Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinain societies

Hello, this is my first post here.

Recently I created some kinain societies (yes, kinain, not kithain). Since it's thing of such minor importance Im was not sure if it was worth posting it somewhere, but some of you might find it interesting or use it as hook in some chronicles. I personally really enjoy the "lesser" beings of WoD, such as kinain, ghouls, kinfolk, etc.

(I belive the text will be easy to understand, but if there is some weird sentences or expression, it's because Im not used to write such long texts in eglish, so I hope everything is okayish)

I'd love any feedback!

Followers of Gundahar
    “We are very much like the sidhe, except we are not noble, beautiful or powerful like them, we only share their cruel destiny. And even so commoner tell tales about how the sidhe might reincarnate as one of them, but what of us? Why can changelings spin around in the eternal dance of the dreaming, living a thousand different lives while we disappear like pieces of a broken dream, forgotten by the morning? How is it fair?”

Kinains sometimes feel lesser, even the ones with the most loving parents. They are not as powerful, not as beautiful and not as fearsome as changelings. They get sad because they know they are just ephemeral beings. This sadness is often shared with their parents and close friends. What of the kinains souls? Many parents tell stories of hope, in the dreaming anything is possible, you just have to believe. But there is still no answer, no solution, only words. The dread of a finite existence makes some kinains go to great lengths to search for a way to become changelings, to have an eternal soul. Most of them become followers of Gundahar. According to the legend, he was a kinain killed by a cruel sidhe, he returned to life as Keremet, a ghost of glamour searching for vengeance. For many changelings this is a story of woe, of an innocent soul turning into something terrible, but for desperate kinains it’s a legend of hope. The followers search for ways to become changelings, the “keremet method” is the final one, only the most desperate try. They search for treasures, art or chimeras that can make them turn into a full changeling. Some make expeditions into the far dreaming, never to be seen again, others try to perfect the method to become a Keremet, there a belief being killed by something full of glamour helps, a powerful treasure, a chimera, a changeling calling the wyrd. Allegedly some of the members have become Keremets, but they do not turn back to help their former friends, instead parting away to some sinister purpose. Still, the despaired fellowship continues to attract new kinains. Many believe the sect secretly is a tool of the shadow court.

Children of humanity

“Have you ever noticed how people sing in large groups? No, I'm not talking about a choir, it’s when there are more people singing than you can count, people who never trained for it. Have you noticed how they sound? It’s the same tone for rock concerts and religious hymns alike. All of them singing in harmony, people who never met before, all of them singing like a single entity. In those moments I like to think we can hear the voice of humanity.”

Of all the houses the Liam are the most receptive of kinain since they can offer a singular view of the human and kithain society. The children of humanity were formed by kinains that gathered around the liams, they were infatuated by the idea that they are special, not lesser. The liams teached how humanity is something special, and how kinains are even more unique, being humans with faerie blood, the ones who can truly comprehend the untapped potential of humanity and its power to shape the dream and reality. The childrens have the sole mission of protecting humanity and it’s gift to the world. Their modus operandi vary from member to member, some become staunch defenders of humanity's greatest virtues, freedom, art and justice, they become volunteers, revolutionaries, diplomats, doctors, lawyers and many other things while trying to bring a change into the world. Some of them even become hunters, keeping in line changelings and others supernatural creatures that prey on humanity and strip it of its potential. Many mistreated enchanted humans were rescued from cruel masters by such hunters.
    They care little for court politics but nourish a special hate for the unseelie for what they do to humans, stripping them of glamour, killing ideas and inspirations before they can bear fruit. They don’t see changelings as enemies, but believe most are ignorant of humanity's true meaning for the dreaming, so they are wary of unknown changelings, specially those who think kinain must be servants. The children are mostly kinains, but accept the membership of liam knights who sworn a special geas, they have no formal leadership only loose councils.

Jefferson institute for extraordinary students
    “Don’t fear, your son is in good hands, we strive for excellence, but we never forgot our true purpose: To care for the ones who need it most. With luck and effort he might become the king’s advisor, a world famous singer, or anything he wants, really.”

Astris was an arcandian sidhe who earned the title of baron during the accordance war. In his last battle one of his close friends died in his arms, in his last breath he asked astris to take care of his newborn son, a kinain. Astris took care of the kid, gave him a roof, food and everything he needed, but neglected the most important aspect of his life, his emotions. The kinain was treated as a messenger and asked to do menial tasks while the changelings sat around talking, singing and laughing. Eventually the kinain grew resentful of this, especially when it became hard to reconcile his banal job and his services to the freehold, he eventually abandoned the fae world altogether and soon after the banality tainted him, making him forget his true nature. Surprised and guilty the baron realized he had just alienated the person he was supposed to look after. Regretful Astris made a vow, he would devote the rest of his life to help other kinain. He made a school for extraordinary children, most of which were humans, but offered scholarships to kinains on the guise of some incentive program. There they received broad education not only into banal affairs but also in the changeling world. After their education Astris helped them find their place in society be it fae or mortal. Some of his first protegee went on to become stewards to powerful nobles, dukes and even kings, while others become famous real world artists, politicians and scholars. Soon kinains from all concordia were sent there as if it was a boarding school, his students were known to be more powerful and savvy than other kinains, nowadays any noble of respect must have one of those kinains to advice and deal with the banal world issues. After Astris death his students decided to keep his work and made a much bigger institute named in honor of the original kinain he failed to help. Now the institute is a much powerful organization both in the real world and concordia. They receive kinains from all over the world, teaching arts, lore, court politics along with formal education. The institute is probably the most well organized kinain society and also contains the most members, former students form tight knit groups and share information, as of recently some changeling even began noticing the society is making their own moves into court politics, and argue that some of the students are actually spies.

