Can you play a “Good” Ghast?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you play a “Good” Ghast?

They are my most favorite Thallain kith. It also seems like one that could use their Birthright for good, as like a actual surgeon lTheir frailty is pretty bad, but you can survive with only one Kidney.

They're children of the Fomorians, so it's not really possible. Maybe if the Ghast is half-Tuathan, if such a thing is even possible. That doesn't seem to make a difference with any of the half-Fomorians running about.

Comment

Perhaps a Dexter like antihero. But not a "good" Ghast. The kiths diet alone makes them pretty fiendish.

What creatures can have the "Glamour rich flesh" that a ghast requires? Dreamers and Changelings of course. But what of Kinain, Gallain or Prodigals? I assume chimera count while in the dreaming.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
      Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Shit one could like repeatly feed of a Faerie blooded Garou, of course that brings up the question of how they kept a Werewolf in their basement for Repeated munchies.

Comment

Good is a... loaded term.

But if you really wanted I would say you could make a workable protagonist. But they have a lot of cards stacked against them for wicked wicked deeds.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

There was a post on this page asking "Can Thallain be good guys?". This was my answer on that thread.

"FYI, new player here, not in any way an expert, but I have run a game where a player was a Thallain and it worked. I would like to preface this that that game was run with a 'everybody is an asshole, you're only the protagonists because you are the least bad' mentality.

When combining Seeming Banality triggers, urges, and legacies... it's possible, but it's an uphill battle. Understand that they are fundamentally forces of destruction. They are flat-out antithetical to Changeling society at large, because Changeling society is comprised of Children of the Tuatha, while the Thallain are Children of the Formorians. If they follow their INTENDED purpose, it doesn't work. However, as is always the case with White Wolf, there are exceptions. We have all succumbed to urges, making decisions we know are bad and regret later. As a character like that, working as an anti-hero, yeah, maybe it could work as stated above. I'd also like to posit that House Balor is a house that can in fact be a part of your Motley and can also work with Thallain. There is a number of ways to make this situation work, and I personally recommend combining these. So here's my thoughts on how this could actually pan out:

* First, make Kithain bad guys. Have groups like the Beltane Blade around, making the core antagonist of your Chronicle the worst possible interpretation of Seelie conduct. Sidhe can make FANTASTIC fascists here, giving 0 f*cks about their retainers or the commoners left out in the cold.

* Second, make Unseelie good guys opposing these groups. The Unseelie here can be very anti-heroish, robin hoods stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. That type of character exists even within fairy tale lore already, and they provide excellent NPC's in this regard.

* Third, make victims of the Sidhe. Have the Players find the commoners left out in the cold and watch them slowly fade and die, all while the Sidhe party it up from their warm and cushy Freeholds.

* Fourth, make regretful Thallain. Make them be people who have the urge to destroy and have trouble holding that urge back without falling to slumber. Have them experience what it is to lose someone/something they care about because of their destructive nature. I've absolutely known people who felt entirely justified in every fight they had with their significant others, but still miss their partner after the relationship dies. They might even realize that they are the problem, even if they have trouble changing their worldview. That type of person, someone who realizes that fundamentally they have a PROBLEM and trying to deal with the consequences of their own vitriol could make an excellent story, if told by a sensitive and respectful Storyteller.

In short, make "Good Guys" who are only pretty on the outside and abuse their power, counterbalanced by people that are WORTH saving, and make sure that the Thallain players are either anti-hero in nature, or reforming bad guys (think Prince Zuko type narrative arc).

This formula worked excessively well for me. The Chronicle ended when the Thallain player (arguably the protagonist) officiated a contract wherein he would willingly sacrifice his own life in order to eliminate the local Sidhe tyrants, and did it in such a way that the Commoner's themselves became the Holder's of both new Titles and Freeholds. It was a massive political web, but it was enforced by the dreaming, and he willingly got down on his knees, letting a commoner pick up the Sword of Supreme-Tropedom and plunge it through his chest, while his friends murdered the Sidhe lord. It made the Commoners heroes, and left a power vacuum allowing them to socially ascend, inheriting the rights of the slain nobles, not even knowing that was the entire plan. Yeah, its possible. Just be sensitive."
            Last edited by RigelJ; 02-07-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I never bought into the idea Ghasts were Redcap Thallain.. they don't seem to share anything really. I"d personally just build a Greys Kithain using some of the ideas from Ghasts and go from there. Remember Custom kiths are always a thing.

Comment

I am going to take a stab (ha!) at making sense of Ghasts as the Thallain analogue to Redcaps.

Redcaps personify *hunger* in its most raw form. Whether this means a Donner party, or a tribe feasting on a mastodon, they are a drive that is not innately good or evil, but a survival urge.

Ghasts are not that kind of hunger. Ghasts are the kind of hunger that moved beyond the need to eat as a survival urge, but is more for the sheer *pleasure* of preying on victims. Think Hannibal Lecter, or even the chef that invented foie gras. They also gestalt with fears of not being *killed*, but being rendered less than yourself, whether it's waking up in a Tijuana bathtub in an ice bucket, or being unnecessarily amputated or lobotomized...

Ghasts are pretty tough to do in a "heroic" way. Their powers make them good assassins and predators, but make them innately antagonistic. Unless you're interested in "a Ghast that hunts other Thallain to be the best," you'll have a tricky time with the heroic aspect imo.

Comment

I feel like Ghasts and Redcaps are too distinctly different. I mean the frailty is a solid hook and if they were more "dark mirrors" like Dark apetitle, with say the ghast frailty you have something pretty solid that easily sneaks into the red cap family dinners and pushes them to be monsters.

Meanwhile you have ghasts who as they exist kind of have the bits to setup a Greys Kith(Good at surgery, mess with memories) that you swap afew things around and bam you can play a little Grey man.

Comment

Ghasts are really Cool, but I also was fond of the Idea Redcaps didn't have Thallain because they were the Thallain, so maybe they should have had a softer version of themselves that they Usurped. Which would be I don't know Kobolds or Gnomes? Some sort of hat Wearing Wee Folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      Ghasts are really Cool, but I also was fond of the Idea Redcaps didn't have Thallain because they were the Thallain, so maybe they should have had a softer version of themselves that they Usurped. Which would be I don't know Kobolds or Gnomes? Some sort of hat Wearing Wee Folk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluecap

Comment

Yeah that's why I was suggesting Kobolds, I figured Bluecap is too on the nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Yeah that's why I was suggesting Kobolds, I figured Bluecap is too on the nose.

This is WOD have an elaborate series of sub "Cap" splats determined by the color of the hat is entirely on point!

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                            They are my most favorite Thallain kith. It also seems like one that could use their Birthright for good, as like a actual surgeon lTheir frailty is pretty bad, but you can survive with only one Kidney.
                            I run Kinain where you can have Birthrights. A Kinain of a Ghast could be tussling with their darkside ala Dexter and or being entirely good and striving to use the power given to them by their horrible ancestor to make ammends.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Michael View Post
                              They're children of the Fomorians, so it's not really possible. Maybe if the Ghast is half-Tuathan, if such a thing is even possible. That doesn't seem to make a difference with any of the half-Fomorians running about.

I respectfully disagree... Difficult, indeed, but possible...

Comment

Working...
                              X