Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycian Characters (C20 Player Guide)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lycian Characters (C20 Player Guide)

    First off, I love the concept of Chimera player characters. I generally allow such creatures for players that cannot make regular gaming sessions, and as "stock" characters for new players. And the Lycians allow such characters suitable for main characters.

    For my own use as a Storyteller, I would have the backstory for Lycians be that they were rare before the resurgence, and not a new phenomenon. Rather, in my home campaigns, similar beings were fairly common in some places and circumstances, embodying the new mythologies of the modern world. Chimera associated with Sports Team Mascots, the Lottery, the Zodiac, Industry and a wide assortment of Urban Legends were downright common in the Near Dreaming.

    So I find myself pondering PC and NPC concepts for Lycians. How to best portray these beings in a game, both as play character "templates" and suggestions and for the use of storytelling.

    I am curious about what you all think of the Lycians and what you might do with these creatures in your games?



    “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

  • #2
    Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
    First off, I love the concept of Chimera player characters. I generally allow such creatures for players that cannot make regular gaming sessions, and as "stock" characters for new players. And the Lycians allow such characters suitable for main characters.

    For my own use as a Storyteller, I would have the backstory for Lycians be that they were rare before the resurgence, and not a new phenomenon. Rather, in my home campaigns, similar beings were fairly common in some places and circumstances, embodying the new mythologies of the modern world. Chimera associated with Sports Team Mascots, the Lottery, the Zodiac, Industry and a wide assortment of Urban Legends were downright common in the Near Dreaming.

    I thought that was teh canon or did I misread?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lian View Post
      I thought that was teh canon or did I misread?
      No. Page 104 states: "Lycian chimera, however, are a recent phenomenon." And that the Inanimae are working hard to understand them.

      All of which is fine for the metaplot. But for my purposes I would have them as present in other times. Perhaps being the many nature and city spirits of the Nunnehi, Kwannon-Jin (rather than using Umbrood) and others.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM.


      “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
      Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

      Comment


      • #4
        Just got the book and read over these guys... it occurs to me that they would make a great Toy Story campaign....
        Last edited by EndlessKng; 05-07-2019, 08:22 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
          Just got the book and read over these guys... it occurs to me that they would make a great Toy Story campaign....

          Fun fact: a couple of things were cut for space. One of them was a sidebar of inspirational resources for Lycian chronicles in which the Toy Story movies were mentioned by name.


          Charlie Cantrell
          Onyx Path Freelancer
          Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
            Fun fact: a couple of things were cut for space. One of them was a sidebar of inspirational resources for Lycian chronicles in which the Toy Story movies were mentioned by name.
            Might we see some of these cut bits? I for one will be allowing Lycian characters in my campaigns.


            “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
            Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

            Comment


            • #7
              I'll see what I can do. If I'm able to, I'll probably post it as a free download on Storyteller's Vault so it'll always be easily accessible.


              Charlie Cantrell
              Onyx Path Freelancer
              Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

              Comment


              • #8
                While we have a thread for it I did have a question to clarify.

                There seems to be a disconnect between origin and guise and the object the Lycian arises from. For instance, the example of the Mustang, representing freedom of the road, is listed as having a human form (on the human/animal/mythic axis) and represents a concept but is embodied in an object. Does the Lycian appear humanoid in the dreaming or am I misunderstanding the connection? It seemed like they are supposed to manifest in the form of whatever they are, but that seemed to imply an anthropomorphic avatar.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Their Shape is like a changeling's fae mein, while their Guise is sort of like a mortal seeming. They're all mundane things that have awakened and gained a chimerical overlay in the process. How that manifests is going to vary a lot from Lycian to Lycian, even between ones with the same Guise and Shape. A Lycian whose Guise is a car and Shape is humanoid might manifest as a person who rides along with the driver in a passenger seat or sits on the hood or trunk to talk to people outside the car or even the car's diver when the Lycian is moving about on their own. On the other hand, a Lycian whose Guise is a sea shell and Shape is humanoid might appear chimercially as a person wearing the sea shell as a necklace or a helmet or a ring or might just have some qualities that evoke a feeling of a sea shell while the mundane sea shell itself is completely subsumed within their chimerical form.

                  It's really limited only by the imagination of the player or Storyteller. The one caveat is that Guise and Shape are inseparable unless the Lycian possesses the Two Places at Once rede.
                  Last edited by PookaKnight; 05-07-2019, 01:23 PM.


                  Charlie Cantrell
                  Onyx Path Freelancer
                  Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
                    On the other hand, a Lycian whose Guise is a sea shell and Shape is humanoid might appear chimercially as a person wearing the sea shell as a necklace or a helmet or a ring or might just have some qualities that evoke a feeling of a sea shell while the mundane sea shell itself is completely subsumed within their chimerical form.

                    It's really limited only by the imagination of the player or Storyteller. The one caveat is that Guise and Shape are inseparable unless the Lycian possesses the Two Places at Once rede.
                    In the Sea Shell example above, the humanoid form would be entirely chimerical/ephemera? It would need Wyrd to have a body in the Autumn world?


