FAE PEOPLES AND CREATURES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAE PEOPLES AND CREATURES

The fae beings running around in the World of Darkness are a fascinating subject. From Fairy Animals and Urban Legends to societies of Fae-kin making their way in the Autumn World. So here I will be posting some ideas I have been kicking around.

NIDARVELLIM (KINAIN BLOOD-KIN)

The Nidarvellim, or Dwarves (Old Norse dvergr, Old English dweorg, Old High German twerg, Proto-Germanic dwergaz), are an ancient bloodline of Kinain with a mixed Boggan, Nocker, Troll and Wichtel heritage (and Goblin if you believe House Aisin). To mortal eyes, the Nidarvellim appear as short, stocky humans with a tendency towards thick hair and a grumpy demeanor. However, to Fae senses, these features are greatly exaggerated, with a blacksmith’s muscles, rough and even rock-like skin and overlarge noses and ears. The huge beards of legend do still exist, but are less common than they once were.
    Nidarvellim are all a industrious and hard working people, prizing craftsmanship and a strong work ethic over other pursuits. They are also great lovers of machines and instruments of war, all traits that have served them well. These kinain maintain workshops and small businesses that focus on craftsmanship and hands-on skills. The extended mortal and fae relations of the Nidarvellim can often be found working in the various businesses founded and run by these stout dvergr.
    In Fae society, the Nidarvellim are often seen as caretakers of Fae holdings, a designation that they do not always appreciate. The dvergr see themselves as the keepers of old lore, and the guardians of the integrity of the ancestors. They do not like the Arcadian Sidhe as a rule, and absolutely hate the Aisin, preferring community or Union style politics reminiscent of the ancient Althing over the Parliament of Dreams.
    The magical lore of the Nidarvellim is centered around “Earth Magic”, and so things relating to stone, metal and fire are all deeply important to the Nidarvellim. Along with knowledge of Arts and Realms, many Nidarvellim magicians are knowledgeable in the Hedge magic paths of Alchemy, Enchantment, Fortune, and Mana Manipulation. These Dvergr sorcerers have close relationships with both the Glomes and the Solimonds, and have often guarded the anchors of these beings. However, as Dvergr are no more likely to be good or wicked than anyone else, this service often comes with a price of oaths, wealth, dross or other steep cost.
    Character Creation: Nidarvellim are Kinain (see page 454-460 of the Changeling the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition) and are created as such. They are culturally distinct from the rest of fae society. Below are some basic guidelines.
    Backgrounds: Allies, Contacts, Faerie Blood, Resources, Treasure.
    Favored Abilities: Athletics, Brawl, Crafts (any), Gremayre, Kenning, Melee, Lore, Science
    Realms (Pick One): Prop, Fae, Scene
    Birthrights (Pick One): Craftwork (Boggan), Fix-It (Nocker), Strong of Will and Body (Troll), Industrious (Wichtel).
    Common Merits and Flaws: Common Sense, Deformed, Iron Will, Master Craftsman, Short.

NOTES
    The Nidarvellim are an extended clan that share multiple faerie kin legacies and a cultural heritage that comes from their mortal origins as well as their fae side. They are descended from mortal slaves of the Aesir (Tuatha), Alfar (Sidhe) and the Jotun (fomorians), who bred them with their servants and fae slaves. The Nidarvellim are an example of a Kinain society within and without fae culture.They hearken back to stories of Dwarves and related Earth People mentioned in legends of the Northern peoples of antiquity. Being of mixed fae heritage, these kinain represent a melding of fae that is distinctly modern to Sidhe sensibilities.
    In my home campaign(s), the Dvergr are among the people who kept the lights on in many fae communities, and were very important to the fae during the Interregnum. Since the return of the Sidhe, the Nidarvellim have been under pressure to "bend the knee" to the Sidhe, and they are not happy with this situation. They have a particular hatred for Sidhe of House Ailil, House Balor, and House Varich.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

This is awesome and solves some issues I was unsure how I would handle myself! All your ideas really mesh with my sensibilities. So are these families of people that regularly produce these Nidarvellim, or do they breed true?

Were the big shot Dwarves of legend like Alvus, the Sons of Ivaldi and the original Dwarves of the 4 Directions then True Fae relatives of these beings, or some/all of them were Kinain?

I really dig this. And I enjoy the mention of them cultivating Sorcery. To me it makes sense they have sorcery to fill in the gaps of their potent Arts.

I forgot do Kinain that know Arts can they Unleash at all?

So in their stories would Nidvellir be a place, or is it representing a lost territory of Fae/Dreaming/Arcadia?

I really love this and gleefully await more.

