Homebrew Idea: Corrupted Inanimae

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Idea: Corrupted Inanimae

This is admittedly influenced a fair bit by Werewolf, but the simple idea is for Inanimae that exist as "corrupted" analogues to their base types. Thus, rather than representing your stories of frolicking nymphs, ladies of the lake, or judges of trial by fire, you have your stories of London Fog murders, Toxic Avengers, or Patient Zeros.

Lorewise, the idea is that in order to corrupt Inanimae, rather than destroying its Anchor, you must trap it in its Anchor (meaning that passage to the appropriate Slow Empire must be likewise blocked, and must be Slumbering), before corrupting the Anchor into its equivalent form. The Inanimae forms are:

Sludge (Earth), Hellfire/Radiation (Fire), Smog (Air), Toxin (Water), or Fungus (Plant). Mannikins are notably immune to Corruption, which earns them no favors among the other Inanimae.

Aside from dictating what Anchors can be used, this would presumably alter some of the traits of the Corrupted Inanimae, which I would need to draft out accordingly. Likewise, Slivers would be Corrupted from their original form.

Corrupted Inanimae exist outside of the Court system, and use the Thallain rules instead of the normal ones for determining Seeming and Legacies.

Can Corrupted Inanimae be "cured" to their original version?
    Last edited by MagicJuggler; 10-23-2019, 09:04 AM.

Whenever crossing Changeling with Werewolf and Mage, I always treat Inanimae as being the same as Elementals. So I don't see why Wyrm Elementals might not be treated as corrupted Inanimae.

Corrupted Inanimae rules could be handled as Dauntain in a manner similar to the "Brand of the Lich" found on page 359 of the C20 rulebook. It is possible for such creatures to be cleansed with powerful rituals, but they would likely be so vile as to make this a tough decision.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-23-2019, 10:41 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

I thought of similar things when thinking up stuff for Inanimae. Perhaps though Corrupted Mannikins are those whose anchors are actually composed of the dead.

Its an interesting Idea to have Inanimae be the same as elementals, simple and elegant. I was a fan of the Fomori are Changeling enemies and interpreted by Changelings as possessed by nightmares.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Honestly since I prefer a less "all the Pc types get along" I'd be tempted to just allow polluted inanimae to function as Normal. Yeah the London Fog is a murderer.. so were plenty of water Fairies.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          Honestly since I prefer a less "all the Pc types get along" I'd be tempted to just allow polluted inanimae to function as Normal. Yeah the London Fog is a murderer.. so were plenty of water Fairies.
          That is a neat angle. Werewolves might call them "corrupted" but that doesnt mean the same thing to changelings.

The thought of playing a Hogling (parasome of polluted air) "Wyrm" Elemental who is an alright guy if you get to know him, is quite appealing.
          Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-24-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

That is a neat angle. Werewolves might call them "corrupted" but that doesnt mean the same thing to changelings.

The thought of playing a Hogling (parasome of polluted air) "Wyrm" Elemental who is an alright guy if you get to know him, is quite appealing.

Werewolves call alot of things corrupted. Hell if you eat too much fastfood you're "of the wyrm" screw those meat bags. You are the future, they are the past.

Comment

In a sidechat, another acquaintance suggested that Mannekins could be similarly corrupted, though the differences would be more subtle. Although Mannekins tend to be dreamt from joy and playtime and toys, their counterparts would be born from fear and torment and nightmare. If Mannekins are Toy Story, their Nightmare equivalent would be Chucky.

Aside from that, for crossover games, such creatures would be a capricious quirk/unexpected factor, both for the Garou nation (or similarly aligned factions) as well as PENTEX. It's one thing to build a chemical weapons factory where there once used to be a Silent Strider Caern. It's another thing when your security detail continually keeps seeing unusual phenomena that aren't accounted as normal Bane sightings.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicJuggler View Post
                In a sidechat, another acquaintance suggested that Mannekins could be similarly corrupted, though the differences would be more subtle. Although Mannekins tend to be dreamt from joy and playtime and toys, their counterparts would be born from fear and torment and nightmare. If Mannekins are Toy Story, their Nightmare equivalent would be Chucky.

