Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Thallain interface with Cold Iron?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Thallain interface with Cold Iron?

What it says in the title. In my head, Cold Iron/Banality seems universally toxic to all Fae, Thallain included, but at the same time, House Balor's perk seems to indicate that Thallain have no compunctions against the stuff... Confusement.

Further, in my head, Nightmare seemed to be a contrary to banality, sort of the opposite end of the spectrum, but that doesn't quite track when what with there being implications that the Thallain actually WANT winter? Like, is Winter their death or not? I can see the Dauntain wanting the Winter, because they're antithetical to all things Dreaming, but aren't the Thallain equally damaged by disbelief in chimerical reality? Is there an actual answer here, or is it just sort of a hand-waved "shits crazy man"?

The C20 focused question is Banality and Glamour are not objective, but subjective for the person experiencing them. So Winter being terrible and full of Banality for say a Gwydion sidhe does not mean that it's terrible for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
      The C20 focused question is Banality and Glamour are not objective, but subjective for the person experiencing them. So Winter being terrible and full of Banality for say a Gwydion sidhe does not mean that it's terrible for everyone.
      I mean, yes and no? It certainly described banality/glamour as subjective (I might find Shakespeare inspires me to write, while a highschooler cant think straight out of boredom). However, that doesn't change the fact that regardless of kiths or origin story, cold iron IS objective banality, and the Winter IS a chimerically apocalyptic event that is reducing glamour at large. Though our sources may be different, they have made it pretty clear that Freeholds are dying, Chimera are fading into ephemera, and Changelings are Undone at increasingly frightening rates. This is not to say that every Changeling will be affected by that in the exact same way, but that these events are transpiring and will erase the Changeling way of life. So back to my core question, does Cold Iron hurt Thallain?

Comment

Cold iron hurts Thallain, possibly not Fomorians, and neither are worried about Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post
          Cold iron hurts Thallain, possibly not Fomorians, and neither are worried about Winter.
          very interesting... They're not like... agents of the evernight, are they? I would throw Dauntain into that category. The lines confuse me

Comment

Thallain are just as vulnerable to Cold Iron as other fae. Their relationship with banality is all about ravaging. They and nightmares are all about feeding/preying on hope, joy and wonder until you are so scared of dreaming that you give up on dreams, making you more banal.

That mortals best defense against these monsters (and other fae ravagers) is something even more banal, Cold Iron makes banality even stronger.
            Last edited by MythAdvocate; 12-04-2019, 08:57 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
            Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Originally posted by RigelJ View Post

very interesting... They're not like... agents of the evernight, are they? I would throw Dauntain into that category. The lines confuse me
              C20 Dauntain aren't about Banality either

Comment

zenten what are Dauntain about?

In D&D, Fionnghuala is the goddess of Swan Maidens. Fionnghuala is also the Irish version of Penelope.

Comment

Originally posted by RigelJ View Post

I mean, yes and no? It certainly described banality/glamour as subjective (I might find Shakespeare inspires me to write, while a highschooler cant think straight out of boredom). However, that doesn't change the fact that regardless of kiths or origin story, cold iron IS objective banality, and the Winter IS a chimerically apocalyptic event that is reducing glamour at large. Though our sources may be different, they have made it pretty clear that Freeholds are dying, Chimera are fading into ephemera, and Changelings are Undone at increasingly frightening rates. This is not to say that every Changeling will be affected by that in the exact same way, but that these events are transpiring and will erase the Changeling way of life. So back to my core question, does Cold Iron hurt Thallain?
                  Winter precedes spring. Some groups want Winter so they can rush ahead to Spring. But also, not everyone is affected equally by Winter or is willing to accept the dangers.

Think of it like Fae Climate Change. Those who revel in their oil money will be happy even as they choke on the smog. They should realise they're killing themselves and their children too, but they're too busy thinking about the temporary gains.

In Winter, those fae who are less vulnerable to Banality are also going to be stronger and have greater influence than they might have when nobler dreams hold sway.

The Thallain and Fomorians represent primal fears rather than higher ideals, and so their power supply only really gets cut off when humans become automatons or disappear completely. You don't need to dream to be scared, and loss of hope probably increases nightmares. These beings get to enjoy their own dark Glamour even in times when the Dreaming is weakened.

Nightmare is a strange beast. Nightmare is a perversion of or dark side to Glamour, but also seems to emerge when Banality might possibly have taken root instead but didn't. That because sometimes the inner conflict between Glamour and Banality results in neither winning, with Nightmare resulting instead. In that sense it's a bit like Torment (Demon) or Angst (Wraith). It's the perversion of hope and dream and wonder in the face of crushing disbelief and drudgery; it's the realisation that the world can be horrific and oppressive, when all you really want is to be lifted up and imagine great things; it's the twisting of Glamour in the face of sheer Banality, because it's the only other outlet available for those feelings in that moment.
                  Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 12-06-2019, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                    zenten what are Dauntain about?
                    Hating the Dreaming now, which can be something at all levels of Banality.

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense.

In D&D, Fionnghuala is the goddess of Swan Maidens. Fionnghuala is also the Irish version of Penelope.

Comment

Working...
                      X