Mists, Memories, and Prodigals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mists, Memories, and Prodigals

So I admit I'm new to learning about the Dreaming setting, so I'm not in the know about everything. But I've been looking for an answer to this question for a while and can't seem to get a solid lock on it.

How do other supernaturals create anything resembling a relationship with Changelings if they forget all about Changeling's magic stuff after seeing it? Several prodigals are mentioned as having interactions with Changelings, knowledge of them, entire clans made to facilitate crossover, but I still can't wrap my head around the logistics of that when they forget about any and everything fae the second they are un-enchanted. Unless I'm misunderstanding the memory loss?

They don't necessarily forget everything. Take a look at the Banality chart, based on the character's personality. Lots of the other supernaturals close to the Changelings would have fairly good memories, and not be terribly affected by the Mists.

Comment

Personally I have Werewolves at least two lower on the Banality Chart, even more for non Homids, and most Mages I also lower their Banality. I have high Banality for Technocrats and Vampires.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
        They don't necessarily forget everything. Take a look at the Banality chart, based on the character's personality. Lots of the other supernaturals close to the Changelings would have fairly good memories, and not be terribly affected by the Mists.
        That's kinda what I'd expect but most supernaturals seem to have pretty high default banality, enough that they easily hit "you don't remember anything important" levels

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Personally I have Werewolves at least two lower on the Banality Chart, even more for non Homids, and most Mages I also lower their Banality. I have high Banality for Technocrats and Vampires.
        That seems to be a pretty good solution for getting Changelings easier access to the prodigals they share the most interests with, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by KuiperBelt View Post
          That's kinda what I'd expect but most supernaturals seem to have pretty high default banality, enough that they easily hit "you don't remember anything important" levels
          Depends a lot on the supernaturals involved. A Ventrue Prince or a Syndicate agent? Sure, probably high Banality. A Toreador artist or Sandman wraith? Probably a lot lower.

Comment

Also remember that although they forget many details, or even everything, Fae related when unenchanted they also regain all memories when enchanted again. So while details might be fuzzy even for low Banality prodigals they come back when next enchanted. Making their interactions with the Fae follow a peculiar pattern between forgetting and remembering things. And do remember the more contact there is the lower their Banality will inevitably go, especially if there is longterm partnerships involved, allowing them to remember a little more after each time up to certain point atleast.

Comment

Also often the "Mist" effects the memories it doesn't wipe them totally away. For example say that a Nosferatu regularly exchanges information with a Sluagh. How ever at one of their clandestine meetings they are tracked and attacked to prevent the exchange. The Slough calls upon the wyrd to save them. The Nosferatu with a Banality of 6 would remember it and run to right it down but the writing and his memory would change to know he was saved by them but would have a more mundane memory about it as time goes on. One with say a rating of 4 who regularly deals with this form of information as a mater of fact will have almost a full memory that is clear with exact event's possibly even remembering what they looked like in the fae form. The mist will alter memories and form but it won't necessarily prevent them from remembering who the person was as a human etc or that they were helped or hurt by that individual just the specifics of how it happened will be recorded and remembered in a more Mundane light

Comment

Also remember regular interaction with Changelings causes your memories to treat your banality as 2 lower.

Comment

Originally posted by KuiperBelt View Post

That seems to be a pretty good solution for getting Changelings easier access to the prodigals they share the most interests with, at least.
                  Don't think of a given type of supernatural as having a "default banality". It's more that a given type of supernatural has a stereotype about their personality, and that personality fits a banality rating.

Comment

Malkavians are totally immune to the Mists. Which is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
                      Malkavians are totally immune to the Mists. Which is awesome.
                      Wait wat. Source?

Comment

Book of Lost Dreams, Malkavians, page 12, last paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
                          Book of Lost Dreams, Malkavians, page 12, last paragraph.
                          Damn! This is useful!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                          X