Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to an undone Arcadian Sidhe's body?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If I understand correctly, Lian's argument here is that there are differences, sure. But once a Changeling is undone they don't get anything "interesting." Drama, adventure, tragedy, tension, these are all things that happen for people who still have a spark in them.

    An undone Changeling doesn't get to live in interesting times, or even exist on their periphery. "Interesting" in general just doesn't happen to them, neither by their own actions nor by those of others or the world at large.

    If I understand correctly, Lian is saying that yes, someone's effectively spirited away to the Hedge, but since Banality is so incredibly antithetical to story, the time for that to be relevant in any way, shape, or form is before a Sidhe is lost to it, not after.

    I'm not sure I agree with it? But I can see the point: Banality is so uninteresting that its final cruelty here is that it doesn't even let your ending have dramatic tension.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
      I'm sorry, maybe it's because I don't get the references, except for the CtL one, but I'm not totally sure what you're getting at here. Could you please clarify?

      That someone had their body snatched is without a doubt True. If you want to engage in that plot as a thing. The Tithed were a concept brought up in End Times Book, and were recycled for the theoretical c5 musings. In a metaphysical truth, there is a person who's soul was carried off to Arcadia and very much might be having a "Lost" experience. Even in the Dreaming game. Or they might be Keremet Denizens.. you have some options to play up on the "Fuck you body thief". There's all sorts of plots one can hang off of it.

      That Arcadian Sidhe are any different in Undoing isn't one of them and heavily undercuts the power of Banality. Dreams don't matter. Souls don't matter. I mean think of the undone almost as a Pzombie. It moves.. it shows everything that a person is supposed to do. But there's no inner light, no inner reflection. Its not something as interesting as a Coma patient though. Its frightening in that how much its able to keep moving without that light. How little the light of that person actually matters either as a Fairy or a Human.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mockery View Post

        I'm not sure I agree with it? But I can see the point: Banality is so uninteresting that its final cruelty here is that it doesn't even let your ending have dramatic tension.

        Not uninteresting. Banality is meant to be so frightening to the Fairies that they'd rather die. That they would kill for glamour. The Undone arcadian who slips into a coma and dies that would be a happish ending for them. There's closure. But that same friend walking around completely forgotten, completely blind to who they were. That's what frightens and drives them to act.

        I Mean imagine tomorrow a person you loved for decades... woke up and forgot you? They have a perfectly normal life, painfully normally really as it no longer includes you.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Lian View Post
          Not uninteresting. Banality is meant to be so frightening to the Fairies that they'd rather die. That they would kill for glamour. The Undone arcadian who slips into a coma and dies that would be a happish ending for them. There's closure. But that same friend walking around completely forgotten, completely blind to who they were. That's what frightens and drives them to act.

          I Mean imagine tomorrow a person you loved for decades... woke up and forgot you? They have a perfectly normal life, painfully normally really as it no longer includes you.

          A person that I loved very much was afflicted with Alzheimers disease. Parts of her just disappeared. To the extent that she became a different person entirely. But I came to love that lady too. When she passed, you could say that I cried for two dear ladies.

          So it makes me wonder; if a person who carried a fae soul, lost that soul, and if the bodies original soul returned, might it be an innocent? The soul of a child, returned to a body now grown cold from banality, and bowed with the weight of years, is a horrible thought.


          “Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
          Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

          Comment


          • #20
            Alright I do think I get what you're saying now Lian and I can certainly see the thematic value in it although I might not always go with that myself for stories or chronicles, but I believe that I now understand what you were getting at.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post


              A person that I loved very much was afflicted with Alzheimers disease. Parts of her just disappeared. To the extent that she became a different person entirely. But I came to love that lady too. When she passed, you could say that I cried for two dear ladies..
              Having had a similar experience.. but one that turned out not as kindly. My Grandmother, went into full dementia in the last 10 years of her life. Everything she used to be was gone, but she could still "function" she was just this horrible bitter being that could even sense that she had lost so much but couldn't put her finger on it.

              So that's what I imagine being Undone is like... honestly I think she would have been happier without those ten years of misery.


              Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
              Alright I do think I get what you're saying now Lian and I can certainly see the thematic value in it although I might not always go with that myself for stories or chronicles, but I believe that I now understand what you were getting at.
              There are definately other directions to take it in, I just think the stated base is that Arcadian SIdhe aren't special. That doesn't mean they can't be made that way. I know I'd make them MUCH more similar if I was playing a Crossover with Fallen so it looks like there's a distinct spectrum from Arcadian, to Hsien(who can be haunted by theirown ghosts!) to Fallen.

              Comment

              Working...
              X