Lycian Characters (C20 Player Guide)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lian View Post

That helps some but I'm honestly I think that makes it harder for me grok the Empire of Flickers.
    It might help to think of the Empire of Flickers as the Inanimae faction that is actively trying to evolve the Inanimae for the modern Dreaming. They're probably the ones most actively trying to synthesize the Inanimae dream and the Lycian dream so that when destiny eventually strikes, the Inanimae can thrive instead of being displaced.

Thirdish question: Could a Lycian be a Chimerical companion(the background?)
    They can take the Changeling Companion background, which implies that they're a changeling's Chimerical Companion. I'm pretty sure the Views from Without section also talks a bit about Kithain, Inanimae, and Thallain having Lycian Chimerical Companions. So yeah, I don't see why not. If I were STing and one of my players wanted to take a Lycian Chimerical Companion, I'd probably just use the standard Chimerical Companion rules for simplicity's sake with the NPC's Lycian nature being story based instead of rules based. As always though, whatever works best for your play style and your gaming group is the best way to go.

Charlie Cantrell
    Onyx Path Freelancer
    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

It might help to think of the Empire of Flickers as the Inanimae faction that is actively trying to evolve the Inanimae for the modern Dreaming. They're probably the ones most actively trying to synthesize the Inanimae dream and the Lycian dream so that when destiny eventually strikes, the Inanimae can thrive instead of being displaced.
      Just so we're on the same page, that's the Inanimae of artificial light, yeah? 'Cause the Empire of Flickers keeps getting associated with mannikins in C20, who're the Empire of Dolls.

Any chance of the Empire of artificial light ever getting covered?

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Yeah, but by the nature of the phyla, the Empire of Flickers is going to be limited to certain ones. Mannikins and solimonds are probably the vast majority, if not the exclusive members of, the empire with the fewest Inanimae.

As for if there will ever be more word count devoted to Flickers, only time will tell. I have no inside information, but my guess is that Player's Guide sales numbers will determine if we get any more source books.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Right, I get it - Flickers generally takes its members from other phyla, rather than having a signature phyla of its own. Gotcha.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Mannikins are an evolutionary step, defined by subjective perception of the human shape rather than material. The Empire of Flickers are the inanimae eqivalent of transhumanists as chimerical postmodernists

Comment

Originally posted by El Barto View Post
              Mannikins are an evolutionary step, defined by subjective perception of the human shape rather than material. The Empire of Flickers are the inanimae eqivalent of transhumanists as chimerical postmodernists

That does put the situation of Crofted Inanimae into question... if I make a Wooden Puppet it could be an anchor for mannikin.. but also a Kubara

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

That does put the situation of Crofted Inanimae into question... if I make a Wooden Puppet it could be an anchor for mannikin.. but also a Kubara
                Exactly! Likewise, if the Anchor is one of those wooden console TVs from the 70's and 80's, do you have a mannikin, solimond, or kubara? Which Empire does the Inanimae belong to? I'd say the answer ultimately comes down to what sort of character concept the players has in mind.

I'd also say we're straying pretty far from the actual topic

Charlie Cantrell
                Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

[QUOTE=PookaKnight;n1312570]

They can take the Changeling Companion background, which implies that they're a changeling's Chimerical Companion. I'm pretty sure the Views from Without section also talks a bit about Kithain, Inanimae, and Thallain having Lycian Chimerical Companions. So yeah, I don't see why not. If I were STing and one of my players wanted to take a Lycian Chimerical Companion, I'd probably just use the standard Chimerical Companion rules for simplicity's sake with the NPC's Lycian nature being story based instead of rules based. As always though, whatever works best for your play style and your gaming group is the best way to go.
                  Well, I'm unhappy with Infusion as is currently written but I had a bit of an epiphany. A way to make Gigul/Its Alive more broadly functional than just Fae 5.. to allow the Creation of Lycans.. or is that Too powerful?

Comment

What Backgrounds are really okay for a Lycian to pick up? A floater in my group is thinking of playing one when he's able to attend sessions. Would love to hear everyone's opinions, the bit we get in the book leaves me with a few questions.

Comment

Reviving this old thread, since the "overlay" answers from PookaKnight helped clear up a lot of confusion about the Shape vs Guise dilemma.

So, if Roma's Guise is "the GPS coordinates of Rome," would it be that she can appear anywhere within Rome, or to teleport between any phone or computer that had a Google Maps open with Rome ("All Roads lead to Rome. Even on the Internet Superhighway")? Or is this itself a matter of ST interpretation?

Is there a particular "limit" to how large a Guise itself can be? For example, if one wanted to make Old Ironsides as an Oppidian that was anchored to the USS Constitution, would there be any mechanical disadvantage there, beyond the Constitution being anchored/it presumably requiring the Two Places At Once Rede?

Can a Lycian be "forced" out of its anchor, or used as a material to create a Treasure, and if so, could it thus have Glamour Pact?

The Bucolic example of the albino deer confuses me. Is the deer itself the Guise? I thought only inanimate items could be Guise proper?

Say there is an oddball case: The stirrups from the Lone Ranger set are now the Guise for a Maeutic Animal (a horse) representing "The Good Cowboy." Say a Kithain dons the stirrups, mounting the horse, and goes "Hi Ho, Silver, Away!" Riding off to save the day, both parties forget to Wyrd the Lycian, and they come across some confused townfolk...How does the Banality trigger resolution resolve then?

How do you track "lethal damage" for a Guise that exists as an abstract concept by the way?

Also, I assume a Lycian doesn't get the same rate of accelerated Glamour regen as a normal Chimera, while in the Dreaming?
                      Last edited by MagicJuggler; 12-05-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X