Freeholds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeholds

Hi All - im working on my overarching campaign setting which is city of my own creation. Im trying to decide on the freeholds and one thing im really not sure about is how many. The city is a huge sprawling coastal location with a lot of open water. Its a sprawling metropolis with population c17m people.

So appreciating thats not much to go on - how many freeholds would feel about right?

What themes are going for? I'm for example in my game pushing Gold Rush feel with a recent Glimmering opening up a previously functionally dead area there's alot of stuff to claim but.. thematically it works.

SO you need to think about the Flavor of your city. There are definately cities I'd say where more Banal for population numbers than others. So think about it this way how big a population of Fairies do you want? Do you want them to feel like they are few and far between in a nameless faceless city that is killing their dreams.. or do you want to push a larger population? where there might be whole "Hidden" alleyways, and secret villages?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
      So think about it this way how big a population of Fairies do you want? Do you want them to feel like they are few and far between in a nameless faceless city that is killing their dreams.. or do you want to push a larger population? where there might be whole "Hidden" alleyways, and secret villages?
      I hadnt thought of it like that, thankyou. Its a city thats full of corruptions and dark shadows. Now i think like that im starting to feel that a single large unseelie freehold might dominate perhaps with maybe a couple of hidden unseelie ones that are much smaller perhaps.

Comment

What is the city layout like? Does it have any notable districts, beyond the dockyards or otherwise? Due to its size, chances are the main Freehold could be a Ducal seat, but that depends on what its neighbors are like. That said, partitioning the city up into smaller turfs, each ruled by an individual Baron, may be a prospective option for your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dargurd View Post
          So appreciating thats not much to go on - how many freeholds would feel about right?
          Twelve.

Twelve shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be twelve.

Thirteen shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count eleven, excepting that thou then proceedeth to twelve.

Fourteen is right out.

(Seriously, as many as you feel you need for your game, or at least as many as you feel like making or that would seem interesting and give your players cool stuff to do.)
          Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-26-2020, 01:52 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

It depends on the size and strength of them, but honestly Freeholds have existed in greater quantity then all places of power except haunts. So they outnumber Caerns, and Nodes are well generic places of power so you can consider them related.

But if its a huge metropolis feel free to carve it up into territories. Like a Sidhe Maincourt revolving around a strong main Freehold. And then some side Freeholds, and some periphery courts.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
            X