                    “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To the unenchanted, yeah, the sea shell is just a sea shell. If it wants to do something impossible for a sea shell to do and there's a mortal onlooker, the Lycian needs the Wyrd rede or to convince their Changeling Companion to Call the Wyrd.

                      Edit: or risk gaining Banality, assuming the mortal onlooker's Banality isn't too high.

                      Edit 2: Forgot we're talking about a humanoid Lycian. Their Shape protects them from Banality due to mortal witnesses because it's easier for the Mists to blur people's perceptions about what's actually going on.
                      Last edited by PookaKnight; 05-07-2019, 02:12 PM.


                      Charlie Cantrell
                      Onyx Path Freelancer
                      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
                        To the unenchanted, yeah, the sea shell is just a sea shell. If it wants to do something impossible for a sea shell to do and there's a mortal onlooker, the Lycian needs the Wyrd rede or to convince their Changeling Companion to Call the Wyrd.

                        Edit: or risk gaining Banality, assuming the mortal onlooker's Banality isn't too high.

                        Edit 2: Forgot we're talking about a humanoid Lycian. Their Shape protects them from Banality due to mortal witnesses because it's easier for the Mists to blur people's perceptions about what's actually going on.
                        Okay. Got it now. Between your two posts you made it super clear and I appreciate it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ok I have a couple of questions:

                          What is the Thematic Difference between a Mannikin and a Lycian? What makes some concept fall on one side or the other?

                          Ok Second, are most Lycians like.. Buzz or Woody? Should they be going around thinking they are a spaceman/magical girl etc or should they IN General know what they are?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lian View Post
                            Ok I have a couple of questions:

                            What is the Thematic Difference between a Mannikin and a Lycian? What makes some concept fall on one side or the other?
                            Inanimae are, on the whole, classic elementals. Lycians are elementals of the Anthropocene.

                            Inanimae and Lycians have a certain amount of overlap — they're both fundamentally stories about living objects. The Inanimae themselves see enough similarities to believe the Lycians are new dream destined to usurp their place in the Dreaming someday. From an in-game perspective, the biggest difference between them is that the Inanimae are immortal faerie souls inhabiting an object to protect themselves against Banality while Lycians are simply an inanimate object that's accumulated enough Glamour to awaken as a chimera. A Lycian's existence is much more temporary than an Inanimae's.

                            Out of game, it really depends on the kinds of stories you want to tell. Inanimae are, like other changelings, immortals that have lived many lifetimes and will probably continue living even after their current body is destroyed. They just need to find a new Anchor. Lycians have only one life to live and are inseparable from their Guises. A teddy bear Mannikin has probably lived longer than the child she currently plays with and will likely continue living long after the child passes away. A teddy bear Lycian has only ever known the child who gave her life and will probably die when the child outgrows her.

                            [Edit to add: Inanimae are also more in control of their own destiny. Like other changelings, they're the masters of dreams. They have an Antithesis, but as long as they don't cross it, they can do whatever they want. Lycians are chimera, so they're ruled by the dream that birthed them. They have a Thesis which governs what they can and can't do.]

                            Ok Second, are most Lycians like.. Buzz or Woody? Should they be going around thinking they are a spaceman/magical girl etc or should they IN General know what they are?
                            I'd say the proportion of Lycians who know they're a chimera vs believe they're actually a spaceman or whatever is about the same as it for any other chimera. In other words, do what works best for your game and the kinds of stories you're telling.
                            Last edited by PookaKnight; 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM.


                            Charlie Cantrell
                            Onyx Path Freelancer
                            Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

                              Inanimae are, on the whole, classic elementals. Lycians are elementals of the Anthropocene.

                              Inanimae and Lycians have a certain amount of overlap — they're both fundamentally stories about living objects. The Inanimae themselves see enough similarities to believe the Lycians are new dream destined to usurp their place in the Dreaming someday. From an in-game perspective, the biggest difference between them is that the Inanimae are immortal faerie souls inhabiting an object to protect themselves against Banality while Lycians are simply an inanimate object that's accumulated enough Glamour to awaken as a chimera. A Lycian's existence is much more temporary than an Inanimae's.

                              Out of game, it really depends on the kinds of stories you want to tell. Inanimae are, like other changelings, immortals that have lived many lifetimes and will probably continue living even after their current body is destroyed. They just need to find a new Anchor. Lycians have only one life to live and are inseparable from their Guises. A teddy bear Mannikin has probably lived longer than the child she currently plays with and will likely continue living long after the child passes away. A teddy bear Lycian has only ever known the child who gave her life and will probably die when the child outgrows her.

                              [Edit to add: Inanimae are also more in control of their own destiny. Like other changelings, they're the masters of dreams. They have an Antithesis, but as long as they don't cross it, they can do whatever they want. Lycians are chimera, so they're ruled by the dream that birthed them. They have a Thesis which governs what they can and can't do.]

                              That helps some but I'm honestly I think that makes it harder for me grok the Empire of Flickers.


                              I'd say the proportion of Lycians who know they're a chimera vs believe they're actually a spaceman or whatever is about the same as it for any other chimera. In other words, do what works best for your game and the kinds of stories you're telling.
                              I'm honestly not sure what's best. I Can see advantages to both


                              Thirdish question: Could a Lycian be a Chimerical companion(the background?)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X