So Merfolk Houses are a thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Merfolk Houses are a thing

So in my setting I include Merfolk Houses. And Merfolk are like the Sidhe of their Territory. I’m debating if I should make them have like two major Kingdoms of Like the Empire of Atlantis and the Empire of Avaiki (for the Underworld which the Merfolk Allfather Vaiki live). I’m thinking they view the Pacific maybe as the shallow depths and the deeper depths of Avaiki is the Dreaming proper. Or maybe I would just divide it into a Seven Seas type of separation.

But in my Headcanon the Merfolk houses have the Merfolk as the Nobles and aquatic Fae like Pooka, Morganed, Selkies, Triton and even some Aquatic Dragonkin join. They also have extended citizenship to some Menehune and coastal Kithain and Oceanic Inanimae. This means Sidhe and Oba could convert to Merfolk Houses.

With the Merrow I am thinking why not have them have a House Dagon, House Qyrl, and House Murduacha, with some Joining House Balor which has its HQ underwater. Their Nobles are Merrow, Sidhe, and Sevartal and they also have Beasties and unseelie Kithain and Kelpies in their Household.

The Merfolk Houses got cut for space but the setting is lessened without them. I really feel opening up their territory and Kingdoms does a lot to enrich the game. And they would be in a unique situation since they are all essentially Autumn esque since they reincarnate, but it seems they are written as if they always breed true and have Changeling Children. But we also have Merfolk milk which allows their children to survive the ocean till they become Merfolk. They have entire cities underwater though? So what if we introduced the concept of Kinain to them? So let’s say they are potent enough to always sire Kinain if the children doesn’t become Mer. This makes it more feasible for them to have entire Kingdoms which will be filled with not just Nobles but Kinain, Inanimae, Chimera, and commoner Kiths. Though they would still secretly comprise a huge amount of the Worlds Nobles. And they would have probably a larger percentage of their Changelings Nobles, I still want to make it a little less then Half. That has some interesting dynamics when Nobles aren’t a small portion of the community, it makes things like inequality more noticeable, making more of a privileged class of “Sea Founders”.

Thoughts or do folks not like using Merfolk because they feel they are too distant.

What about Merfolk Joining the Concordia Houses?

It is a time for great deeds!

I think Merfolk Houses are a great idea. I think the Merfolk Seamother is female and her name is Vatea, but I’m not 100% sure. Other than that, sounds awesome.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
      I think Merfolk Houses are a great idea. I think the Merfolk Seamother is female and her name is Vatea, but I’m not 100% sure. Other than that, sounds awesome.
      The Merfolk worship the Fish Father of Gods and Mankind Vatea based off the mythology of the island of Mangaia. But they point out the Rokea worship Vatea as Kun the Mother of Fishes.

It seems to me also a lot of the Merfolk trappings come from Fresh Water Mythic Beings like Syrinx and Lorelei and Apsara forms, which makes me believe the Sundering caused a lot of Fresh Water Fae to take refuge and become reborn as Merfolk.

I also love the idea that the Merfolk could have secret islands hidden from Humanity that are essentially homes for their non gilled and amphibious citizens.

Comment

Okay

I like the second paragraph from a cosmology standpoint. The Lorelei were the Sirens of the Rhine River and were much more overtly sexual than the Greek Sirens. Also, Melusine, the Toreador chick who was Mithras’s girlfriend (I think) in V:tDA, is named for a mermaid from the French province of Lusignan.

The third paragraph is pretty cool too.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Cause of all the supernatural beings Fae would have the easiest time creating and hiding an island risen from
          The ocean. For Mages it’s an ordeal that even Archmages would be annoyed by, but Changelings can just do a series of unleashings, and their magic is already geared towards hiding their sacred places. Werewolf’s even imply they learned their special hide Caerns from humans rituals from the Fae.

Comment

Also it feels like the Menehune should have at least one Noble House, same with the Oba who should have multiple Noble Houses, but not as many as the Sidhe. And since the Eshu seemed to have grown to include India as part of their homeland for some reason (my guess is early travels rooted their dream there right before they officially joined with the rest of the Kithain) does that mean the Oba are also there or are they mostly in Africa.

But the Menehune I feel could have used a different Thallain, like the Paupueo the Owls who hunted the Menehune could have been their natural Thallain. They could have had their own Adhene of the Nawao, kind of like their equivalent of the Firbholg, a people before Menehune and Mankind came to the Islands.

But I think the Menehune could have shared something like House Lua'nu'u, House Maui, and House Pele (or instead House Laka after the sister of the founder Menehune and daughter of Pele). I could see them sharing Houses with the Maori Fair Folk. As well as some choosing to join one of the Merfolk Houses or House Danu, as House Danu seemed originally to be a Pan Arcadian/Fae Great House and might represent something like a House Pele to them. Similarly Maybe Merfolk have also joined House Danu and to them it represents Vatea.

