Question about the Fair Folk book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Fair Folk book

Tried posting this in the Exalted forums but kept getting errors so I figure maybe someone in the CtD forums would be familiar.

The Fair Folk in Exalted seem conceptually similar to a group I'd like to introduce into my WOD chronicle but I have no familiarity with Exalted. Does anyone have an idea of how much flavor and mechanical guidance one could reasonable get from the Fair Folk book without being familiar with Exalted as a whole? Is it a litany of capital words that mean something special in the Exalted system or is there a fair chance I'd be able to pick up some things and modify them to fit in WOD?

The DTRPG preview wasn't quite long enough for me to figure that out. Thanks!

Which Fair Folk book? I find 1st ed more useful for this than 2nd edition, especially mechanically since that edition's system is a lot closer to that used in the World of Darkness.

As to not having any familiarity with Exalted at all nor access to any Exalted corebook, I think that might be hard, although it's hard for me to say for sure since I was pretty familiar with Exalted before I started using the Fair Folk as NPCs in my Changeling the Dreaming game.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
      Which Fair Folk book? I find 1st ed more useful for this than 2nd edition, especially mechanically since that edition's system is a lot closer to that used in the World of Darkness.

As to not having any familiarity with Exalted at all nor access to any Exalted corebook, I think that might be hard, although it's hard for me to say for sure since I was pretty familiar with Exalted before I started using the Fair Folk as NPCs in my Changeling the Dreaming game.
      Didn't know there were multiple editions. I'm looking to outline an umbra faction that is waging war against an outlier realm for the crime of trapping quintessence in fixed form. Is Graceful Wicked Masques the V2 version?

Comment

Tried to respond to your post in the Exalted forum, and it didn't work, so I followed you here.

Forums are kinda borked right now, and you might have multiple posts, or might never see my answer, but I'm going to try.

So first disclaimer is that either edition's books weren't even that helpful even if you were familiar with Exalted, so temper everything else with that. They also presented a set of mechanics that were mostly separate from the main game line, where they almost had their own mini-game they played when they were alone in the Wyld. I read them, and reread them, probably went crazy, and then feel in love with what they could be.

The fluff is fairly similar in both books from what I recall, although First Edition was heavily edited by Jenna Moran, so evocative and whimsical, and second edition is that same material over-reiterated, as material was want to be in second edition. I don't have the First Ed book handy so I can't review it's mechanical implementation, but the in 2nd, the base rules about how Glamour, Fantasies, Fae physiology, and how time and space work in the Wyld is good fodder and a good jumping off point. There's also an extensive Errata, practically bordering on a second version of that book, that's free, although flipping between books is a pain.

Also, yes Graceful Wicked Masues is the Second Edition.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
          Didn't know there were multiple editions. I'm looking to outline an umbra faction that is waging war against an outlier realm for the crime of trapping quintessence in fixed form. Is Graceful Wicked Masques the V2 version?
          Yes, Graceful Wicked Masques is 2nd edition. Exalted the Fair Folk works much better I think for this purpose.

Comment

Honestly the concepts are so other and the mechanics so niche, I don’t know how much use you’d get out of it without being intimately knowledgeable of Exalted mechanics.
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-07-2018, 09:53 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
            X