Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to an undone Arcadian Sidhe's body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to an undone Arcadian Sidhe's body?

Exactly what it says on the subject line. A commoner or Autumn Sidhe is down for the count, at least until they're reborn, but as I understand it there's nothing left of the original person inside for the Sidhe.

Google hasn't helped me out here. Does the body die? Go catatonic? Operate off rote repetitions and rhythms until something unexpected happens?

This isn't important per se to the game I'm in, but the question popped up and I'm wondering what, if anything, is the canon answer.

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
    Exactly what it says on the subject line. A commoner or Autumn Sidhe is down for the count, at least until they're reborn, but as I understand it there's nothing left of the original person inside for the Sidhe.
    This not the case. I mean his soul might be gone but what mortal memories were made remain. You get a mix of people with lost time(ala the rip van winkle in the core) and people who just seem to have more mundane fadings. Either way it doesn't look any different from other Fae as the soul is a sleep in the body of a mortal.

Comment

Aye, they may still be able to function but they are essentially going to be operating entirely off of memory as the person's soul is gone (to the best of our canon knowledge) and the fae soul will be dormant while undone.

I could see that being interpreted as anything from going catatonic to being cold and soulless to just performing off of rote actions and/or instincts depending on the needs of the character as well as the table/game/chronicle.

Comment

Once upon a time I knew a guy named Dare. He was a local musician who seemed permanently young. He was handsome, loved by the ladies, an excellent musician. The guy drank most nights and never seemed to sleep and was slim and fit despite a diet of beer, grease and sugar. He also was a wonderful person, taking care of house bound elders on his own dime.

Then, over the course of a few months, he aged and died. Like a switch was flipped. It was awful. He just fell apart.

This is how I think of Sidhe and other fae being undone. The light that shown so bright gets snuffed, and they fade away. And the world is colder and darker from their passing. Though most times the loss of a fae spirit will not kill the mortal shell, but the character will become a sadder, less vibrant person. Such a person might seem to age more quickly, fall into depression, alcoholism, or just get lost in the day to day.
        Last edited by MythAdvocate; 11-21-2019, 03:35 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
        Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
          Aye, they may still be able to function but they are essentially going to be operating entirely off of memory as the person's soul is gone (to the best of our canon knowledge) and the fae soul will be dormant while undone.

I could see that being interpreted as anything from going catatonic to being cold and soulless to just performing off of rote actions and/or instincts depending on the needs of the character as well as the table/game/chronicle.

They aren't soulless their fairy nature is asleep until the death of the body. THat's what Undone are. Arcadian Fairies are no different than Autumn fairies who are undone. They have still picked up some level of mortal memories.

Comment

Arcadians are distinct from their Autumn counterparts. Arcadians don't follow the Changeling Way and they don't create the same sort of arguably symbiotic relationship with their mortal hosts, including their souls, that Autumn fae do.

Arcadians are body snatchers. They dislodge the human soul and fully take over. They don't reincarnate and according to the sources we have their mortal souls are trapped somewhere far away after the Arcadians take over.

Comment

Arcadians are distinct from their Autumn counterparts. Arcadians don't follow the Changeling Way and they don't create the same sort of arguably symbiotic relationship with their mortal hosts, including their souls, that Autumn fae do.

Arcadians are body snatchers. They dislodge the human soul and fully take over. They don't reincarnate and according to the sources we have their mortal souls are trapped somewhere far away after the Arcadians take over.
              True. They would be grey, listless persons. Perhaps even prime examples of persons with the 5pt "Psychic Vampire" flaw.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
              Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Arcadians are distinct from their Autumn counterparts. Arcadians don't follow the Changeling Way and they don't create the same sort of arguably symbiotic relationship with their mortal hosts, including their souls, that Autumn fae do

And they don't look any different when their souls are asleep. I can go through the books Arcadian Sidhe aren't treated as anything special when they aren't awake, they have normal down times if chimerically killled. They have normal undoings. You'd think if a whole Kith had special mechanics for Chimerical death and Undoing it would come up?

Comment

I'm not saying they aren't undone and aren't chimerically killed, I'm just gonna say that I don't personally think you can treat their mortal selves while in such states the same way that you can treat any other mortal, because they are missing an integral element of there being.

Comment

I'm not saying they aren't undone and aren't chimerically killed, I'm just gonna say that I don't personally think you can treat their mortal selves while in such states the same way that you can treat any other mortal, because they are missing an integral element of there being.

And I am saying there's no basis that having a sleeping soul does anything. IF we include OTHER gamelines... the vast majority of normal people have sleeping souls. They are not missing anything. They are asleep.

Comment

I'm not referring to the human soul being asleep, the fae soul is dormant during such periods. In the Arcadians, the human soul is not asleep. It is gone. It has been expelled to allow the Arcadian Fae soul to entrench.

This is the difference between Arcadian hosts and changeling hosts that I've been trying to illustrate.

Comment

I'm not referring to the human soul being asleep, the fae soul is dormant during such periods. In the Arcadians, the human soul is not asleep. It is gone. It has been expelled to allow the Arcadian Fae soul to entrench.

This is the difference between Arcadian hosts and changeling hosts that I've been trying to illustrate.

There is a difference. And for the fairies and wizards of the world it matters. It matters that there's someone who's basically getting the short end of C:TL thanks to the Arcadian Fae. But it doesn't matter to common folk. IT doesn't leave behind something unique or special. That wouldn't be Banal. Comas, sudden deaths, these are EXCITING. IT doesn't leave behind an artist, that's for sure. They aren't going to be developing new theories or innovating... it just leaves behind another banal cog.

IF you want to engage in the "you're a horrible body snatcher" plot that's when the Arcadian is actually active.. maybe you bring the Tithed or a Kermet into play, maybe you have someone freak out about how they've completely changed like in Ascendency of a Bookworm... but once they have fallen to Banality... that's the end of interesting moments.

Comment

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I don't get the references, except for the CtL one, but I'm not totally sure what you're getting at here. Could you please clarify?

Comment

I'm sorry, maybe it's because I don't get the references, except for the CtL one, but I'm not totally sure what you're getting at here. Could you please clarify?

So I'm still eyeing the thread and taking this in, but I think the point is that the mortal soul who gets evicted for an Arcadian fae has a parallel to the changelings in Lost, who are humans stolen away to faerie lands.

Comment

Sure, I get that much, I'm just not sure how that relates to Lian's final point, nor am I entirely certain what that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X