Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Arts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Audience sounds like a "superRealm" that is merging Actor/Fae/Scene while ignoring the restrictions on Blind Aiming. What would make a player choose another Realm over Audience?

    For Lian, this was my initial pitch to make Fae a metarealm:
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...modifier-realm

    This would essentially serve as "miscellaneous modifiers" for the assorted edgecases of Cantrips. The first level would be to "cap" the maximum number of successes you want on a given Cantrip (aka, "Hopscotch to the next building, not 20 buildings over"), the third would allow "one degree of separation" Realm targeting, 4 would let multiple Changelings piggyback their Cantrips off the same Bunk, while the 5th one would let you "extend" the casting roll akin to a Ritual.

    I may tweak the realm a little more. The second level is sort of a kludge/combo, and I am not quite sure about the "piggybacking off a Bunk" idea for level four anyway. What I may instead do is just make so that "level two" simply lets you handle "Ambiguous" Targets (e.x. is a vat-grown cyborg a Prop or an Actor?), while Level 4 lets you affect Powers based on the Realms they would have required.
    Last edited by MagicJuggler; 03-19-2020, 10:26 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      I was thinking a Realm of "Dream" or thought, it covers allowing people to mess with ideas directly, emotions, Chimera, Spirits and powers.

      Comment


      • #18
        Personally, I am a fan of avoiding "repeat Realms" moreso that "repeat Arts," especially since for each new Realm, you have to look at every Art and how they would interact with that Realm. With Dream as a Realm, the idea of manipulating emotions tends to be covered by assorted Arts already, while manipulating dreams themselves is what Oneiromancy is for. Manipulating Chimera, Spirits, and Powers falls under the domain of Fae ranks 3/4/5, respectively.

        The reason I went for "Fae as a Modifier Realm" is the idea that in its current form, it leads to the distinction of "Actor versus Fae" for human versus Chimerical Human, "Prop versus Fae" for item versus Chimerical Item, "Nature vs Fae" for animals versus Chimerical animals...and depending on the kind of game your Storyteller runs, Fae either becomes "the one Realm" or a Realm that is essentially limited to buffing yourself or your motley. By converting Fae into a meta-realm, it no longer is a "campaign-dependent" Realm, but one that allows additional options.

        My "level three" Fae Realm option is where things get interesting though. Essentially, rather than having to choose an explicit target, you select a broad 'relative group' (Enemies, Coins, Fair Maidens, etc) 'realm' to support Fae 3, and choose a qualifier to single a target from that group (multiple targets, if combined with Scene). This is what would allow you to, assuming you knew of them beforehand, Tattletale "Show me the fairest of them all." Combined with Time 3, however, Fae 3 lets you instead modify Time 3 to allow the Cantrip to target "the entity that activated Fateful Trigger," allowing for temporary items such as healing potions, wards, etc.

        Comment


        • #19
          Yes I'm considering a replacement for Fae given what we have. Actor can cover 1,2,4. Prop can cover aspects of 5. What Fae still covers alone is: Targetting powers and debatably targeting spirits and Chimera. though those could be taken by other things. Given how many arts can be summed up as "Do damage to a target" I don't think having the ability to both steal love and make someone feel love would be problematically overlapping.

          Comment


          • #20
            I'm not familiar enough with the existing Arts right now to know how to do this; but I'd like to see a pair of Arts that approach the elements of Earth and Water the way Pyretics and Skycraft approach Fire and Air, respectively. And I'd like to see the Inanimae Slivers receive a proper C20 update, complete with five ranks of Cantrips for each.


            Comment


            • #21
              A long time ago, I had started hacking the Arts to be more flexible.

              E.g., Quicksilver could be used to increase the speed of a bullet or a train, or even a computer. Fugue could remove a human's memory or wipe a disk drive. Ward could make laptops uncrackable. Actor + Pyretics could make hallucinatory fire in a person's mind, while Nature + Pyretics could make actual fire and Fae + Pyretics could make chimerical fire (the distinction between mere hallucination and chimerical reality was like the difference between the Mind and Spirit Spheres).

              So the Realms were not just what or who you targeted but also what you could control. The Arts were a bit more loopy as a result.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                A long time ago, I had started hacking the Arts to be more flexible.

