Dragon Kith: "Who, what, where, why, how?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nyrufa
    Super fair, though even within European folklore there are swathes of variants. I would probably never try to make a Chinese dragon chimera or player for fear of what I would say is pretty close to blackface, unless the point was to demonstrate a chimera that is specifically a cartoonish misrepresentation of actual cultures.

Comment

The Drac from French folklore is also a good potential example of a dragon kith: http://allaboutdragons.com/dragons/T...c_of_Beaucaire

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
      Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Originally posted by RigelJ View Post
        Nyrufa
        Super fair, though even within European folklore there are swathes of variants. I would probably never try to make a Chinese dragon chimera or player for fear of what I would say is pretty close to blackface, unless the point was to demonstrate a chimera that is specifically a cartoonish misrepresentation of actual cultures.

Yeah, the lack of detailed knowledge about other cultures makes it hard for me to get into Scion, too. Even though I think it's an awesome concept for a game, me trying to play any pantheon other than the Theoi would consist almost entirely of stereotypical pop culture references, and not any accurate portrayal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Yeah, the lack of detailed knowledge about other cultures makes it hard for me to get into Scion, too. Even though I think it's an awesome concept for a game, me trying to play any pantheon other than the Theoi would consist almost entirely of stereotypical pop culture references, and not any accurate portrayal.

You probably know less about the Theoi than you think and more about other groups than you imagine. I mean you probably only know say the Kami from anime.. but what do you know the Theoi from?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

You probably know less about the Theoi than you think and more about other groups than you imagine. I mean you probably only know say the Kami from anime.. but what do you know the Theoi from?

Throughout both elementary and middle school, as well as some early chunk of highschool, I was a huge fan of Greek mythology, and would read as much of it as I could find. Two of my favorite live action TV shows were Xena and Hercules, while I also watched no small amount of the Disney Hercules cartoon.

I'm ashamed to say that I've forgotten most of it, after all these years, but I still found the stories fascinating. In terms of ancient Greek culture, my knowledge is about as scarce as any of the others. But when it comes to just the mythology, I think I can piece together enough lore to make something passable.
            Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-04-2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I could see some ngārara taniwha as part of a 'dragon kith', I've more often represented them as a disparate splinter of the the Mokole/Gumagan/Makara/Zhong Lung but ' Dragon Kith' could work.

Comment

A Dragon kith (or two) are a great idea, and one that I see no problem with at all. Humanoid beings linked with serpents, reptiles and such are quite common around the world. And even the big dragons occasionally take mortal mates.

White Oaks Dragons Drake and Lindworm kiths are well balanced and interesting, so I would certainly allow them at my table.

Within cannon, I can see Dragon Kith being linked in part with the Mokole and Nagah. Certain Wyrm spirits might make for interesting allies and tragic/embarrassing relations. The differences between Wyld and Wyrm, or any Werewolf terms may be meaningless to Changelings, but there are certainly some excellent materials to play with.

Drachids (Dragon people)
                During the Age of Kings (Age of Dinosaurs) when the Dragon Kings ruled the Earth, the Dragon Kings bred a race of reptilian humanoids called the Drachids. These beings were humanoids, used tools and bred true among themselves. In the terrible War of Dragons, these creatures rebelled against their masters and were eventually wiped out in the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event, leaving no fossil record or artifacts.
                The Drachids offer an interesting source for a Dragon kith or two, as beings that have been primarily dwelling in the Mnesis Dream/Umbral Realm and the Hollow Earth. They vary considerably, sporting mixed reptilian features with a humanoid form with variation between land, sea and air dinosaurs.

Shazear (Zmei)
                Shazear is one of the seven Zmei from Russia, and an unwilling servant of Baba Yaga. He is able to shapeshift and assume human form and has come to love the ways of the "little people" (humans). Shazear is only 40 feet long in his dragon form, the smallest, but also the most clever and resourceful of the Great Zmei. His reflective scales look like crystals from a shadowy gray color and his eyes glisten and move with intelligence and cunning. He is by nature curious and insightful. As a human, he appears as a very good-looking young man in his late twenties, with black hair, medium build and gray eyes.
                Shazear is an excellent example of a dragon who mingles with humans. Such a potent bygone could be an wonderful source for “dragon blooded” kinain from whose line the Dragon Kith could reclaim their place in the Autumn world and the Dreaming.
                Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-24-2019, 08:02 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Ohh I like the idea that Shazear has spawned a bloodline!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

Shazear (Zmei)
                    Shazear is one of the seven Zmei from Russia, and an unwilling servant of Baba Yaga. He is able to shapeshift and assume human form and has come to love the ways of the "little people" (humans). Shazear is only 40 feet long in his dragon form, the smallest, but also the most clever and resourceful of the Great Zmei. His reflective scales look like crystals from a shadowy gray color and his eyes glisten and move with intelligence and cunning. He is by nature curious and insightful. As a human, he appears as a very good-looking young man in his late twenties, with black hair, medium build and gray eyes.
                    Shazear is an excellent example of a dragon who mingles with humans. Such a potent bygone could be an wonderful source for “dragon blooded” kinain from whose line the Dragon Kith could reclaim their place in the Autumn world and the Dreaming.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_dragon

This would DEFINATELY work with the myths that are available

Comment

Working...
                    X