HAKAHE: A Dream / Umbral Realm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAKAHE: A Dream / Umbral Realm

For a larger image, or to support the artist, check out my patreon.

This is the Dream Realm/Umbral Realm of Hakahe. Also known as Vulcan, this small hypothetical planet that was proposed to lay on Mercury's orbital path on the exact opposite side of the Sun. By the end of 1919, it was concluded that this planet did not exist.

Or so they say…

Though still occasionally seen by mortal astronomers, this world now exists primarily in the Umbra and the Dreaming. Named Hakahe after the worlds resident Incarnae spirit, this realm is home and refuge to many fae, bygones, and “lost” mortal tribes and the remnants of several lost civilizations. It is a “tidally locked” world, with one side always facing the Sun (HOT SIDE) and one side facing away (COLD SIDE), resulting in a “twilight” temperate zone.

Some Places of Note

SOLAR CITY (Shirkar, Clockwork City): This huge city is the largest on the planet, and is full of workshops, forges, and artisans who constantly churn out machines, weapons, ships and cunning devices. Solar City is an ever-changing wonderland of moving sidewalks, mechanical carriages, and other marvels. The city is peopled by automatons, enchanted mortals, kinain, fae and other beings who prize artistry and craftwork are welcome here. Peace is maintained by the Children of Karnak, a ferocious but beautiful, golden-brown skinned spirit-people. These martial beings are ferocious but fair warriors with control of terrible weapons and powers that even the Nümüzo'ho respect. The city boasts a huge automaton army, and a fleet of potent Aether Vessels.
    Solar City is neutral in their politics in the realm, preferring to use its forces to battle Fomorian entities and supply allied customers with weapons and troops. The other factions of Hakahe covet the resources of Solar City.

URDHEIM (Wyrdgard, Fortress of Fate): This fortress/citadel is located in the Western hemisphere of the Cold Side. It was founded ages ago by the Volva Sisterhood of House Aesin and guarded by a ferocious retinue of Trolls and Glome guardians (called the Sturm Guards). This sisterhood keeps mostly to themselves, preferring to seek visions and study the heavens. The fortress is maintained mostly by kinain (Sidhe and Troll), along with chimera and enchanted mortal slaves. Urdhein is not widely loved by other denizens of the realm, due to their slave taking and Aesin arrogance.

KHARIS: The town of Kharis is a classic frontier town, though one that is built of stone, and clay. Kharis is built around an ancient shrine dedicated to the seasons, and as such the denizens have a deep reverence for natural cycles. The economy and culture here is all about raising cattle, horses and a great many ceremonies and traditions. The people of Kharis are a mix of Nunnehi and European kinain and enchanted mortals, with Canotili, Surem, Satyr, Sidhe, Tunghat, Eshu, Nümüzo'ho and Pooka bloodlines being the most common.

NEW ESNU: This ancient city is located in the Easters hemispheres Hot Zone, and thus is mostly underground though it boasts a large pyramid aboveground. New Esnu is home to the Mummy Wizard Huu. This immortal entity is not nearly as Banal as his fellows and in-fact has extensive allies among the fae, particularly Eshu, Satyr, Yunwi Tsundsi and Pooka. The city is a place of riddles, games and learning. The city is maintained by golems (baked pottery people), and has a number of enchanted humans dwelling here.

GOIBNIU MTS: These chill mountains are located in the Eastern hemisphere of the Cold Side. It is a wild place that is full of deep caves and riddled with tunnels that dig deep into the planet. Many Boggans, Dragon-Kin, Nockers, Sluagh, Trolls and Glome live here along with cavern-dwelling creatures. The caverns of these mountains are heated by geothermal vents and lit by glowing crystals, and are home to a wide range on undergound plants and animals. Small villages of enchanted humans and kinain can be found here, and are renowned for their hospitality and skill at mining, brewing and cooking.