Comment

Maybe the Eshu have India as one of their homelands because their Kinain include the Romani as well as the Yoruba?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                Maybe the Eshu have India as one of their homelands because their Kinain include the Romani as well as the Yoruba?
                See I was wondering about that, but that gets confusing because while the Romani originated from India they don't seem particularly culturally tied to there so many centuries afterwards. But that might be the actual reason. Another idea could be some Eshu Converted to Islam and from Islam spread to India and then joined the rest of the Kithain. Like the Satyr's probably started in Greece spread to Italy and North Africa but then spread throughout the West with Hellanism.

But then they don't seem to really acknowledge the early statements about the Eshu being tied to India very often, except the handful of Eshu that might have a name from the area, they usually tie them to Africa, the Middle East, or just the local Country they are residents of most of the time.

Comment

The Islam idea works too.

Comment

This made me remember how house balor thinks selkies are some distant cousins and of nobility too. (Well, selkies in fact even had a queen)

Comment

Originally posted by Rucun View Post
                      This made me remember how house balor thinks selkies are some distant cousins and of nobility too. (Well, selkies in fact even had a queen)
                      Yeah it was a hoot that house Balor recognizes it the most due to their descent from Balor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Yeah it was a hoot that house Balor recognizes it the most due to their descent from Balor.
                        I particularly liked the part about Merfolk and Selkies could gain Title in House Balor. Just straight up, swear the Oath, do the Fraility, congrats you are a Noble now, same rights as a Sidhe. Which is a big deal in such a racist House (commoners weren't allowed to get too many dots), though not sure if that is still a thing in C20
                        Combined with the fact that the Freehold that holds their (current) High Lord is underwater and in middle of the ocean (beyond the 9th wave), I like to imagine that Mer and Selkie Balorians were looking after it while the rest of the House was in Arcadia. The the Resurgence happened and the Arcadians attacked them because they didn't recognise them or they didn't care.

Yeah, my version of House Balor is a lot more involved in the oceans in WoD, just because they kept their best stuff there. )And they have lots of family there. And it let them mess with anyone travelling over the oceans.) Also on the verge of multiple coups, because a High Lord raised by BSDs is an awful idea and someone would notice that.

Meanwhile, multiple Mer Kingdoms sounds legit. Lots of space under the sea. I would stress that Atlantis and the like are probably in the Dreaming proper, but having a Kingdom co-opt the name because they found/own a Trod that let's them go there quickly is kind of awesome.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

I particularly liked the part about Merfolk and Selkies could gain Title in House Balor. Just straight up, swear the Oath, do the Fraility, congrats you are a Noble now, same rights as a Sidhe. Which is a big deal in such a racist House (commoners weren't allowed to get too many dots), though not sure if that is still a thing in C20
                          Combined with the fact that the Freehold that holds their (current) High Lord is underwater and in middle of the ocean (beyond the 9th wave), I like to imagine that Mer and Selkie Balorians were looking after it while the rest of the House was in Arcadia. The the Resurgence happened and the Arcadians attacked them because they didn't recognise them or they didn't care.

Yeah, my version of House Balor is a lot more involved in the oceans in WoD, just because they kept their best stuff there. )And they have lots of family there. And it let them mess with anyone travelling over the oceans.) Also on the verge of multiple coups, because a High Lord raised by BSDs is an awful idea and someone would notice that.

Meanwhile, multiple Mer Kingdoms sounds legit. Lots of space under the sea. I would stress that Atlantis and the like are probably in the Dreaming proper, but having a Kingdom co-opt the name because they found/own a Trod that let's them go there quickly is kind of awesome.
                          Oh that's an idea Atlantis as their equivalent of Arcadia. Or maybe have Atlantis on Earth and their Dreaming Home as Mu.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

I might be Wrong, but The High-lord Li-Tili is a kinda considered a rogue agent in his own house right now isn't it? His freehold is not a hub of power where every balor enters, but more akin to secluded place where he is hiding alone and avoiding contact with the rest of the house. Many balor fear he is bedlam and not sound of mind anymore. At least I've read it somewhere.

But I did a chronicle where they went to his underwater fortress to slay him, and there were several sekies and merfolk servants and nobles protecting him on top of the black spiral dancers. In fact, I considered that the freehold itself was not dry, but magixally flooded, so all battle had to take place underwater, selkies, merfolks and werewolfs had great advantages, meanwhile swinging a sword or trying to fire a pistol was almost impossible.

(BTW, players were not the main elite force doing the killing, but rather scouts to a group of legendary changelings, including Lady Sierra, and a homebrew queen of lancaster)

Comment

I've always thought there was a missed opportunity by not leaning into religious titles with the merfolk after all Seabishops are a mythological thing. I am not really sure how i'd make it work though.

Comment

Working...
                              X