Cryptozoologists

“My friends are made of pure glamour, with no shred of human selfishness”

Not all kinains have positive experiences with the fae world, some are mistreated orphans, others are neglected by their parents, this is especially true for the kinains born of the thallain, but in no way limited to them, some changelings are specially awful to their children and kinains in general. A lot of times the only friends such kinains have are chimerical companions, they act as pets, guardians and teachers, often these chimera are also looked down upon by their masters, sometimes they might even be wild or spontaneous creations of the kinain emotions, like imaginary friends. It’s no mystery how such kinains are attracted to one another, finding solace in the company of someone who understands their troubles. From such friendships the cryptozoologists arose, they are a loose group of kinains that were neglected or abused and found friendship in chimeras. They can be considered chimera enthusiasts, traveling the real world searching for wild or lost chimeras to befriend or rescue. They respect chimera as the only pure beings in the dreaming and will not chain chimeras against their will, whenever possible they help chimeras who want to return to the dreaming. Although their objective is only to find new friends and help chimera, as a result of their acts the cryptozoologists amassed a significant menagerie of creatures. They often form sanctuaries on the very few enchanted groves or abandoned freehold that changelings are not aware of. There is a rumor that recently a powerful chimera has taken the role of the group guardian and leader.

Last edited by Rucun; 03-08-2020, 04:10 PM.

These all look pretty interesting, thank you for sharing these! They've all for interesting flavors of their own and I imagine could be very effective in appropriate stories.

I've always thought that more attention could be given to kinain & enchanted and what their own sub-cultures might be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
      These all look pretty interesting, thank you for sharing these! They've all for interesting flavors of their own and I imagine could be very effective in appropriate stories.

I've always thought that more attention could be given to kinain & enchanted and what their own sub-cultures might be like.

Thanks! I enjoyed writing this. I will probably use it in a chronicle, I hope someone else can use it too.

Comment

I love these! You did so much with just a short bit of info on each, these are all ready to insert into a game as is.

The Followers of Gundahar feel like something we should have had for a while, the other splats had groups similar to them like the envious and sinister Skin Dansers, to the pragmatic rogue ghouls. Changelings more then all other supernaturals except maybe Mages feel like the group one would like to become one of if born into their society. I already had ideas of using Changelings like those in Changeling the Lost as mortals who became Changeling, maybe as Fetches or the Tithed, and this group naturally would fit well into investigating that option.

I mentioned before in old threads I wish they gave us things Like Faery Families for Kinain to be apart of like minded group.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

This is really cool. Thanks.

Rain On Me... Lady Gaga (I went to the same academic summer camp she did) and Ariana Grande. This song actually works really well with the World of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            I love these! You did so much with just a short bit of info on each, these are all ready to insert into a game as is.

The Followers of Gundahar feel like something we should have had for a while, the other splats had groups similar to them like the envious and sinister Skin Dansers, to the pragmatic rogue ghouls. Changelings more then all other supernaturals except maybe Mages feel like the group one would like to become one of if born into their society. I already had ideas of using Changelings like those in Changeling the Lost as mortals who became Changeling, maybe as Fetches or the Tithed, and this group naturally would fit well into investigating that option.

I mentioned before in old threads I wish they gave us things Like Faery Families for Kinain to be apart of like minded group.

Hey, thanks, I tried to make a group for each of the essential themes od a kinain life, coming to terms with its own mortality while seeing others with imortal souls; embracing your human side but with a changeling vision; trying to find a purpose inside the kithain courts and being neglected by the kithain parents, etc.

Maybe some others societies could also be explored. I even wondered if it was worth making a fan book about kinains and enchanted, with better rules, societies, maybe a new art. Actually after reading a lof of material of other game lines, especially sorcerer (not the revised edition) I think the enchanted could become much more interesting altogether. There are already hedge magic that allows one influence dreams, and skills that allows one to have lucid dreams. In changeling one of the main themes is how humans shape the dreaming with their thoughts, so I was thinking about the possibility "what if a true dreamer becomes enchanted?" Maybe enchanted in general could be much more powerful, but in ways very different from the changelings, breaking and modeling the dreaming and glamour. This could play a interesting part in themes such a the unseelie and how in the past faes used to treat humans really bad. What if there was a reason? What if some enchanted were really dangerous? I can almost envision a scenario where changeling act in harmony with the dreaming and powerful enchanted use harsh powers that disturb the dreaming, just like human civilization create wonders but at the price of destroying nature. Maybe that is why humans were porrly treated and the unseelie see no problem in stripping every potential dreamer of it's glamour.

Comment

This is legit good work. If you flesh these ideas out with details, this would be an amazing Storyteller's Vault book.

Comment

Working...
              X