Clear All

• Nicolas Milioni
    started a topic C20 Player's Guide Is Here

C20 Player's Guide Is Here

Let us get ready for the next dream!

• Windthin
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    Alright, PoD and the final PDF is out...

...aaaaand the Australian kiths still don't have their Revelries written out. Goddammit.

EDIT: OTOH, Infusion was basically rewritten from scratch. Yes, they removed the mandatory Fae 5 requirement from all of the Art levels...except for Infusion 5.
    I gotta say, I am grateful that they did this. The re-write is far better. I do feel that the level 3 power lacks flavor a bit, but I resolved this by noting there ARE other forms of mana batteries and power sources, and I kept the FUBAR stuff from the Nocker book as one of those, something you instead have to go out and capture and contain instead of summoning.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Alright, PoD and the final PDF is out...

...aaaaand the Australian kiths still don't have their Revelries written out. Goddammit.

EDIT: OTOH, Infusion was basically rewritten from scratch. Yes, they removed the mandatory Fae 5 requirement from all of the Art levels...except for Infusion 5.
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 07-03-2019, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    Query: Yawkyawks. Can you assume ALL of those creature types? I am not against it, most of them re pretty specialized and/or blatant, and they're quite limited in their Glamour-collecting abilities outside of their native lands.

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    Yes. I personally decided to re-cast their Biloko as Aziza from Western Africa, which seem to fit better, as I already had an Eloko analogue in my game.

The Djedi appear based solely on the legend of an ancient Egyptian magician, similar to how the Eshu are drawn from the god Eshu.

The Obambo come from a Central and south-western African legend of a type of spirit found in ghost stories.

The Kuino are rooted in far western African, Guinea primarily.

All I can find on the Okubili is that it's a Zulu word. They were the one I can find the least on. That would place them primarily in South Africa.

In my game I also have my own version of the Eloko (which is a Central African legend I feel their version doesn't much resemble), Izimu (one of many names for ogre-like beings in the Bantu languages), Tokoloshe (noxious South African gremlin types), Kinyonga (a chameleon Kith based on the role of the chameleon in many tales), the Mami Wata (a mermaid-like Kith with piscine or serpentine features from West and Central Africa that has also become a legend through much of the Caribbean and South America), Mino and Minona (from the same cultures that bring the Eshu, and partially based on the warrior Amazons of the Dahomey/Fon people), and Yumboes, (West Africa, a Piskey variant).

I also would like to note that I think they missed out on a chance to meld African and South American culture. FAR more Africans went to South America than North America during the slave trade, sadly. Between 1502 and 1866, of the 11.2 million Africans sent to the Americas, only 388,000 arrived in the U.S., while the rest arrived in Latin America and the Caribbean. This is why there is a MASSIVE amount of African religion and mythology infused into many Latin American countries, particularly Brazil, much of the Caribbean, and certain nations like Belize in Central America. I tend to run that African Kiths are vastly more common than European ones down south, and also note the big wave of Asian immigration during the late 1800s and early 1900s.

The Obambo, Aziza/Eloko, and Kuino all belong to cultures that were heavily drawn from during the slave trade also, though the Kuino feel like they would have avoided being the ones sent a lot. Sadly, a lot of the slave trade was facilitated by enriching Africa kingdoms who engaged in it... or conquering them and adding them to it if they tried to stand against it. Guinea was one of those places heavily involved in the trade.
    Last edited by Windthin; 05-05-2019, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Does anyone have a list of the sort of myths that things are being drawn from for the Land of Ancient Dreams? I'm fairly completely lost on the african kiths

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Huh... the Encantado text mentions them shedding animal form for human at night, but their mechanics don't reference having animal forms at all.... (fyi, encantados are Amazon River dolphins in actual folklore)
    I have a version of them already written and am probably sticking with my version, or perhaps combining them. I've already sent in a form about the lack of talking about their origins from the pink dolphins of the Amazon, and that they over-looked giving them any shapeshifting or aquatic ability.