Aside from that, for crossover games, such creatures would be a capricious quirk/unexpected factor, both for the Garou nation (or similarly aligned factions) as well as PENTEX. It's one thing to build a chemical weapons factory where there once used to be a Silent Strider Caern. It's another thing when your security detail continually keeps seeing unusual phenomena that aren't accounted as normal Bane sightings.

Some time ago, I posted a Changeling version of a Pentex monstrosity:

Gooshy Gooze

Gooshy Gooze is guaranteed to be a million laughs. It swishes, it sloshes, it oozes and it goozes. It also forces itself down the throats of unsuspecting children when they’re left alone at night. Gooshy Gooze is another wonderful “non-toxic” creation of Avalon Toys. Like most of the dangerous toys from Avalon, Gooshy Gooze doesn’t kill, it corrupts. Unlike most of the dangerous toys, this is not a simple fetish; it is a creature with a mind of its own and needs no child to do its work.
                Gooshy Gooze devours its prey from the inside, destroying innocence and sanity as it goes. By the time Gooshy Gooze has finished its consumption, it has transmogrified the hapless child into an equivalent volume of Gooshy Gooze. Most of the Gooshy Gooze then oozes its way back to any of 200 factories nationwide; it is subsequently redistributed to any of Avalon’s countless “bubble gum machines” where it can again be picked up for a measly 25 cents. Many children learn from their friends that these particular machines will sometime even dispense the Gooshy Gooze without a quarter; you just have to turn the knob, and as often as not, the Gooshy Gooze is yours.
                Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 2, Stamina 0 (in host body 4), Charisma 0 (in host body 3), Manipulation 0 (in host body 3), Appearance 0 (in host body 2), Perception 2, Intelligence 1, Wits 1
                Abilities: Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Survival 2
                Health Levels: OK, -2, Incapacitated (can only be hurt by fire, electricity or freezing)
                Special: Gooshy Goozes force themselves down their victims’ throats (Strength + Athletics vs. Dexterity + Dodge; three successes required). While within a host’s body it slowly transforms its host into the same substance they are made of, and while the process is occurring, are capable of anything that the child is physically capable of: knifing Grandma, burning down the house, the usual stuff. The transformation is extremely slow, depleting one Health Level a day from the host until the victim is Incapacitated, at which time the change is complete. This transformation costs one of its host’s Willpower points per day. While in this “breeding stage” the effective Health Levels of the Gooze are the same as those of its host (three to four for a small child).
                Redes: Corruption, Possession, Wyrd.
                Banes: Token (Must use the material Gooshy Gooze to use Wyrd)
                Image: This snot-like substance comes in seven different colors, all glow-in-the-dark and all neon-bright.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicJuggler View Post

I'd make the argument Flickers are the Mannekin equivalent of "corrupted" and Most garou except those dirty filthy Glasswalkers would agree.... thought quite a number of them would probably consider Mannekins bad enough.

But honestly I'm not a fan of "all wyrm works together' Pentex is.. pretty Banal. I can't imagine even Nightmarish changelings being on good terms with them. I would say they should be a dangerous x factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                    But honestly I'm not a fan of "all wyrm works together' Pentex is.. pretty Banal. I can't imagine even Nightmarish changelings being on good terms with them. I would say they should be a dangerous x factor.
                    PENTEX is pretty banal for the most part. However, I would say that Avalon Toys is in the ravaging business. Destroying innocence for dross, fun and profit. They leave a colder and more banal world behind them.
                    King Breweries, O'Tolleys burgers, Slauterhouse Videos as well. Though in different ways.

But thats in my games.
                    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 10-25-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X