,

Official in this sense means they have a license to do this, and make money, off of it.

Comment

Yup, officially approved by White Wolf. *G*
              One of the groups involved (Dziobak) are the same who do Convention of Thorns.

Freelance Writer and Storyteller's Vault contributor. Find my work here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/ind...liate_id=17903

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those, what if"-scenarios, used to get a strong and fierce reaction for the single event.
                But, it will probably be used by WW to gauge what the interest in CtD on a event scale is.

Comment

I am a little bit surprised that Changeling is one of the next gamelines considering its divisive place in the WoD...or that it's the second easiest one to do a blockbuster LARP for.

'Cause I imagine doing something for Werewolf or Wraith would be...tricky. Mage not so much.

Comment

I really hope this isn't some indicator of the metaplot NuWhiteWolf wants to go with for when they get around to Changeling, because, just, wow. On the plus side it's working wonders for making all the issues I had with the one in C20 feel tiny by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkK View Post
                      I really hope this isn't some indicator of the metaplot NuWhiteWolf wants to go with for when they get around to Changeling, because, just, wow. On the plus side it's working wonders for making all the issues I had with the one in C20 feel tiny by comparison.
                      *sigh*

...andas I said above:

Plus the docs state that they're deliberately diverging from the established lore from the TRPG. On top of contradicting C20's lore right out of the gate.
                      ...it's like no one reads the thread before posting...
                      ---------------------------------------

Also prices are up and...yeh gods. That's...quite a bit of dough.

Rumplestiltksin ain't kidding when he always says how magic comes with a price.

Comment

*sigh*

...it's like no one reads the thread before posting...
                        ---------------------------------------

Also prices are up and...yeh gods. That's...quite a bit of dough.

Rumplestiltksin ain't kidding when he always says how magic comes with a price.
                        ​The post almost right after yours was from a guy noting "Officially approved by white wolf" with a big ol grin and "by the group who did the Convention of Thorns". It makes it feel like, despite your notes, that this is something that nuwhitewolf could choose to lean into anyway.

Considering that V5 did things like ignore V20 taking the Week of Nightmares out of canon (in order to put it right back in) and the massive shifts otherwise to setting and the like, "we're ignoring what C20 went with to say the plot of Changeling instead will go this way" doesn't frankly feel out of the realm of possibility and thus something I dread for, y'know, being possible, and thereby hope it won't be.

​I read the thread just fine my dude. Specifically I read the post that came a few posts after yours and rolled off of it. You are not the only one who said things in it for people to have reactions to.
                        Last edited by MarkK; 08-06-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Considering that V5 did things like ignore V20 taking the Week of Nightmares out of canon (in order to put it right back in) and the massive shifts otherwise to setting and the like, "we're ignoring what C20 went with to say the plot of Changeling instead will go this way" doesn't frankly feel out of the realm of possibility and thus something I dread for, y'know, being possible, and thereby hope it won't be.
                          Except that's not comparable.

Just in general how V20 was written to be metaplot agnostic and nothing fixed happening until BJD. Or that in V20 they add a sidebar in the back to suggest that if you want to add WoN back into your V20 game, you can. And in general, just to make V5 even viable means delaying some of the Gehenna stuff to revised, not completely getting rid of it.

There's a difference between "retconning" and "optionally canonical".

So no. Not the same as the scenario as going from C20's "High King David is back but locked himself in his freehold" to a theoretical C4e's "Nah, High King David is still missing"

-------------------------------------------------------
                          Incidentally, this particular interpretation of Changeling's setting I don't find particularly too off-base. Gameline always had a tragic element to it that the fun and fantastical world of the fae was temporary and fleeting and that it was all going to go away soon.

Makes sense to me.

Comment

I'm not sure what you feel you're responding to at this point? You complained that people shouldn't be thinking this could possibly end up influencing NuWhiteWolf's take on changeling because you've logic'd that away, in your own opinion, and feel like you're being ignored. I point out I'm not reacting to you at all (you're not even the thread starter) and going off of what read as a post suggesting this could totally have influence in some fashion, and in a way that felt distressingly plausible for what it pointed out about the heft of the people involved, alongside the company's demonstrated willingness to sweepingly alter stuff. You reply to talk about how I'm wrong to think so, but also add "but also these setting changes would make sense anyway." So at this point it reads like, "no they won't, but if they did, I wouldn't have a problem with it anyway." Which reads like mostly that you feel people shouldn't be able to have any potential issue, with anything. Which.. that's great for you?

​I'll regardless say this: NuWW already took one of their lines made massive changes to its setting, re-blew up a clan, implied it blew up another clan, fundamentally changed the core conflicts of its setting, the nature of its sects, killed off or shunted away a bunch of npcs, altered mechanically the base function of characters in hugely different ways, the like.

"Well if it did anything like this in Changeling that would be a retcon" is really unconvincing for something like "they wouldn't do Shattering 2.0 as a means to basically redo the game to however they're picturing" They've shown a willingness to, through whatever means, fundamentally alter and/or excise huge chunks of a game just fine.

​Your basis for waving this off reads like it boils down to "well, but there was a sidebar". You certainly have the prerogative to think that's enough for "there was clearly enough groundwork for again destroying something". And some semantics about "delaying events instead of having them happen, even though the end result is the same of them not happening, just with 'maybe in the future' attached, isn't retconning them". Others may think that's remarkably flimsy.

