Childling Campaigns. How to make a memorable game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childling Campaigns. How to make a memorable game

I have been thinking on a campaign in which all of the player characters are Childlings. And I am curious as to other peoples experiences with such a campaign. Seems like a potentially wonderful game and chronicle, with some pretty powerful potential for growth.

Some ideas that pop into my mind are as follows.

MOULDIWARP ACADEMY OF NEW YORK
    The Mouldiwarp Academy is an all-fae (changeling, kinain and various fae blooded persons) independent day school located in Manhattan in New York City. The focus of the school is to watch over and educate fae children from Kindergarten through grade ten. The school focuses on Fae history, magical philosophy, alternate sciences and learning of Arts and Realms. As far as the Autumn world is concerned this is a school for gifted children (music, dance, mathematics, etc.), though mortals would be confused by the weird range of students.
    The Academy itself is housed in a distinguished building located in Upper Midtown Manhattan, not far from Central Park. Though of modest size compared to other private schools, the use of cunning architecture and glamour, the building is much bigger on the inside. The school has its own library, lab, dining hall and a rooftop observatory.

Principle Beatrice Arden
    Undisputed ruler of the academy, Principle Arden is a Sluagh Kinain sorceress of great presence. She has a glare that can skin a redcap from across a crowded room. She also has a tremendous grasp of the arts of Autumn, Soothsay and Wayfair.

Mr. Appleby
    This ever-friendly, larger than life man is the owner and primary benefactor of the school. He clearly has command of great magic, is very rich, and he is certainly not a mortal. Mr. Appleby is only rarely seen at the school, as he is off on official business most of the time, preferring to send one of his assistants. Whenever he does visit, everyone knows it. None of the childlings have discovered who or what Mr. Appleby is, and if the teachers know, they are not talking. Still, he is funny and friendly and always seems to have a sweet and a smile for kids.
    Notes: Mr. Appleby is none other than an Incarnae of City Father totem of Manhattan. He has been watching over New York fae for ages, and started the Academy in the hopes that they will keep the creative spark of the city beating.

Magic School Bus!
    Field trips are particularly wonderful thanks to Dr. Spittle’s Improbable Short bus. With this willful vehicle, the childlings of the academy can travel to historic dream realms to see dinosaurs or meet Abraham Lincoln, or to fly out to the moons of Saturn or into the boozy bloodstream of the gym teacher.

Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-10-2019, 08:52 AM.

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

No I have not! Thank you.

Happy to help, enjoy the read through.

Don't worry, the art style improves considerably over time.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Not sure if you've heard of this webcomic, but Skin Deep, by Kory Bing sounds like an amazing source of inspiration as well.
    No I have not! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Below are some major inspirations for the setting I have in mind. All are highly recommended for Changeling games and other Urban fantasy settings.
    Not sure if you've heard of this webcomic, but Skin Deep, by Kory Bing sounds like an amazing source of inspiration as well.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Below are some major inspirations for the setting I have in mind. All are highly recommended for Changeling games and other Urban fantasy settings.

Fables series (comic) by Bill Willingham and illustration crew
    What the Cat Told Me (short story) by Diana Wynne Jones.
    Hilda (comic book and animated series) by Luke Pearson.
    Gunnerkrigg Court (webcomic) by Tom Siddell
    Gargoyles (TV series)
    Jacob Two-Two (Books and TV series) by Mordecai Richler
    The Trouble with Miss Switch (book and TV cartoon) by Barbara Brooks Wallace
    The Addams Family (comics and TV show) by Chuck Addams
    New York: The Unknown City by Brad Dunn and Daniel Hood

Other sources of interest are:

Are you Afraid of the Dark (TV series) by D.J. MacHale and Ned Kandel
    Batman: The Animated Series
    Bone Chillers (TV series) by Betsy Haynes
    Hellboy (comic) by Mike Mignola.
    Horrible Histories (TV series and books) by Terry Deary
    Oz Squad (comic) by Steve Ahlquist and Andrew Murphy
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

Yes. Good point. Dauntain creeps in vans make more sense.

