It doesn't make sense the Governmental Body of House Concordia is Global

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't make sense the Governmental Body of House Concordia is Global

Wait I'm confused I thought the House of Concordia was for the Government of Concordia, so North and South American Changelings. But reading the Player's Guide it seems to imply its for all Changelings? It seems weird to have a Governing body for all Changelings rather then specifically the Territory of a single Nation. Concordia is essentially an Empire level nation, with High King being the equivalent of an Emperor, with multiple Kings vassaled to the Emperor. But it do
    esn't seem very feasible for House Concordia to cover all Kithain. On a Side Note I am totally going to make it that Concordia founded a House Concordia specifically for Entitled Commoners, it seems like a cool solution that would have came as a result of trying to assuage the bad blood from the Accordance War. Is there a specific reason why a House can't be Neutral, so not nominally Seelie or Unseelie. A unique situation like a House founded for Commoners rather then named after a specific founder could warrant it being Neither Seelie or Unseelie. The other Idea I can see is a set of Twin Houses like a House Concordia and House Discordia.

The Fact that they made it Global in the PG seems weird since they don't address the Language issues either, but that can easily be handled by Treasures or Enchantments to translate.

And I'm not the biggest fan of the over doing of the Dreaming being treated like some Omnipotent actor that makes decisions. Every now and then its cool, but now its doing things like freezing time so people can vote, and choosing representatives for people. That's the charm of politics, its up to the different Nations to decide how they choose their representatives.

I think I am going back to making this governmental Body only for the Empire of Concordia, which is mostly Murica. And other territories have their own governmental bodies, and some just have Autocrats and others are Republics.

Otherwise its kind of confusing which territories are involved? I mean its clearly based on Kithain Royal Houses/commoners. We don't have examples of other Nobles. It seems odd if you use Banner Houses or the Global Houses alternate rule that they would be chill with having Noble Houses from the other side of the Globe represent them.

It is a time for great deeds!

Uhmmm... I think that having the Concordian political bodies making pompose claims of ruling all the world just for some other Changelings "giving them the fin***", so to speak, can generate lots and lots of seeds for games... and would add to the chaotic undercurrents of the Dreaming...

"No, no, don't look any further, my profile is actually more handsome than me"

Comment

Originally posted by Alqamar Alaswad View Post
      Uhmmm... I think that having the Concordian political bodies making pompose claims of ruling all the world just for some other Changelings "giving them the fin***", so to speak, can generate lots and lots of seeds for games... and would add to the chaotic undercurrents of the Dreaming...
      Oh interesting so you think Concordia just claims to represent the Fae of the World, similar to say the Camarilla representing the Global Body of Cainites? So like they extend the offer and some Kingdoms tell them to take a hike and others might send diplomats not actually to represent them but maybe as spies or just incompetent scions whom they wish to be rid of?

Comment

Yes, I think that is way more interesting that having the Dreaming governed from the USA... (I mean, Concordia)... You know, that is something that has always irked me a little... a little... I guess that it comes with being an Old Worlder...

Comment

Was it like that in the older Editions? I always thought Concordia was always just supposed to be the Territory of America and the biggest battle ground of the Accordance War, but essentially each of the Kingdoms had their own theater of war for the Accordance War. That is why I was puzzled when I read the section in the C20 Players guide, I thought it was only going to be about the government of North America but then it talks about Worldwide stuff and I was confused. And I don't know if there were just crossed wires when writing it or I was the one who had my wires Crossed. I thought High King was essentially the equivalent of Emperor, so a High King would have Kings and Dukes as Direct Vassals, and not folks like the Tsar of the Empire of the Fire Bird, or the High King of Hibernia and other foreign nations.

Comment

I have always thought that the idea was that the High King truly believed he was the King of all the world, and every nation did whatever they wanted, but I don't know if this is headcanon or canon...

Comment

Originally posted by Alqamar Alaswad View Post
              I have always thought that the idea was that the High King truly believed he was the King of all the world, and every nation did whatever they wanted, but I don't know if this is headcanon or canon...
              See some of that made sense, with the things like Caliburn choosing him. But then they referenced High Kings in the Land of Ancient Dreams, and I think they had a Title of High King in Hibernia and the British Isles, but maybe they were talking about past high kings. Since The Kingdom of Apples seems to have taken some of the Mythic places from Ireland like Tara Nara and some of the places from Albion, like the Kingdom of Apples seeming to be a reincarnation of Avalon.

I need to sit down and read a some of preC20 books to see if it was spelled out more clearly.

Its kind of I guess like King Albrecht of the Silver Fangs being both the King of North America and House Wyrmfoe, but he also wears the Silver Crown and is kinda the King of the Silver Fangs and the Entire Garou Nation, but in actuality he can't order around the Tsarina of Russia because his Authority/Legitimacy isn't really at that level. They seemed to have this kind of relationship like when King David met with the Padishah Karim of the Empire of the Caucasus and Adopted him into House Gwydion he treated him like an equal. Though it feels like since they already were a territory with non Sidhe Nobility they should have had their own houses. They never really explained why Two Emperors had to be adopted into Great Houses in the last decade specifically.

Its also sometimes confusing because they have some Sidhe who are Kings of their Great Houses, but then they don't seem to always have the same level of power and Authority as members of their Great Houses who are just kings of specific Kingdoms. Like wasn't the King of House Varrich treated like a Sidhe that just lived in San Francisco rather then I don't know ruling his own Kingdom or being the Tsar of the Empire of the Firebird?

Comment

I never got this impression from the second edition. And frankly I find this plot kinda lame. Not only because it reeks of "USA! USA! USA!" chant but also because I find very interesting to explore how others changeling kingdoms are in terms of politics. With some claiming to be even more traditional, and others much more modern.

Comment

Exactly I don’t want all Fae to share one global government that is a thousand times more boring then Concordia is trying something new but things radically different from region to region.

Comment

I guess one of the most confusing things for me about Concordia ruling the world is they have a delineated territory. I mean aren’t all those who swear fealty you David in Concordian territory? Do any who swear fealty to Concordia, rather then the house of the high king, exist outside its bounds? Like any non Concordian Kings?

Comment

I always read 1e and 2e as assuming that the action was taking place within the borders of the United States, in keeping with how the bulk of the player base at the time lived there (or at least we're assumed by the developers to live there). So King David being the High King of Concordia didn't mean that he ruled the world, or even that he thought he did; it was more like he was the Changeling equivalent of the President of the United States.

I mean, what material from the 1995–2004 time period addressed changelings who lived anywhere else? Isle of the Mighty, Immortal Eyes, and Land of 8 Million Dreams, I think; and the latter two definitely did not give off the vibe of “these guys are part of Concordia”. Heck, even the Player's Guide's treatment of the Nunnehi didn't give that vibe, and the Nunnehi cohabitate North America with the Kinain.

Comment

Yeah that is what i thought for years

Comment

Yeah, that's always been my understanding of the situation too and while I can see David as High King of the Dreaming being accepted by American kithain and (maybe) European & Australian kithain, I highly doubt such acknowledgments would stretch very far beyond those borders.

Comment

I always thought he was "High king" because other kings were his sworn to him. I even played with this idea making a fractured concordia with no High King after David disappears.

Comment

Have you looked at the map of Concordia? It's composed of several Kingdoms, each with its own King.

Comment

Working...
                              X