KUPALA PEAKS: These mighty mountains are located in the Western hemisphere of the Hot Zone. The Kupala Peaks are sun-baked, red mountains underneath which are caverns full of warm caves and volcanic tunnels that go deep underground. These underground realms are teeming with live and full of lovely underground lakes and gardens, lit be eldritch crystals. Communities of Dragon-kin, Imps, Ondines, Surem, Satyrs, Kachina, Nymphs and other beings dwell here. All who seek renewal and pleasure are welcome. The lords of these underworld gardens are rumored to be powerful fae of a fiendish caste, and their Unseelie servants do not discourage this rumor.

SUNDOG WASTES: A blasted wilderness located in the Western hemisphere of the Hot Zone. This region is a molten landscape of jagged rocks, haunted by fiery creatures. The dreaded Sundogs, dragon-like monsters that swoop down from the scorching sky to devour travelers. Solimonds are common here, as are other fiery creatures.

BOILING LAKE: This roiling lake is located in the Eastern hemisphere of the Hot Zone. Though not boiling exactly, this lake is very, very hot, and so full of salt that its waters are quite poisonous to mortals. Despite this, the lake does host life as well as many riches in the form of Dross rich crystals that are useful in Treasure making. Unfortunately, several dragons live here, and resent any would-be thieves.

LONELY PLAIN: This chill wasteland is located in the Western hemisphere in the Cold Zone. This region is an icy place of jagged stone, icy scree and snow. Life here is hard, but it does exist in the form of herds of rugged goats, ground squirrels and savage predators such as Grendels and rock bears. Any civilized beings found here will likely be cutthroats and outcasts.

TWILIGHT PLAINS (Temperate Grasslands): The equatorial zone of Hakahe is a fertile, temperate zone. It is home to many species of plants and animals that are extinct on Earth, as well as several that are now rare. Edible grasses such as Zizania “Wild” rice and corn grow wild. Wild horses, cattle, rabbits, coyote and other creatures dot the rolling plain and hills of this land. The plains are dotted with small forests of Cottonwood, Dogwood, Fir, and Fireweed, where deer, unicorns, squonks and hodag dwell. Except for the communities already listed, there are no other permanent dwellings on the planet, and so the plains are home to wandering tribes descended from a mix of Native American, African and European peoples.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 02-07-2020, 09:17 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Oh damn, once again another gem! I've said before but I'm a big fan of mixing Umbral and Dreaming lore, and I always loved how you weave in things from all over changeling whether its the Nunnehi or the Inanimae. And their are colorful new ideas baked in from extrapolations of Myth, love the the idea of Urdheim for instance!

Some day you should put out a PDF! Seriously even though your posts are articles sized rather then book sized they genuinely exit me as much if not more then most actual canon products. The other fan product to do the same was the Analects of the Third Garden for Vampire.

But this is some good stuff! And it pound for pound it fills me with more idea then new books! It gives me the same feeling I got when I first read supplements like Umbra Revised (my first Umbra book) Rage Across the Heavens or the Changeling's Players guide. It really cuts through my Banality.

So for instance are the Kupala peaks hostile in some way? There was always this weird balance in Koldunism portrayed in the books as being Natural but red in tooth and claw and being demonic and maybe less than natural.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      Oh damn, once again another gem! I've said before but I'm a big fan of mixing Umbral and Dreaming lore, and I always loved how you weave in things from all over changeling whether its the Nunnehi or the Inanimae. And their are colorful new ideas baked in from extrapolations of Myth, love the the idea of Urdheim for instance!

Some day you should put out a PDF! Seriously even though your posts are articles sized rather then book sized they genuinely exit me as much if not more then most actual canon products. The other fan product to do the same was the Analects of the Third Garden for Vampire.

But this is some good stuff! And it pound for pound it fills me with more idea then new books! It gives me the same feeling I got when I first read supplements like Umbra Revised (my first Umbra book) Rage Across the Heavens or the Changeling's Players guide. It really cuts through my Banality.

So for instance are the Kupala peaks hostile in some way? There was always this weird balance in Koldunism portrayed in the books as being Natural but red in tooth and claw and being demonic and maybe less than natural.

Thank you very much!

There is to be more on the Kupala peaks as well as other elements found on this map. Though the caves here hold many delights, there are dangers.
      I will be posting concerning personalities and creatures of this realm, which should tease out some details.
      Last edited by MythAdvocate; 02-06-2020, 06:52 AM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
      Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Working...
      X