Do Prodigals have Fae Meins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Prodigals have Fae Meins?

In the Changeling books I have, I can't seem to find the answer to this. Basically, my question is, do Prodigals look different in the Dreaming than in the physical world? I like the idea of Changelings being able to tell if someone is a Prodigal (or at least non-human) at a glance, but I'm struggling to figure out how to describe that.

Dante “Owns-All-the-Books” Laughing-Coyote
    Werewolf (and Human) Reference Excel Spreadsheet

Officially? No, they don't. But if you want to change that, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Officially? No, they don't. But if you want to change that, go for it!
      I think I am going to. How do you think that Garou would appear to them? I am conflicted on this. I am torn between always Crinos form, very angry furries, or very angry monster-girls (and boys). The latter two amuse me. It's the shifting and the primal nature that I get stuck on, and I am super new to the Changeling point of view (I wish I'd read this game 20 years ago.)

Dante “Owns-All-the-Books” Laughing-Coyote
      Werewolf (and Human) Reference Excel Spreadsheet

Comment

A Garou in any of the hybrid forms should appear the same either way. A Garou in either of the forms that could be mistaken for “not a werewolf” (i.e., Homid or Lupus) should look like the next step in (i.e., Glabro or Hispo), but toned down: they have the same mass as the Homid or Lupus forms, but (e.g.) the Homid Mien still gets the thickened and sharpened teeth and nails, more hair, sloped brow, etc. Lupus vs. Hispo is a little harder to establish, since the primary difference between them according to WtA is mass.

Comment

Officially? No, however Garou for example have Rage which has effects on the Mortal flesh and mind (in the revised ST guide for Werewolf and similar notes for Changeling 2e a Changeling is affected by the Delirium unless they call upon the Wyrd)

Comment

Kyasyd do. I'd make an argument for Ravnos and potentially Malkavians, anyone with fairy affinity, or other "hybrid" splats like Munchmausen, Ceilican, Fianna....

Comment

As most people have said, for multi-splat style settings like canon would suggest, the answer would be no.

However... if one were to take the Chronicles approach and treat their chronicles splat, in this case Changeling the Dreaming, as the authority, we do see interesting ideas arise about how one might treat the Prodigals within a Changeling-centric cosmology.

Perhaps Vampires, like River Hags, truly are fae of the winter, dark dreams that stepped into the lighter dreams and glamour that the Tuatha brought about when defeating the Formorians. Perhaps then these vampires truly are descendants of the Elder Dark, a fomorian or tuatha called 'Lilith' who taught her children how to draw upon the glamour that is intrinsic to humanity through blood. Thus the vampires today are different strains who feed through different invoked passions. The beautiful who feed from love and lust, the rebellious who feed from anger and frustration, the horrific who feed from fear and disgust, and so on. While they might walk amongst humanity as simply odd-looking and pale, changelings see their pointed teeth and ears and the bloodthirsty eyes and know what they really are.

Perhaps the Pooka are correct, that in the beginning they had cousins who were born from similar yet distinct dreams as the Pooka. Pooka, Satyrs, & Selkie can all claim partial kinship to the changing people, although none are entirely accurate. These people dreamed to live like animals and so they did. They dreamed themselves as wolves, tigers, bears, and birds. They still exist to this day, practicing secret rituals and ways to tap into the primal human dream, to live as the beasts do with the minds of men. Still, while they seem normal to outsiders, changelings see the feral features and bestial signs that mark those of the changing dream.

Just a few ideas there so as not to go on for too long, this topic inspired me though and I figured I'd flesh out my thoughts a bit, hope folks liked them and that they were helpful! : D

Comment

I've also considered looking at Hunter: the Reckoning, and the Imbued ability to recognize monsters.

Comment

Working...
                X