​If they really felt they weren't "allowed" to retcon anything in a game they owned they could just have David lead new Shattering exodus. This can be influential just fine without them doing exactly note for note what it outlines for how a thing happened.

​So.. I don't know what to tell you. I'm pretty cool with looking at this, going "man I hope this isn't going to have some influence on their take on Changeling" and feel pretty okay and reasonable to say "man I hope this isn't going to have some influence on their take on Changeling." I don't really.. care that you think it would make sense anyway as setting takes go? That's great, for you. I have no desire to engage with you on that. Particularly when all of a sentence saying "man, I hope this doesn't influence their take on Changeling" was it seems offensive enough to you to facilitate you snarking about my lack of reading comprehension, apparently. I feel like that potential conversation would be fairly unfortunate.

​Here is what's happening: This is a take on Changeling I very much dislike (no, I'm not inviting you to try and internet logic combat me into not disliking it, somehow?), presented in a way that feels like it could be influential. As a result, I express dread that it might, and relatedly hope that it will not be influential. This feels within the overall context of: 1) a presentation I don't like and 2) one with fair weight behind thelarp company involved and 3) a gaming company willing to make gigantic changes to games, a reasonable gripe to express as a reaction along with some mingled dread/hope for future developments or lack thereof.

​And even there, the sum total of what I'm saying is not "this will totally happen!" but "I sure hope it doesn't, it feels like it could".

Your take on this really only intersected with mine when you decided to quote me and "sigh" about how people aren't looking at what you say as their guideline for how they're allowed to react to something. That was some serious disdain to invoke for a thread you didn't make, and one in which people posted stuff to be reacted to, after you posted. You now seem to have moved on to what can only make sense as "well you should only be reacting to my statements then, and having them define yours."

It's unfortunate that you seem to think you've made such a definitive statement that should determine the entire course of a thread and shut down people not thinking something is a grand development for its implications on whatever level. That's pretty excessive.

​So, to say it all differently, but I guess with more clarity for you for what I'm reacting to:

Yup, officially approved by White Wolf. *G*
                            One of the groups involved (Dziobak) are the same who do Convention of Thorns.

​Oof, that does seem to lend more weight to an idea that this convention's approach could have some influence on how white wolf does their version of Changeling down the road. I do not like this take on Changeling for a variety of reasons and thereby I hope that it will not be the take on Changeling, nor influence it. I would sure be thrilled to find out that it won't, that would be awesome.
                            Last edited by MarkK; 08-10-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

​I'll regardless say this: NuWW already took one of their lines made massive changes to its setting, re-blew up a clan, implied it blew up another clan, fundamentally changed the core conflicts of its setting, the nature of its sects, killed off or shunted away a bunch of npcs, altered mechanically the base function of characters in hugely different ways, the like.
                              Which is not the same thing as retconning anything, that's simply just progressing the metaplot and nothing more.
                              ​Your basis for waving this off reads like it boils down to "well, but there was a sidebar".
                              No, it's also this line from the pamphlets:
                              The lore of Waking Dreams diverges from the original Changeling: the Dreaming in the Spring of 2004.
                              It's saying right on the tin that they are diverging away from established canon...meaning that there is a fixed canon to diverge from.

And additionally with the MET Werewolf LARP, with people freaking out at the idea that they might split the Garou Nation when Werewolf5 comes along, but clearly from NuWW's comments that's not what they're actually doing.

was it seems offensive enough to you
                              Me? Offended? Please, just who exactly do you take me for?

​And even there, the sum total of what I'm saying is not "this will totally happen!" but "I sure hope it doesn't, it feels like it could".
                              Which is funny since from where I'm sitting it sounded like you were leaning more towards the former over the latter. The way how your posts were written, it made it sound like you were convinced that nuWW would absolutely change things to fit this direction.

Your take on this really only intersected with mine when you decided to quote me and "sigh" about how people aren't looking at what you say as their guideline for how they're allowed to react to something. That was some serious disdain to invoke for a thread you didn't make, and one in which people posted stuff to be reacted to, after you posted. You now seem to have moved on to what can only make sense as "well you should only be reacting to my statements then, and having them define yours."
                              Because there's been a long history of people not reading the rest of threads before they post and thus ignoring posts that have already responded to their similar posts.

It's unfortunate that you seem to think you've made such a definitive statement that should determine the entire course of a thread and shut down people not thinking something is a grand development for its implications on whatever level. That's pretty excessive.
                              I also don't take kindly to the passive aggressive insults there.

​Oof, that does seem to lend more weight to an idea that this convention's approach could have some influence on how white wolf does their version of Changeling down the road. I do not like this take on Changeling for a variety of reasons and thereby I hope that it will not be the take on Changeling, nor influence it. I would sure be thrilled to find out that it won't, that would be awesome.
                              Here's the thing: I follow direct evidence. Not anecdotal impressions. And the evidence so far does not lead me to believe that nuWW is going to retcon anything for a theoretical C4.

Not to mention the evidence seems to indicate that it's going to be a long while before any thought of a new edition of Changeling would ever come out. On top of how C20 has barely started. Nothing seems to indicate that this will be a direction change making it into a theoretical new edition.

Incidentally, "approved by nuWW" on its own doesn't mean anything. That gives no indication of how much creative involvement was involved in making this LARP, nor if Dziobak Studios was required to follow any corporate mandates.

I see no reason to be worried.

And quite frankly, I find maintaining a "nuWW is out to RUIN EVERYTHING!!!" as being completely draining and unproductive mentality to have. It ain't healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X