Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Resurgence and the Soviet Union: How did they relate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Resurgence and the Soviet Union: How did they relate?

Hello folks,

As a point of curiosity, either for running "historical" games or whether to use it as a point of political backdrop or for Character Remembrancing, I have always been curious about the Arcadian Resurgence, relative to the Glamour released from the 1969 Moon Landing.

As the lore dictates, the Arcadians came back, there was the Accordance War, and long-story short, numerous Kingdoms are set up as the nobility reassert themselves. King David disappears, but it isn't until the 2000s that the Lost Houses come back, with the notably RUSSIA House Varich being one of said Lost Houses.

Combine this with other oWoD metadata about Baba Yaga keeping a supernatural Iron Curtain up and running until Rage Across Russia is dusted off, and this makes one wonder...is it possible that the Resurgence may have initially passed over the Soviet Union? Presumably, any Glamour gained from the fact humans reached the moon would have been offset that it was the USA that did it.

PS: Suppose it was the Soviets that managed to get to the moon first. Would this impact the Resurgence itself, so that you have an "alternate timeline" where the Accordance War is a parallel of the Russian Civil War instead of the American Revolution, and you end up with High King Dmitri instead of High King David?

From what I can remember, probably the biggest and most archetypical event of the Soviet empire in that period is the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968. So, from a Changeling perspective, you have this vast swath of Europe under the boot of of a brutally repressive and individuality-crushing regime, probably making it lethally toxic to newly arrived Sidhe. Those that did show up in that part of the world likely either died or became Dauntain. Some members of House Balor may be the exception.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The House known for its ability to see how patterns work out and for Xanatos Gambits amazingly showed up last. This House just happens to be very strong in Russia and various Parts of the Soviet Union.. Hmm funny that. Its like they saw someone was going to be removed from the table and planned for it. Then showed up en masse.

Comment

C20 notes that there was basically no contact with changelings in the Soviet Union outside of rumors, and the area opened up after it fell (which could certainly be taken as the opportunity for a tie-in by those who know the wider story).

Another piece of evidence is that the Kingdom of the Firebird, the Russian kingdom, is a recent creation by newcomers; there doesn't appear to have been an extant kingdom beforehand.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Excellent: I imagine that answers the big questions. Somehow, the idea of running a "Kingmaker"-type game in the wake of Baba Yaga's demise has a certain appeal. Plus, the idea of the courts being divided into a Night Watch and a Day Watch has its own charm.

There are plenty of odds and ends to include of course. Stuff like stray dogs that know how to use Russia's subway system, unusual dreams/chimeras (Rival Pookas based on Wolf and Hare from Ah Nu Pogodi?), Orientalism/Ostern tropes from media ("His Grenades were of the wrong caliber," as a euphemism for a coward), and presumably the Firebird Kingdom's lower titles using a form of ladder succession of Kievan Rota. Potentially such a game would take place in the 2000s, before the Crimean annexation became politically contentious...or it could be "in the background."

Also, does the Near Dreaming of Chernobyl have Bloodsuckers and Snorks?

Comment

Whoops, wrong name on my part; it's the Empire of the Firebird.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I re-read Rage Across Russia, and it wasn't until 1990 that Baba Yaga powered her Shadow Curtain, powered by ghouling an entire Choir Chantry. Some spirit types, Domovoi, Rusalka, etc, could be "played as Faeries" (this came out two years before Dreaming 1st ed), so that, combined with some discussion in Fool's Luck about a Galician Confederation successfully fighting off the Sidhe during the Resurgence War...seems more to imply that the Resurgence "happened," but without as much strength as in American and Western Europe. The Dreaming may or may not have been affected by the Shadow Curtain, but why risk it when the Garou and Vampires can deplete each other first?

Comment

One of my issues with the Boggan kithbook is they obnoxiously state how Boggans hate hard work if it’s to literally feed themselves and survive and only enjoy it when it’s a choice. Very much a bourgeois American perspective considering I’d imagine Boggan, Domovoi, had to work very hard during periods of famine in the Soviet Era. I’d imagine famine is probably the most Banal disaster I can imagine. The vast majority of history has people toiling to survive and it seems ignorant to have the hard work kith not acknowledge it.

But I don’t think Sidhe came to America because it landed on the moon first, I think they went everywhere.

In my Headcanon Baba Yaga lured Vasilissa to her and sacrificed them both in a great ritual that reincarnated Baba Yaga as a Faery.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Yeah...Boggans work to help. That's...kind of their thing. Realistically, the ability for Boggans to make reliable craftwork at efficient speeds, combined with their ability to read a room and know who to bribe, intimidate, or hide from, would make them ideal black marketeers for the "second economy" of the later Soviet years, as well as modernizing the Elf and the Shoemaker story for Adidas and tracksuits.

Lost Houses mentioned Domovoi were a form of Krofted Solomid that were oathed to protect their household.

Comment

Oh I didn’t know about that Krofted mention, that works quite well. I was going by the mention of Domovoi b one a local name for Boggans mentioned in their kithbook, as well as the C20 mentioning of Domovoi kith. I rather like the Krofted idea, yes spirits of the Hearth.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      One of my issues with the Boggan kithbook is they obnoxiously state how Boggans hate hard work if it’s to literally feed themselves and survive and only enjoy it when it’s a choice.
                      That seems to fly in the face of everything presented about them in 1st and 2nd edition.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

That seems to fly in the face of everything presented about them in 1st and 2nd edition.
                        No kidding, not to mention all the Faery and Folktales they are based on. It is purely a conceit of a very specific and modern ideology. Boggans are supposed to take joy in Work to help others (or themselves), and that joy isn't supposed to be robbed from them and converted to Banality just because the work is tied to an essential need rather than a whimsy or hobby.

Comment

Bloody Doublepost!
                          Last edited by Eldagusto; 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM. Reason: Doubledangitdoublepost!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            No kidding, not to mention all the Faery and Folktales they are based on. It is purely a conceit of a very specific and modern ideology. Boggans are supposed to take joy in Work to help others (or themselves), and that joy isn't supposed to be robbed from them and converted to Banality just because the work is tied to an essential need rather than a whimsy or hobby.
                            "Millennial Logic" Boggans in other words. "Gotta live my best life, for FOMO is Banal." Yeah, that sounds...off.

But yeah, Domovoi as Krofted Solomids. If the family it protects wishes to move houses, it must arrange for them to transport several embers from its hearth to the new location. Presumably, they exist mainly in more rural oblasts, and have a much harder time in Soviet-era apartment units.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicJuggler View Post

"Millennial Logic" Boggans in other words. "Gotta live my best life, for FOMO is Banal." Yeah, that sounds...off.

But yeah, Domovoi as Krofted Solomids. If the family it protects wishes to move houses, it must arrange for them to transport several embers from its hearth to the new location. Presumably, they exist mainly in more rural oblasts, and have a much harder time in Soviet-era apartment units.
                              Yeah the Solomids idea is brilliant! Solomids and Slyphs (forgot what they were called) were the hardest Inanimae for me to grock anchors for. That whole take embers from the Hearth tradition for new hearths makes so much damn sense with this in Mind!

Edit: Also this fits my idea I had of Subkith Boggans to represent the Kitchen Gods found in Asian mythology! This is kind of a game-changing Idea for me. Man I need to read my copy of Lost Houses!

Comment

Working...
                              X