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    I actually have the Peri under the heading of Apsaras. Also, Si'lat, Marid, Jann, and Hann; I did a version of the Djinn as six types of Inanimae, and in the end decided to keep them AND the four Jinn in the book, since often in many languages certain words had multiple meanings depending on context.

Se’irim looks like it could be a localized version of Satyrs very easily. I have a page set up for my game that goes into alternate variations, and I notice the C20 PG talks about that itself, like using different core Kiths as types of Spirit Beings, which I find neat.
    Last edited by Windthin; 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Huh... the Encantado text mentions them shedding animal form for human at night, but their mechanics don't reference having animal forms at all.... (fyi, encantados are Amazon River dolphins in actual folklore)
    Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
    Sounds like Infusion needs some work. Might there be an "upgrade" (with revisions) for those who already bought the book ?
    To the shiny new errata Google form!

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Sounds like Infusion needs some work. Might there be an "upgrade" (with revisions) for those who already bought the book ?

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied
    So I have some concerns about Infusion too (though I love the rest of the book). All the cantrips but one require and can only be used with Fae 5. This massively reduces the usefulness of the Art.

Does Toughen last permanently? Or does it use the durations from Harden? If the latter, do you divide successes between duration and effect, or not?

In the next level, FUBARs are just the chimerical equivalent of batteries. I'm not sure their creation needs to be the sole focus of a cantrip. Either FUBARs should be possible to make with crafting rules alone, or this cantrip needs to be broadened to imbue any object and being with Glamour (such as Treasures, chimera and fae) so that a readily crafted receptacle can be given its own Glamour score that way. Then it's more like Toughen, but conferring extra Glamour rather than extra health levels.

Beyond that, what's the system for how they work? Do you install one and then you don't have to worry about powering the device for seven whole months? Does the one point of Glamour per month after this provide enough power to keep the whole device running? How big a machine and how complex? Or is the device now like a chimera in itself, in that it replenishes Glamour on its own simply by being in the Dreaming? If so, is a FUBAR in an automaton a chimera within a chimera?

The cheesy name of Infusion 5 aside, this, too, is pretty limited in terms of Realms. To widen this, couldn't it just impart dots of Intelligence to any being or object, again somewhat like Toughen? Creating intelligent plants or machines, and boosting the IQ of your companions would be very cool.

You could easily balance increased stats by a) making it a one-off (as with Toughen), b) making it last a scene or a day, or c) by dividing successes between duration and dots. Though there's an Art that literally resurrects people, so balance may not be needed.
    Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 05-05-2019, 05:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Windthin View Post
    Amusingly, I already had Jinn in my setting, but I can still make it work with the new stuff. heh.

On Infusion, there are three rolls for 4 and 2 for 5. For 4, there are two sets of extended rolls and THEN the Cantrip. Which seems to be all or nothing, which I find disappointing, that the Cantrip roll itself does nothing other than indicate success or failure, no matter how well you do on it.
    I Read the lack of a cantrp roll being mentioned at all in 3 and 4 as the Rolls being a replacement for standard Cantrip rolls.. especially since 5 explicitly has a cantrip roll while there is no explicit mention of what cantrip rolls do for 3 or 4.

Now just to writeup up the Se’irim and the Peri to join the Jinn...
    and the Marid

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Now just to writeup up the Se’irim and the Peri to join the Jinn...

Leave a comment:

• Windthin
    replied
    Amusingly, I already had Jinn in my setting, but I can still make it work with the new stuff. heh.

On Infusion, there are three rolls for 4 and 2 for 5. For 4, there are two sets of extended rolls and THEN the Cantrip. Which seems to be all or nothing, which I find disappointing, that the Cantrip roll itself does nothing other than indicate success or failure, no matter how well you do on it.

On 5, there are two rolls. One for the Cantrip, and then one to imbue intelligence. I've been assuming this is separate, but.... I guess if it's counted as part OF the Cantrip, instead of just building like with 4, then it could be modified via the usual methods of Glamour, bunks, etc. It doesn't specifically state it, though. It should.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X