Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Endless Winter the same thing as Banality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Endless Winter the same thing as Banality?

Banality is dull, boring, normal. When I think Endless Winter I think Game of Thrones. Winter is horrible and tragic and sometimes lethal, but not really Banal.

What do you think?

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done... Sidney Carton’s last line before he goes to the guillotine to save Lucie

I think you undercut the concept of Banality. It is a world without beauty, a world without heart.. IF you've seen the movie Equalibrium that is Banality.. its not "Boring"

Comment

I haven’t, but ok. I guess I took the word banal too literally.

It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done... Sidney Carton’s last line before he goes to the guillotine to save Lucie

Comment

The Endless Winter Looks Normal to mortals. It will look bland and safe. A totalitarian dystopia where Dreaming is forbidden. Where poems will get you sent for "Reeducation" where its all "just done" and no one thinks about it. The world is a thoughtless machine that has ground people down.

Or its exploitation. Everyone has to have a side hustle. Every passion has become exploited for comericial gain. Everything of value is squeezed away in the name of efficiency... but some people get to enjoy it.

Comment

Wow...that sounds awful :'(.

I thought they meant a literal winter. Like snow and ice.

Comment

That sounds awful . Much worse than what I was picturing.

Comment

They did change the name of the Winter to the Evernight, but basically take a comparison between the Dreaming and the Autumn World. How much magic do you see in your everyday life? How normal is it to actually create? And when people do create, how does that go for them? Even creative genius is commercialized into oblivion, where the bottom line is more important than actually sending a message, where passion and free thought are ground down through a sieve into statistics and consumer products, where selling out is the only way to make the rent. If you've ever been at school or work and felt like the life you live isn't worth it because everything is just a meaningless grind, take that feeling, and apply it to every single aspect of your life. Take the "I live for the weekend where I get to drink myself into oblivion because that hurts less than the life I live" mentality, then take away the weekend, and the drinking. Think of how much less magic the Autumn world is than the Dreaming, and make it that, but more. It's not a literal snow-scape, its a world completely devoid of mirth and wonder, where you are nothing but a cog and you don't even have the time to care anymore, because what about the bottom line? That. That is the Evernight. You don't have time to feel the pain, get back to work. No time for silly childish games, time to grow up.

2 movies I felt highlighted this relationship well were The Little Prince on Netlfix, and oddly, Ready Player One. Both are about children vying to use wonder to take on a corporate world that wants to own them and replace the impossible with the routine. The big difference between those movies and Changeling are that in those movies, Banality loses.

"Im a Dreamer, I make worlds!"
              -Halliday, Ready Player One
              Last edited by RigelJ; 12-04-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

RigelJ damn. That REALLY sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  RigelJ damn. That REALLY sucks.
                  Its an apocalypse scenario for the Fae. And its currently happening, day by day. Its what makes Changeling a horror story.

Comment

In my view of the setting, the efforts of the preternatural Wyrm and its minions has been to ravage all of the world. To drain all of the energy, wonder, joy and passion out of the world through its many tendrils of horror, abuse, and grinding tedium. And so, while this dreadful process is wringing the world of all light and hope, it is all to feed the might of dread entities bound up within the world and to kill the wonder that makes its prison possible. And with all of that power, the greatest of nightmares can break free...

So along with spiritual apathy, there is to be ecological collapse, social depravity, economic collapse AND the return of the Fomorians and a grim tide of Thallain and other monsters. So in all, I would say that Endless Winter would be a complete breakdown of everything, but with no ray of sunshine.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Do you guys picture the Fomorians as creatures of Celtic myth or more like Cthulhoid monsters?

Comment

I'm a fan of the Cthulhu-esque angle myself, as Merrow embody.

As far as Banality goes, I look at Office Space, Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Idiocracy, anything where existence hurts unless you exist in a half-conscious state. But are you really alive then?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicJuggler View Post
                          I'm a fan of the Cthulhu-esque angle myself, as Merrow embody.

As far as Banality goes, I look at Office Space, Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Idiocracy, anything where existence hurts unless you exist in a half-conscious state. But are you really alive then?
                          That is a solid take. A brutal, low brow consciousness. Ideal for primal dreams to return.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
                          Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            Do you guys picture the Fomorians as creatures of Celtic myth or more like Cthulhoid monsters?
                            Both, neither and more. Fomorians are primal. They're beings of Nightmare and Dark Glamour. They represent things beyond human control, dangers in the time before civilisation, the brutality and hate of a world that isn't tamed by human hands.

The Fomorians have never been detailed in the same way as, say, the Neverborn (Wraith), Yama Kings (Kindred of the East) or Yozi (Exalted). They're probably on that level of power, or greater, but they're defined more loosely so you can define them however you like.

Comment

I don't believe in a One World of Darkness Scenario that all the Protagonist factions are nesisarily on the same side, like Gehenna or the Apocalypse MIGHT be something that ultimately upsets the inevitable slide into Winter. There are many world ending options coming to the table but they don't have to all match up with eachother and some might be preferable to some factions than others... like the Dark Glamour released from Vampire Blood gods risings and showing that there is magic in this world and it will be acknowledged is going to be something that pushes back paradox and banality... even if billions die along the way.

I think in crossover gaming its far more interesting for it to look distinctly beneficial if someone elses end of the world happens... it makes it so much more interesting about conflict rather than only fighting "Evil" parts of another gameline.

Comment

Working...
                              X