Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pooka Frailty seems To by one of the most Hard to interact in the Mortal world.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pooka Frailty seems To by one of the most Hard to interact in the Mortal world.

Sure the Sluagh Frailty of not being Able to Talk Above a Whisper seems Annoying but they could just Not speck to people and Learn Sign language.

But the Pooka curse. Imagine trying to tell your mortal Siblings you love them only to say you hate their guts and have them run to Mom and when you try to explain that to her well.

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
    Sure the Sluagh Frailty of not being Able to Talk Above a Whisper seems Annoying but they could just Not speck to people and Learn Sign language.

But the Pooka curse. Imagine trying to tell your mortal Siblings you love them only to say you hate their guts and have them run to Mom and when you try to explain that to her well.
    Fortunately you do not always say the opposite of what you because it does not work like that.

Conversations with Pooka tend to play more like this:

Sibling: "Love you."
    Arc-as-Pooka: *loaded with teasing and warm body language* "Yeah, I kinda think you're all right too."

You just can't take the direct route, that's about it.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

That still seems really annoying.

Speaking of Pooka I have been thinking of the Cast of Homestuck as Kithin , Nepeta is a Cat Pooka who uses Role-playing as a way to get around her Frailty.

John is either a Rabbit Pooka fitting his Free spited Nature amd love of Pranks. or a Eshu,

I always Imagined Karkat as a Boggan, albeit one how swears like a Nocker,
      Last edited by Konradleijon; 05-14-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

It's annoying, but it's not a deal breaker.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
        Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

It's not my favorite part of CtD, but Frailties are supposed to be weaknesses... so they're supposed to make your character's life more difficult. Trouble communicating effectively is something lots of us deal with anyway (from both sides of the conversation). I don't find it particularly enjoyable to have to play it all the time, but it's also very simple to adapt to.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post

That's not how it works, Pooka have to be complicated with their words but they don't have to lie on every single thing. THEY DO have make a willpower check to force themselves to tell the truth if someone asks them a direct question, but sarcasm is a pretty strong option here. It in no way makes you have to tell the people you love that you hate them(though if you want to be Tsundere about it...) as long as you are having real human conversations and not random sentences broken off on theirown.

For example I'm talking with my sister, "Hey did you know Detective Pikachu is set in the Godzilla Cinematic universe" while she's paused in confusion you walk up hug her and say "anyway love you sis" and go off...

Honestly there are much worse Frailities for "Don't talk to people ever"

Comment

The original Pooka book has an excellent section on Pooka-ese, the many different ways you can live up to it.

There's long rambling stories, there's lies mixed with truth ("You know, my pal Johnny Two-Teeth always said, 'Kim, you should never tell people your name unless they ask'."), there's phrasing things as questions... it's roundabout, but no worse than the crazy wisdom of many classic seer and sage type characters.

Comment

Pooka are generally considered annoying but endearing persons. I have known many RL persons with this frailty. Bull$hitters, braggers, con artists, contrarians, conspiracy theorists, habitual opinion-givers, and the permanently confused. All of them are irritating, but are often really good friends (if you can stand the company).

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
                  Pooka are generally considered annoying but endearing persons. I have known many RL persons with this frailty. Bull$hitters, braggers, con artists, contrarians, conspiracy theorists, habitual opinion-givers, and the permanently confused. All of them are irritating, but are often really good friends (if you can stand the company).

That's what the other birth Right is for!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

That's what the other birth Right is for!
                    True enough! Though I am referencing the real life people with the "Untruths" frailty. Who are many.
                    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

True enough! Though I am referencing the real life people with the "Untruths" frailty. Who are many.

I mean many of the people I know who fall under it IRL, may not LITTERALLY have that second birthright. They do feel like someone you can talk to for better or worse. So I an see where the idea came from?

Comment

As a storyteller, I once did a big info dump with a Pooka NPC. It was hard, but really fun, trying to figure out how to get the meaning across without actually telling the complete truth. I think I did pretty well, and the PCs seemed to get the idea of what was going on.

One way to easily get your point across as a Pooka, if they know you're a Pooka, is to look them dead in the eyes and say something as simple and as opposite from what you mean as possible. For example, if a Pooka said to me, "You will survive the night," I would be very, very afraid.

Comment

Honestly If you read "There's no Such thing as Dragons"(Which contains both Dragons and Pooka the best thing of all!) I'd say that's pretty much solidly gets things across. There's a sense of the narrator not being entirely honest but there's a truth beneath.

Comment

Also, it depends a lot on the version you are playing. The old larp rules made a distinction between normal birthrights and frailties and Wyrd ones. Unless you had a specific merit or flaw (for birthrights qnd frailties respectively) the Wyrd ones didn't function with relation to the mortal world. Pooka couldn't turn into an animal around people as a result (though once changed stayed that way until they changed back), but also only had to throw in the untruths if they were talking to fae beings and enchanted. Though they may still lead some blarney into a speech to mortals, they could speak to them normally.

Also, think about this - there has to be an untruth. This can include lies of omission, exaggeration, or other forms of not-a-lie tricks. they arguably should be somewhat substantial and not just little things or mental reservations, but think abou the last time in your life you went an ENTIRE conversation longer than a couple minutes without throwing in just a bit of bullshit. Pookas fo that but more so.

Comment

Speak like a politician. Never answer a question directly.

Or speak like a politician. Never answer without metaphors.

Comment

Working...
                              X