Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If new kiths came to be, couldn't they be... Aliens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If new kiths came to be, couldn't they be... Aliens?

CTD has a lot of myths regarding creation. In some ways fae are like this because they were created like this by the Tuatha de Dannan or the formorians. But The books also play with the idea that human imagination shape the dreaming and it's contents, even the kiths(like the clurichaun)

We know (or at least it's hinted) that no new fae souls are actually created, no new changelings, no new kiths, the exception being the wolpertinger, that were made into changelings after some great sacrifice. But If humanity were to enter a new big era of glamour, where new faerie souls are created, isn't there a big chance they might born of the alien folklore?

Because Aliens, reptilians, greys, nordics, etc are the purest and most genuine form of folklore we have nowadays. Many people belive in them exactly like humanity used to belive faeries, the belief in them is strong and widespread. There also others, who are not extraterrestrial, like slenderman, modern ghost tales, etc. Bit I'd like to focus on the classical aliens here for a moment.

Many of the known alien myths could be great kiths, full of lore. If you find the idea weird, just don't take it literally. Sluaghs in the game are very different from monstrous toads, and pookas are not a single type of furry creature. The same could be done with alien kiths. They don't need to belive or actually come from another planets, but they could come from another, very weird part of the dreaming ( I will talk more about this later)

Reptilian kith wouldn't need to be actually reptilian nor come from mars. They might just be monstruous looking. And their birthright could be the many skins they can use to pass as humans (Just like skinchangers do with animals). Key concepts can be mantained. they want to manipulate everything from the shadows, even the seelie and unseelie courts.

Meanwhile Grays could be the "little ones", A mix of Nockers and Goblins, they meddle with technology, and instead of making the changeling way with humans they actually build a artificial Husk just like the inanimae do.

Nordic aliens could be the new shining host, with burning auras and beatiful appearances, never truly inhabiting a human body, but posessing them temporaly just like the deniziens/dark-kin do. Their objetive is to make humanity ascend.

There are many other alien myths that could be turned into interesting kiths.

Other things that Im interested when thinking about the alien theme CTD: We tend to think of the dreaming as a mysterious, almost infinite place, but still earth bound, with ocean, scenery, etc. But if the there are some parts of the dreaming where everything just ends into a abyss of darkness and stars? And you need a magical ship (that looks like a actual ship, or a spaceship) to explore, just like in space, this is where the new kiths would come from. I mean, when we think of a infinite place full of wonders and endless possibilities, many of us think about the universe. So it could be very fitting that the dreaming is the space, the inner space inside our minds, of endless possibilities, where all of our dreams can be true. The part of the dreaming we already know is like earth, full of wonders and possibilities in it's own merit, but the dreaming might be too vast, bigger than even the most powerful sidhe belived.

Maybe just like lycians they can just show up one day, worrying both nobles and commoners, sometimes fighting, sometimes allying with them.
    Last edited by Rucun; 05-31-2020, 08:52 PM.

To answer your first question, it certainly could! In fact, a recent product on the STVault, 'Countless Dreams' was basically made with that exact purpose and is pretty cool!

Disclaimer: #nonspon #not-involved

That said, I agree that the kiths of The Dreaming and even more so with Chimera are full of opportunity for anything, including aliens. Even if one is hesitant about creating new kiths, although the Resurgence & Glimmerings provide plenty of opportunities imo, you're realm of possibility for chimera is nigh infinite.

I'd agree that aliens and urban legends as the folklore of the modern west are ripe for generating chimera and potentially even kiths as well. I also agree that the infinity of space is ripe both for generating glamour & nightmare as well as exploring those possibilities via the domains of The Dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryffon15 View Post
      To answer your first question, it certainly could! In fact, a recent product on the STVault, 'Countless Dreams' was basically made with that exact purpose and is pretty cool!

Disclaimer: #nonspon #not-involved

That said, I agree that the kiths of The Dreaming and even more so with Chimera are full of opportunity for anything, including aliens. Even if one is hesitant about creating new kiths, although the Resurgence & Glimmerings provide plenty of opportunities imo, you're realm of possibility for chimera is nigh infinite.

I'd agree that aliens and urban legends as the folklore of the modern west are ripe for generating chimera and potentially even kiths as well. I also agree that the infinity of space is ripe both for generating glamour & nightmare as well as exploring those possibilities via the domains of The Dreaming.
      Damm! I didn't knew that! Im very interested in reading this now. I Will probably buy it, actually I would have bought already if we were not in a pandemic (Every dollar being like a ton of money in my currency right now) But I will surely buy it eventually, Im really excited this idea was explored somehow.

Comment

I made a thread about it.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ess-dreams-pdf

Also Mythadvocate and myself have had a lot of ideas discussing Changelings and Aliens and space. I’ll post the links when I find em.

But I’ve been a huge fan of it and I really want more on Inanimae from beyond the Terrestrial sphere!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

There's plenty of ways to read them as new kiths and those are good ideas in and of themselves. But I'm going to be a bit contrarian and offer aliens as just a new lens to see the dreaming.

Nords are not a New Race the are Sidhe plain and simple. Perhaps a banner house that's decided to update for the times.

The Greys-Nockers do scratch that itch don't they? Though I'd argue Ghasts also touch there pretty solidly especially with their propensity to create missing time and their skills at Surgery.

Reptoids-this is just seeming... they don't need to shapeshift. They can exist in plain sight their "shapeshifting" to control the masses being their human guise.. their true form being their fairy Mein...Why if you tie them to the Dragonkin from Kiths of Arcadia you play into the interpretation I've found fun with Reptoids as the inheritors of the dinosaurs..

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
            There's plenty of ways to read them as new kiths and those are good ideas in and of themselves. But I'm going to be a bit contrarian and offer aliens as just a new lens to see the dreaming.

Nords are not a New Race the are Sidhe plain and simple. Perhaps a banner house that's decided to update for the times.

The Greys-Nockers do scratch that itch don't they? Though I'd argue Ghasts also touch there pretty solidly especially with their propensity to create missing time and their skills at Surgery.

Reptoids-this is just seeming... they don't need to shapeshift. They can exist in plain sight their "shapeshifting" to control the masses being their human guise.. their true form being their fairy Mein...Why if you tie them to the Dragonkin from Kiths of Arcadia you play into the interpretation I've found fun with Reptoids as the inheritors of the dinosaurs..

Actually the idea that nords are sidhe is more interesting indeed, actually many other kiths could try to pass as aliens/new age stuff to make mortals belive in them in a more acceptable light.

BTW I could totally see a liam impersonating a nord. It seems like something the house would try. They are very connected to human culture and interested in humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rucun View Post

Actually the idea that nords are sidhe is more interesting indeed, actually many other kiths could try to pass as aliens/new age stuff to make mortals belive in them in a more acceptable light.

BTW I could totally see a liam impersonating a nord. It seems like something the house would try. They are very connected to human culture and interested in humanity.

Changelings could just as readily buy into stuff. A sidhe saying "No I am a Nord, you're all just wrong.." would be an interesting way to shake thing sup.

Comment

Working...
              X