The Ghastly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ghastly

“The Ghastly is an ancient being of inhuman intelligence and malice slumbering in the Dreamrealms surrounding New York City.” From the wiki.
    Does this sound like anything else in WoD lore? Namely, a certain other “ancient being of inhuman intelligence and malice” that’s been known to nap in the area?

Originally posted by QueenHerla View Post
    “The Ghastly is an ancient being of inhuman intelligence and malice slumbering in the Dreamrealms surrounding New York City.” From the wiki.
    Does this sound like anything else in WoD lore? Namely, a certain other “ancient being of inhuman intelligence and malice” that’s been known to nap in the area?
    Nothing that is statted out per se, but it could be many things. As a main villain, the Ghastly should be treated with flair. The Ghastly sounds like a Fomorian, possibly from either the White or Green Court. This probably should not have stats, with only a (difficult) means to knock it back to sleep or otherwise banish it rather than kill it. The Ghastly should be able to call up an army of Nervosa, Nocnitsa, Urban Legends, Dark-kin and Thallain.

In my home campaign, this monster is also known as "The Eater of Dreams", and dwells in a weird temple in the Near Dreaming. I treat this monstrous entity is a fomorian of the White Court, and has a cult consisting of mortals (mostly drug addicts and the insane), with a priesthood of Dark-Kin and Thallain with a growing number of Svartalves (see below) and fomori (chimera possessed mortals) in its service.

Svartalves (aka: Svarts, Keres)
    These “dark elves” make up one of the many races of warrior-chimera that serve the Dark. They are monsters of unrestrained rage and violence serving as soldiers. They are, literally, dreams of murder. They live for the moment when a victim’s life ends, and they revel in the mayhem and bloodshed they inflict. Packs of Svarts often indulge in frenzies of death and dismemberment, expressing only a malevolently dark humor at their victim’s expense. Svarts are lanky and bony, with glistening gray-black skin, greasy black hair, and crystal blue eyes. Their movements are reminiscent of spiders or small predatory animals. Their walk in a slouch, their arms nearly acting as forelegs. This slouch does not impede their movement in any way.
    Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 4, Perception 2, Intelligence 1, Wits 1
    Abilities: Alertness 3, Athletics (Climbing) 4, Kenning 2, Brawl 3, Intimidation 3, Stealth 4
    Glamour: 6, Willpower 4
    Health Levels: OK, -1, -2, -5, Incapacitated
    Redes: *Feed, Scuttle, Steal Glamour, Weapons (claws and fangs), Wyrd
    Attack: Bite for five dice (lethal); claw for five dice (lethal).
    *Feed: Svarts can regain lost Glamour by eating living prey (normally, 5 Glamour per live human consumed, or one for every pint of blood).
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 02-29-2020, 03:41 PM.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
    Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Oh snap where is the Ghastly Mentioned? I love me some lines drawn between it and being an Astral Shadow of the Eldests Corpse ecosystem!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        Oh snap where is the Ghastly Mentioned? I love me some lines drawn between it and being an Astral Shadow of the Eldests Corpse ecosystem!
        The Ghastly is mentioned in Freeholds & Hidden Glens, p. 48.

From the wiki:

The Ghastly is an ancient being of inhuman intelligence and malice slumbering in the Dreamrealms surrounding New York City.

Overview
        The Ghastly is a creature of chaos and sheer, unbridled Glamour. The Nunnehi knew of it and did battle with it in past millennia. It has been dormant for centuries, though. It's slumbering consciousness is centered in the Black Crystal Caverns and serves as the source for much of the freehold's Glamour. The nockers and other fae who live in Goblin Town have been drawing power from its chaotic dreams unknowingly for centuries. In return it has fed on their dreams and their creativity, effectively Ravaging them, and processing this back into the chaotic Glamour that is the freehold's trademark. If the nockers know it exists, it's only on the most subconscious of levels. None of them, except maybe the freehold's founder, Doctor Zachary Tapp, have ever guessed there is an overriding intelligence in their grotto. The Ghastly is subtle, even in slumber, and has insinuated aspects of its consciousness in every nook, cranny, and soul in the freehold. The chimera that plague Goblin Town also draw sustenance from it.
        In waking form, the Ghastly manifests as a dense, rolling, white fog. Colors flash through it and inhuman screams emanate from its core. In this form it is visible to changelings and mundane creatures alike. Any Garou encountering it would notice that it is a creature of the Wyld corrupted by the Wyrm. Its primary power is the creation of both incredibly sophisticated illusions and chimera. Because it lacks physical substance, it cannot be destroyed by conventional means. Cadmium Redd's experiments with Banality have disturbed its slumber; it has already opened one eye.

Comment

I was trying to imply the Ghastly might be the antediluvian Tzimisce, or more specifically a projection/manifestation of Tzimisce’s consciousness/dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenHerla View Post
            I was trying to imply the Ghastly might be the antediluvian Tzimisce, or more specifically a projection/manifestation of Tzimisce’s consciousness/dreams.
            It is certainly a possibility, especially since doing away with "all vampires are banal" concept. For my tastes though, I would prefer that the Ghastly be a mighty fae monster (Fomorian), and not a vampire, though I can certainly see how the Eldest (out of all the elder vamps) could be lumped into the White Court.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post

It is certainly a possibility, especially since doing away with "all vampires are banal" concept. For my tastes though, I would prefer that the Ghastly be a mighty fae monster (Fomorian), and not a vampire, though I can certainly see how the Eldest (out of all the elder vamps) could be lumped into the White Court.
              Tzimisce is also currently (or was recently) a giant Vicissitude blob, and Vicissitude being a very Wyld/Glamour/Dynamic power makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
              X