I imagine they would have a good amount of family treasures, since Kinain breed like humans and can have kids, while Fae are reborn all over the world. It seems natural they would have vaults and caches of familial treasures. As well as attempting to make more Treasures/Enchantments/Wonders.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      This is awesome and solves some issues I was unsure how I would handle myself! All your ideas really mesh with my sensibilities. So are these families of people that regularly produce these Nidarvellim, or do they breed true?

Were the big shot Dwarves of legend like Alvus, the Sons of Ivaldi and the original Dwarves of the 4 Directions then True Fae relatives of these beings, or some/all of them were Kinain?

I really dig this. And I enjoy the mention of them cultivating Sorcery. To me it makes sense they have sorcery to fill in the gaps of their potent Arts.

I forgot do Kinain that know Arts can they Unleash at all?

So in their stories would Nidvellir be a place, or is it representing a lost territory of Fae/Dreaming/Arcadia?

I really love this and gleefully await more.

I imagine they would have a good amount of family treasures, since Kinain breed like humans and can have kids, while Fae are reborn all over the world. It seems natural they would have vaults and caches of familial treasures. As well as attempting to make more Treasures/Enchantments/Wonders.

Ah, thank you. Good questions.

KINAIN BREEDING
      According the CtD Enchanted, Kinain are usually born of a changeling and a mortal or by two changelings. About 15-20% are those with one changeling parent are changelings themselves, while about 40-50% of the children of two Changelings are Changelings. The rest are kinain. It is also possible for Faerie Blood to skip a generation or two so that parents who are fully mortal (but still faerie kin) can have a kinain or, more rarely, a changeling.
      So, with the Nidarvellim, most of their families will be mortals with the Faerie Affinity merit (see below) and will be aware of weird family traditions and stories, but they might not know (or believe) the whole story. Kinain members of the family are the “heads” of the clan, and the keepers of its deepest lore, with Faerie Blood translating into social rank within the clan. Revitalizing the blood to give rise to higher Faerie Blood might involve Alchemy and Mana Manipulation, old rituals, family treasures and old-fashioned inbreeding. There are enough occult shenanigans in the setting to make this work.

Faerie Affinity (2 Point Merit)
      Your presence does not frighten faeries; indeed, it attracts them, and you are naturally attuned to their ways. Fae may make a Kenning roll (diff. 6) to identify those with Faerie Affinity. Characters with Faerie Affinity are partially aware of the Dreaming; they have the ability to see the mien of Kthain and any chimera the changeling is carrying or directly interacting with, but cannot see other chimera without being enchanted. Your Banality is considered to be 2 lower, you gain -1 difficulty for positive Social rolls with the fae, and efforts to enchant you are at -2 difficulty. However, you may only be Enchanted if you wish to be, due to the ancient pact in place; a Changeling who does force enchantment on a character with this merit becomes an oathbreaker and an outcast in Kithain society.

BIG SHOT DWARVES
      I would say that that heroic persons such as Alvus, Eitri and others would be Nidarvellim or high Faerie Blood, possessing powerful Arts and Realms, potent treasures and great skill rather than true fae. This is mostly because those persons worked iron and were sneered at by the gods and elves.

ARTS AND REALMS
      Kinain can learn Arts and Realms. The rules say nothing about Unleashing for Kinain, and so I would say no. At character creation, Kinain get 1 dot to be spent on an Art. Learning Realms has no restriction other than those that changelings face. At character creation, Kinain characters receive one dot of their parent’s affinity Realm, and one dot in a Realm of the player’s choice (the player can choose to take a second dot of the affinity Realm). I would say that Prop would be the most likely favorite Realm for Nidarvellim, and favored Arts being Autumn, Contracts, Primal, Soothsay, and Winter. But could be anything.

NIDVELLIR, THE DEEP REALM
      The realm of Nidvellir is an interesting one. For my tastes I would have it be a place in the Hollow Earth, perhaps first shown to them by the Nockers and Trolls. Reaching Hollow Earth is easier than most any other Umbral or Dream realm; and even Mortals may accidentally breach it. Numerous physical portals exist, ranging from underground tunnels to undersea volcanoes to a certain New York City elevator. The Nidarvellim know of several routes via underground passages, though they are neglected and very dangerous (Fomorian servitors, dero, twisted werewolves, etc). As the Hollow Earth is a physical location with a low gauntlet, and not an ephemeral realm, and so humans, spirits and fae intermingle often.
      Here we have all kinds of potential. Struggles with Vo'lag tribes (Fomorian Giants in Werewolf), Nazi enclaves, lost Roman legions and Ka-Luan aliens. There are human tribes down there, alongside dinosaurs and alien civilizations. I see ancient fortress-cities built by the Nidarvellim, now mostly destroyed by wars with the Dero, but with a few holding on. Alliances with local tribes (extended family perhaps), spirits, fae and other creatures keeping the shadows from the door.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 07-12-2019, 01:40 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
      Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Working...
      X