                E.g., Quicksilver could be used to increase the speed of a bullet or a train, or even a computer. Fugue could remove a human's memory or wipe a disk drive. Ward could make laptops uncrackable. Actor + Pyretics could make hallucinatory fire in a person's mind, while Nature + Pyretics could make actual fire and Fae + Pyretics could make chimerical fire (the distinction between mere hallucination and chimerical reality was like the difference between the Mind and Spirit Spheres).

                So the Realms were not just what or who you targeted but also what you could control. The Arts were a bit more loopy as a result.
                I always liked it when things worked this way, and they tried to do it when they could with C20, but other times they dialed it back for clarity of purpose, like the Primal Whisper power now using realm to affect the type of question rather then what you question.


                It is a time for great deeds!

                Comment


                • #23
                  I've been thinking about including some Exalted References in my plot with the idea of using hte Grace trees as art bases(the Art of cups. The art of coins etc.) but I am not sure how to do o that...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Lian View Post
                    I've been thinking about including some Exalted References in my plot with the idea of using hte Grace trees as art bases(the Art of cups. The art of coins etc.) but I am not sure how to do o that...
                    The Raksha in Exalted Very Much seem to fit as a prehistoric roots of the Hsien as well as the Fae. The Hsien seem to be descended of Raksha that bent the knee to Heaven, while the Tuatha seem to be Raksha that were their own authority and the Fomorians were just the old school Raksha that raided the lands of humanity.

                    But I thought Graces could have made an interesting option for Realm replacement rather then Art replacement. But I can see them being Arts as well. I was thinking of such lines to draw for the Arch Arts, or Dominions as I would have called them.


                    It is a time for great deeds!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

                      The Raksha in Exalted Very Much seem to fit as a prehistoric roots of the Hsien as well as the Fae. The Hsien seem to be descended of Raksha that bent the knee to Heaven, while the Tuatha seem to be Raksha that were their own authority and the Fomorians were just the old school Raksha that raided the lands of humanity.

                      But I thought Graces could have made an interesting option for Realm replacement rather then Art replacement. But I can see them being Arts as well. I was thinking of such lines to draw for the Arch Arts, or Dominions as I would have called them.

                      My sort of meta theory of the Tuatha is they were the Fae who took "God" forms after being "HEY THE UNCONQUERED SUN IS FUCKING AWESOME" They also sort of Represent broadly the God stage to use a Scion example while the Formorians are Titans.

                      It is true the graces cover both things and targets. Sword is war and convictions... But I feel like the ability to Eat a dog's convictions or an enemies or a spell's is more under arts than realms.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        For a recent game i introduced a custom art, inspired in Dreamcraft.

                        And I've been toying with the idea of "Spirit Link" as a Realm, rather than an Art...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Luisarmander View Post
                          For a recent game i introduced a custom art, inspired in Dreamcraft.

                          And I've been toying with the idea of "Spirit Link" as a Realm, rather than an Art...

                          what would it do as a realm?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It would let you use Arts on spirits, of course. (Basically, a variant on Actor.) The real question is how you'd set up five categories of spirits, one for each dot in the Realm. I could get three dots worth through “spirits of the Lower Umbra, spirits of the Middle Umbra, and spirits of the Higher Umbra”, and maybe a fourth dot by saying that demonic entities are a separate class from ghosts, nature spirits, and Astral spirits; but that would still leave the fifth dot, plus some questions about what order to put them in.


                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              It would let you use Arts on spirits, of course. (Basically, a variant on Actor.) The real question is how you'd set up five categories of spirits, one for each dot in the Realm. I could get three dots worth through “spirits of the Lower Umbra, spirits of the Middle Umbra, and spirits of the Higher Umbra”, and maybe a fourth dot by saying that demonic entities are a separate class from ghosts, nature spirits, and Astral spirits; but that would still leave the fifth dot, plus some questions about what order to put them in.

                              That seems to be the air breathing mermaid problem... you've both created a problem that doesn't exist(Fae explicitly covers spirits) and created a more complex solution

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Lian View Post


                                That seems to be the air breathing mermaid problem... you've both created a problem that doesn't exist(Fae explicitly covers spirits) and created a more complex solution
                                Wait I thought actor covers most non Chimera spirits? I remember some older books referencing Fae as covering spirits, frankly I would have liked to have made Fae represent a broader supernatural world anyways.


                                It is a time for great deeds!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X