Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a fae mien visible after a Changeling dies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a fae mien visible after a Changeling dies?

I’ve posted this question elsewhere but thought I’d go to the “source” for your opinions. If a Changeling dies his fae spirit departs but do other changelings still see his fae mien or does he just appear as human now? Does suffering a mortal death rather than an undoing change this is any way?

Originally posted by Monkey-x View Post
    I’ve posted this question elsewhere but thought I’d go to the “source” for your opinions. If a Changeling dies his fae spirit departs but do other changelings still see his fae mien or does he just appear as human now? Does suffering a mortal death rather than an undoing change this is any way?
    I would say that would depend on the fae in question, and the manner of death. A high glamour changeling may retain it fae appearance, seeming to have "fallen asleep" or even revert to tangled roots, turn to stone or an otherwise thematic corpse. But a fae who has died from something particularly nasty like cold iron, would be very mortal, possibly even rotting unnaturally quickly, or seeming to be a pit of banality.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Chimerical Death:
      No matter how gruesome end you suffered what is left behind is your mortal body unharmed, unless non Chimerical harm has befallen it, and unconsious. When you come to it again you are essentially human with Mist clouded memories, and thus propably very confused, and it requires a Kenning roll to detect the Fae soul healing within you. Once your Fae nature is Awakened you regain your memories of being a Changeling and continue on with your Fae life likely bearing a crugde towards what ever killed you. At the scene of your Chimerical demise there may be some Chimerical evidence left behind like Blood and tattered clothing Etc, in extremely cruel ends I might allow for even some parts of the Chimerical body to be present like a severed hand Etc.

Note that depending on the ambient Banality of the place you died in the Chimerical evidence may erode at a considerably faster pace.

Mortal Death:
      Your body dies and your Fae soul is set free to reincarnate in a new body, or flees back into the Dreaming in case of the Sidhe, leaving only a dead mortal behind.
      Now at my table, so this is not official but a House rule, I might allow some Chimerical evidence be left behind like with the Chimerical death above, even going so far that the corpse might look Fae like to other Fae beings untill ambient Banality or the Banality of the investigators would erode it away.

Death by Cold Iron:
      Leaves behind a mortal corpse.
      House rule time again, at my table the corpse left behind might seem even more cold and Banal than a normal corpse. This chill would be detectable through Kenning roll or automatically if the Changeling knew the victim before.

These are mostly my opinions and House rules, can’t remember if it has been officially ruled in a manner similar to mine or are these just House rules, even the ones I didn’t mark as House rules specifically, that I’ve used so long that they are part of the game for me so YMMV. Personally a Chimerical crimescene, only a Chimerical death was dealt there, would work a bit like in the Supernatural TV series episode ”Just my imagination” (season 11 episode 8) where mortals could mess up the Chimerical evidence by accident, and themselves, without knowing about it to the gruesome shock of anyone enchanted or Fae.

Comment

Working...
      X