Custom Arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Arts

I know there have been discussion around here about them, but has anyone brought any into play?

For "historical" games set before electronics exist, I've seen STs default to the version of Skycraft from Blood-Dimmed Tides.
    Otherwise, I have been more interested in "tweaking" Arts rather than creating new ones wholecloth. Alas, playtesting has generally been limited in opportunity.

Comment

I did use a custom Art. I don't have a name for it in english, but it's used for purification. Breaking away external influences and impurities. It can even purify banality althought the purifier gets nightmare dice for every point of banality removed.

It's probably not well balanced, but I think it's fair cause it took the motley a entire chronicle to get it to save their friend, it was teached by one npc I created, the first Siochain. They used it to purify a balefire that was infected by a nightmare chimera.

Comment

Working on a magical energy manipulation art for my Nymph book. Circe also has several unique realms that she can teach to people she likes, like Stagehand, and Audience.

Comment

I may be running a game sometime in the near-future and thus I am going to be testing a few tweaks, modifications, and general cleanups to the system as a whole.

One concept I have considered experimenting with in the past is gaining a point Banality in order to invoke a Cantrip in "reverse." For example, rather than Dragon's Ire 1 buffing a target's strength, it would lower said target's strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Spook359 View Post
            Working on a magical energy manipulation art for my Nymph book. Circe also has several unique realms that she can teach to people she likes, like Stagehand, and Audience.

That's interesting. I have a Lilinot with Living Legend Circe as an npc in my game unique realms would be interesting...

Originally posted by MagicJuggler View Post
            I may be running a game sometime in the near-future and thus I am going to be testing a few tweaks, modifications, and general cleanups to the system as a whole.

One concept I have considered experimenting with in the past is gaining a point Banality in order to invoke a Cantrip in "reverse." For example, rather than Dragon's Ire 1 buffing a target's strength, it would lower said target's strength.
            Well I've added the idea of alternative techniques, an unleashing that gets codified you can learn it. Some might have special affnity for particular kiths.

Comment

Interesting. Unleashing, I had a system I sort of put together to systemize using it, but I am going to give it a second glance to see if I can refine it some more.

The original Unleashing homebrew I created was one where you could "link" the effects of two Arts together at the same time and violate several cantrip restrictions. However, I am probably going to instead decouple it a little further.

Comment

Interesting. Unleashing, I had a system I sort of put together to systemize using it, but I am going to give it a second glance to see if I can refine it some more.

The original Unleashing homebrew I created was one where you could "link" the effects of two Arts together at the same time and violate several cantrip restrictions. However, I am probably going to instead decouple it a little further.

Here's how i think of it. Standard art levels are tried and true effects, I would allow combo arts. Unleashing is..trying to make shit up on the fly. If you do the same trick a bunch of times. Eventually it stops being Unleashing. Seems to me the more reasonable "Anti" effects would be something people already might know its just not been widely spread.

Comment

I am not sure if the Changeling lore (mechanics are different of course) supports "creating new Arts," so much as it would finding new applications for preexisting ones.

The other thing about Cantrips is that they are explicitly targeted. "I want to affect THAT!" With Unleashing, I could see certain effects becoming "reflexive" so to speak. E.x. rather than "Legerdemain 1: Ensnare," you could Unleash Legerdemain to create a "zone of Ensnaring" so to speak.

The other thing I want to test when I start a game up, is I rewrote the Fae Realm to be a meta-realm (like Time or Scene), while decoupling the items it affects into Actor/Nature/Prop. One thing I noticed in games is Fae tends to be "the best realm" or "buffs-only", depending on how Dreaming-heavy the game runs.
                  Last edited by MagicJuggler; 03-15-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I am not sure if the Changeling lore (mechanics are different of course) supports "creating new Arts," so much as it would finding new applications for preexisting ones.

The other thing about Cantrips is that they are explicitly targeted. "I want to affect THAT!" With Unleashing, I could see certain effects becoming "reflexive" so to speak. E.x. rather than "Legerdemain 1: Ensnare," you could Unleash Legerdemain to create a "zone of Ensnaring" so to speak.

The other thing I want to test when I start a game up, is I rewrote the Fae Realm to be a meta-realm (like Time or Scene), while decoupling the items it affects into Actor/Nature/Prop. One thing I noticed in games is Fae tends to be "the best realm" or "buffs-only", depending on how Dreaming-heavy the game runs.

You can already do zone of Ensnaring that's what Scene is for? There's probably more than 5 Target applications of "Summer" than what is given that's what i mean adding new techniques. I mean skycraft doesn't make sense without it changing relatively modernly.

Comment

Scene is oddly semantic, in that it says "you may select multiple targets in an area," but not that you "target the area."
                      For example, you could use Ensnare with Fae and Scene to attempt to cast an Ensnare effect on all Changelings within the designated area.
                      But you can't, for example, create a "zone" where people or objects enter it experience Ensnare until they exit it, due to the fact that you have discrete targets which must be declared up-front.

I also imagine there are certain things that Realms just cannot directly target. Abstract concepts, emotions, insurance policies, a virtual cloud...and dealing with such items where the Realm system "breaks down" is where Unleashing makes more sense in theory.
                      Last edited by MagicJuggler; 03-16-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Scene is oddly semantic, in that it says "you may select multiple targets in an area," but not that you "target the area."
                        For example, you could use Ensnare with Fae and Scene to attempt to cast an Ensnare effect on all Changelings within the designated area.
                        But you can't, for example, create a "zone" where people or objects enter it experience Ensnare until they exit it, due to the fact that you have discrete targets which must be declared up-front.

I also imagine there are certain things that Realms just cannot directly target. Abstract concepts, emotions, insurance policies, a virtual cloud...and dealing with such items where the Realm system "breaks down" is where Unleashing makes more sense in theory.

But there are effects that do work like that. For example guest list or fairy circle as for effecting more abstract things that does seem ot be an idea a custom realm might cover..

Comment

Guest List is basically a more aggressive form of Veiled Eyes. You target the object itself that you are protecting, but it's not actually an Aura.

Fairy Aura is closer to an aura in that regard.

I am going to be updating my Arts houserules for certain odd scenarios.

Comment

Guest List is basically a more aggressive form of Veiled Eyes. You target the object itself that you are protecting, but it's not actually an Aura.

Fairy Aura is closer to an aura in that regard.

I am going to be updating my Arts houserules for certain odd scenarios.

I feel like ensnaring aura would be a metamechanic... there should be some custom realm for it.

Unleashing is more like turning someone to stone with Metamorphosis... or turning straw into gold... something that feels like it was left out?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

That's interesting. I have a Lilinot with Living Legend Circe as an npc in my game unique realms would be interesting...

Working on a Nymph book for the Vault, and Circe is going to be the movers and shakers of nymph society.

She claims to have invented magic Arts, Realms, or otherwise. Her level of Audience lets her target anyone who has ever heard of her, which considering her role in mythology is kinda scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X