Seeing Chimerical Reality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing Chimerical Reality

Hey all, when do you make players roll Kenning? "Well you cannot attack the dragon killing you because you didn't make your Kenning roll to see it." Just wanting some advice. Thanks all.

Well, first off I try to follow the rule that both success and failure must be interesting, so that eliminates a lot of the annoying possibilities. I also use the rule (can't remember if it's in Changeling in particular, but it's in some WoD book somewhere) that if the diepool is at least as high as the difficulty, and a simple result is good enough, then don't bother rolling, even if both success and failure are interesting.

Beyond that, I don't think that a Changeling (who isn't in the Forgetting or whatnot) or an enchanted mortal would have to roll to see a dragon anyway, unless it's hiding or something. Trying to find a super sneaky dragon that's hiding could be a Kenning roll though.

Comment

Thank you for the insight Zenten. It has been years since I ran Changeling and reading C20 was confusing to me. I guess the dragon example was an extreme but...

I think playing the obvious things, creatures not hiding, chimerical reality of a building, etc would not require rolls. Maybe very brief or hidden chimera would require rolls.

In addition to this, looking at a changeling in the Autumn World just shows you the fae as a magical aura so to speak? Or a transparent illusion over the mortal body, or a melding of the mortal/fae form? Not just one or the other.

Comment

It's not an aura or a superimposed image. It's like playing make believe, or reading a novel. The Changeling is on some level aware of both (barring Banality or Bedlam), but they generally will be more focused on one aspect or the other at the time.

When you're roleplaying, do you ever picture what is happening with your character? Think of that for Chimerical reality, but more vivid, and the other Changelings/enchanted are seeing the same things you're seeing, not their own imaginings.

Comment

I really like your second paragraph there.

So I guess what is the difference between looking at a fae on the street and looking at one in a freehold? The book makes me think there is a difference. Like on the street the fae mein looks less real.

Comment

I could see the local banality rating affecting this, yes.

Comment

Many freeholds are in part in the Dreaming which changes things.

Comment

How does that change things?

With that, do you, or anyone here, allow Changelings to ride chimerical machines or animals in the real world? I have an idea of dragonfly WW2 fighter planes and a large dirigible. Would these be allowed in the Autumn World, with their Changeling passengers, and just ignored or would Banality crush them and the Changelings within? Or would these chimerical rides need to be wrapped around real world vehicles to survive?

Sorry to ask so many setting questions in a game of imagination but just trying to understand.
                Last edited by Armos Black; 09-04-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armos Black View Post
                  How does that change things?

With that, do you, or anyone here, allow Changelings to ride chimerical machines or animals in the real world? I have an idea of dragonfly WW2 fighter planes and a large dirigible. Would these be allowed in the Autumn World, with their Changeling passengers, and just ignored or would Banality crush them and the Changelings within? Or would these chimerical rides need to be wrapped around real world vehicles to survive?

Sorry to ask so many setting questions in a game of imagination but just trying to understand.

The Near Dreaming isn't the Autumn World there's a whole write up of difference for that.

Basically the rule of thumb is if a Mortal sees you, you get shunted into the Near Dreaming if you are flying. So if a changeling is dog fighting in a ww2 fighter and some mortal pops out to watch.. poof you go into the dreaming and there's probably a decent crash. That's why its worth it not to do stuff around unenchanted mortals.

Or be Invisible That's also good, now the mortal actually has to see and recognize "guy is flying around' for this to be in effect so even normal forms of stealth would work. However being inside a Blimp or cockpit in the Chimerical craft would not as its invisible to the unenchanted.

Comment

Earlier editions, can’t remember if it is still the case in C20, had a rule somewhere , players or ST Guide I think, about how your Banality rating affected your appearance for your fellow Changelings. If you were high on Banality your Fae mien was barely visible on your mortal mien and when you you had low Banality your Fae mien fully covered your mortal one, but in general Changelings could see both the Fae mien and the mortal mien when looking at oneanother.

That being said I have always played it so that Changelings and the Enchanted always see the Fae mien and not the mortal one at all. I do this for a few reason the biggest being that many players are confused enough about how Chimerical and normal world interact and this removes some of that confusion. Still this is a House rule and may not apply at any particular table.

While Lian did already cover this I will still do so aswell if only to say the same again in other words.

If flying or riding purely Chimerical creatures/machines and an unenchanted mortal sees you, you are shunted to the near Dreaming and not in a gentle and pleasant manner, it is also worth a Banality trigger. If the Chimerical thing your riding has a mortal mien of somesort, like it is a Treasure flying machine that looks like something people could expect your mortal self be flying with like a normal plane, paraglider or sail plane (glider plane? Not sure which is it in English), then your fine. Also like Lian mentioned if your flying machine/creature has powers to turn themselves and you invisible, or you use a Cantrip to turn you both invisible, then you are again fine. But generally that is why flying through Chimerical means in the Autumn world is not recommended. Still same is true of Chimerical land based mounts/machines unless they have a normal world counterpart riding them may cause Banality triggers and/or banishments to near Dreaming. Also remember that if you have called upon the Wyrd both you and your Chimerical items/companions are quite real for the duration and able to fly you about. Mists will cover the insident afterwards.

Comment

The fae mien superimposes itself over the mortal seeming while within a freehold. Same thing for the Dreaming. Changelings see both at once, unless someone's hiding behind their mortal seeming, Which side they're paying attention to depends on what's going on -- if someone pulls a mundane gun on you, you'll be paying attention to that, and also paying attention to your attacker's chimeric wings which can give you a concussion if they connect.

Comment

Incidentally, for *other* senses like smell, sound, taste or touch, would Kenning be used to do stuff like, say, sniff out if a particular food has been laced with a Chimerical sedative that will knock out only the lone Kithain at a Chamber of Commerce dinner party, while leaving the mortals thinking it was just a disagreement?

Comment

Yes, it'd say it would. My sluagh explained once that chimericallly decayed or stale food wouldn't harm unenchanted mortals to his enchanted friend. So as he didn't eat any.

Comment

Working...
                          X