Need a summary of info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a summary of info

Hi all, my players are about to start interacting with C:tD concepts like Trods and the Dreaming. I have the C20 book but am finding the section on Trods hard to grok.

Can someone provide a summary of Trods for me? Or link to a handy online one?
    I know they come in three flavors, silver, green, and... gold?
    What do they look like? Where do they end and what do those ends look like? (are they literal doors in alleys? or a cave entrance or...?) How are they made and who made them?

That sort of thing.

Regarding the Dreaming, what does look like? I'm used to describing various forms of Umbra, but I don't have a grasp on the Dreaming...

Any help appreciated.

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
    Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Originally posted by nikink View Post
    Hi all, my players are about to start interacting with C:tD concepts like Trods and the Dreaming. I have the C20 book but am finding the section on Trods hard to grok.

Can someone provide a summary of Trods for me? Or link to a handy online one?
    I know they come in three flavors, silver, green, and... gold?
    Bit mixed up there.

You have the Silver Path trods, which are barred to any creature touched by darkness.
    You have the Paths of Balor, one-way trods that fall into one of three groups: Black (which lead to the Underworld), Green (between the mortal world and the Near or Far Dreaming; a few in the Dreaming lead to the Middle Umbra instead), and Gold (no-one knows where they lead, because no-one has ever returned).
    You have Twilight trods, which are open for anyone to use, though established paths are heavily guarded.

What do they look like? Where do they end and what do those ends look like? (are they literal doors in alleys? or a cave entrance or...?)
    Quite simply, it depends. A trod always looks like a path of some kind, but can take any form beyond that. There will always be challenges of some sort to face on it. If you have an idea who holds the trod, then their nature will affect its appearance.

Established gateways to trods will have a form appropriate to the freehold they're located, although they needn't look like a gateway at first sight; two sample gateways are a brick wall and a laptop.

A trod's Dreaming end will be up to you to decide.

How are they made and who made them?

That sort of thing.
    New trods can be made by tying yourself to something stable, like a freehold, stepping off an established trod into the Dreaming, then defeating all obstacles until you get where you're going. As to who makes them, the Dreaming has had a lot of residents over the centuries.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Ah ok, thanks, that's very helpful in making some things click for me.

Related question: if you take mundane objects into the (Near) Dreaming, what do they look like? My player for specific instance wants to bring a honking great 4WD landcruiser into the Dreaming to travel the Trod... and so... the party and car disappear from the Autumn World, and in the Near Dreaming they are in a car? On a smoke belching mechanical horse? Something like that?

Shapeshifting Historian

Comment

Ah ok, thanks, that's very helpful in making some things click for me.

Related question: if you take mundane objects into the (Near) Dreaming, what do they look like? My player for specific instance wants to bring a honking great 4WD landcruiser into the Dreaming to travel the Trod... and so... the party and car disappear from the Autumn World, and in the Near Dreaming they are in a car? On a smoke belching mechanical horse? Something like that?
        Not sure if it's described anywhere, but the guiding assumption in the Dreams and Nightmares sourcebook appears to be that mundane items taken into the Dreaming remain what they are (at least, there's no description of mortals who enter the Dreaming in the flesh doing so naked).

Just don't bring anything made of cold iron (wrought iron). That has... cataclysmic effects.

Comment

Ok! That's great info, thanks!

(What happens if they take cold iron in? I don't think the PCs have any on them so this is mostly an academic question. That said, you know... PCs... )

Shapeshifting Historian

Comment

(What happens if they take cold iron in? I don't think the PCs have any on them so this is mostly an academic question. That said, you know... PCs... )

I would say that is when the Storyteller gets to cackle maniacally.

Depending on the circumstances, it might cause a terrible explosion that would kill or even unmake the PC's, or drop them into some Nightmare realm. This explosion would likely rip a hole into the nightmare realms and sending all manner of horrible entities loose on the Autumn world.

Very few things are actually made of cold iron, with most things we think of as being made of iron actually being alloys. Alloys do not have the effect of cold iron on changelings or the Dreaming.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
            Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Per Dreams and Nightmares, one Dauntain managed it towards the end of World War I, smuggling a cold iron crowbar in. It destroyed him, vaporised the Near Dreaming around Versailles, and triggered storms the like of which had never been seen in the Dreaming. The backlash obliterated more than a dozen freeholds in France and other parts of Europe. The crowbar was forcibly ejected into the Autumn world.

Comment

Ok that's good to know! Something cataclysmic, but not mechanical per se. Sweet.
                Thanks.

Shapeshifting Historian

Comment

Working...
                X