Absolutely, and that's sure to lead to some very dark stories. As is appropriate for World of Darkness.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied

Autumn People might be fine, but probably not Dauntain. As I understand it, the Fey's approach to handling them is to kill on sight, preferably with a cold iron weapon. Unlike Autumn People, who simply don't believe in the Dreaming, the Dauntain actively wish to destroy it. Their very presence within the Dreaming contaminates it with nihilism, despair, sickness, cruelty and other forms of evil. They're anathema to everything the Dreaming stands for, and Changelings can not afford to tolerate their presence for long.
    Yes. Good point. Dauntain creeps in vans make more sense.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

Major themes in the background would be fae politics, Autumn People and Dauntain on the Board of Education, real-world dangers, and other supernaturals muscling in. Most of this would be out of the view of Childling characters, but they would catch the edges and get caught in various cross-fire situations.
    Autumn People might be fine, but probably not Dauntain. As I understand it, the Fey's approach to handling them is to kill on sight, preferably with a cold iron weapon. Unlike Autumn People, who simply don't believe in the Dreaming, the Dauntain actively wish to destroy it. Their very presence within the Dreaming contaminates it with nihilism, despair, sickness, cruelty and other forms of evil. They're anathema to everything the Dreaming stands for, and Changelings can not afford to tolerate their presence for long.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied

Oh, I didn't mean they abducted them. I meant the whole merging with their souls kind of thing. Some players like to attribute the Changeling Way to body snatching.

Maybe throw in an Awakened mage or two, to encourage the non-Changeling kids to think outside the established consensus when dealing with problems?
    I can see that for Arcadian Sidhe, and some of the darker Fae. But for my own tastes, that's not how I run changeling games. Of course that could make for some great back stories for some of the nastier, rich kids.

Major themes in the background would be fae politics, Autumn People and Dauntain on the Board of Education, real-world dangers, and other supernaturals muscling in. Most of this would be out of the view of Childling characters, but they would catch the edges and get caught in various cross-fire situations.

I am a long-time fan of Mage, so having a mage or two as friendlies to the school is appealing. Though I would probably treat any Mages as Hedge Magicians rather than awakened Mages. I want to focus on changelings, kinain and enchanted mortals.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

Ah. I was thinking it would be a registered school to the mortal world, but private. Manhattan has many such places.

To fae and enchanted persons, it would be a magic school. Bigger on the Dreaming side..

Oh, I didn't mean they abducted them. I meant the whole merging with their souls kind of thing. Some players like to attribute the Changeling Way to body snatching.

Maybe throw in an Awakened mage or two, to encourage the non-Changeling kids to think outside the established consensus when dealing with problems?

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied

Even if you limit it to just 100 Changelings, that would still mean 100 kids just got snatched up by fairies.

I like the Magic School Bus idea, though. Especially if there's that one Banal kid in the class who always has to point out why the selected field trips are a bad idea.
    Ah. I was thinking it would be a registered school to the mortal world, but private. Manhattan has many such places.

To fae and enchanted persons, it would be a magic school. Bigger on the Dreaming side..
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-10-2019, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

Oh yes. And as the shadows lengthen, all sorts of stories could take place.

However, private schools can have a pretty small student body. But perhaps the attendees could include mortal dreamers. Kind of like Fame.

Even if you limit it to just 100 Changelings, that would still mean 100 kids just got snatched up by fairies.

I like the Magic School Bus idea, though. Especially if there's that one Banal kid in the class who always has to point out why the selected field trips are a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Honestly, a school built specifically for Changeling society sounds like it would be a godsend for warding off The Long Winter.

Though having enough student attendees to keep the school running would have dark implications for the youth of the city it's located in.
    Oh yes. And as the shadows lengthen, all sorts of stories could take place.

However, private schools can have a pretty small student body. But perhaps the attendees could include mortal dreamers. Kind of like Fame.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-09-2019, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Honestly, a school built specifically for Changeling society sounds like it would be a godsend for warding off The Long Winter.

Though having enough student attendees to keep the school running would have dark implications for the youth of the city it's located in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X