It doesn't make sense the Governmental Body of House Concordia is Global

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It doesn't make sense the Governmental Body of House Concordia is Global

Wait I'm confused I thought the House of Concordia was for the Government of Concordia, so North and South American Changelings. But reading the Player's Guide it seems to imply its for all Changelings? It seems weird to have a Governing body for all Changelings rather then specifically the Territory of a single Nation. Concordia is essentially an Empire level nation, with High King being the equivalent of an Emperor, with multiple Kings vassaled to the Emperor. But it do
    esn't seem very feasible for House Concordia to cover all Kithain. On a Side Note I am totally going to make it that Concordia founded a House Concordia specifically for Entitled Commoners, it seems like a cool solution that would have came as a result of trying to assuage the bad blood from the Accordance War. Is there a specific reason why a House can't be Neutral, so not nominally Seelie or Unseelie. A unique situation like a House founded for Commoners rather then named after a specific founder could warrant it being Neither Seelie or Unseelie. The other Idea I can see is a set of Twin Houses like a House Concordia and House Discordia.

The Fact that they made it Global in the PG seems weird since they don't address the Language issues either, but that can easily be handled by Treasures or Enchantments to translate.

And I'm not the biggest fan of the over doing of the Dreaming being treated like some Omnipotent actor that makes decisions. Every now and then its cool, but now its doing things like freezing time so people can vote, and choosing representatives for people. That's the charm of politics, its up to the different Nations to decide how they choose their representatives.

I think I am going back to making this governmental Body only for the Empire of Concordia, which is mostly Murica. And other territories have their own governmental bodies, and some just have Autocrats and others are Republics.

Otherwise its kind of confusing which territories are involved? I mean its clearly based on Kithain Royal Houses/commoners. We don't have examples of other Nobles. It seems odd if you use Banner Houses or the Global Houses alternate rule that they would be chill with having Noble Houses from the other side of the Globe represent them.

• Lian
    replied
    I am pretty sure the write up of everything outside of North america in c20 base book makes this clear they are separate things having separate histories. Its just in updating the stuff from 1/2e like the shadow Court.. the only info we really had before to build off of was North American stuff so we see stuff like the Shadow Seat in the parlement of Dreams... but that's only a north American thing.

Now if someone.. say wanted to redo Isle of the Mighty or any of the other nations with a look ath their dreaming politics why that might be a great idea for STV.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Now is the winter of our Discordian discontent...

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    So then I wonder if a Noble Great House named Concordia was started after the Accordance War to ennoble commoners so they don't have to join the classic houses. And if they had a house to ennoble rebels and those outside of the system what would be a good way for a House Discordia to gather the discontent?

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    I’m pretty sure Isle of the Mighty makes it clear that the kingdoms of Albion (Britain) do not owe allegiance to Concordia.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    "High King" as a concept can be found in many places. Besides in Ireland, there have been High Kings in Scotland. Anglo-Saxon kingdoms had a Bretwalda at times. The Persians, Ethiopians, and Mongols had equivalents as well. It's what happens when one specific petty king out of a large group is able to dominate the others.

So it the title is one that designates any kind of overlord - a king who rules among kings. Typically it is a first among equals kind of association. More prestigious title for a lord that is more powerful to a degree to the other lords, powerful enough to compel them to recognize his greater status, but not enough to subjugate his peers outright. But there is little titular authority that comes with it. What power an overlord has is usually because of of the individual's power and personality over his peers. Only slowly, or because of great power imbalance, can such overlords institutionalize their personal authority. It took the Anglo-Saxon centuries before there was one King of England. And sometimes, the entire structure completely collapses as new heirs to the title can't keep it together.

To be honest, I'm of mixed minds about the Changeling setting. On the one hand, there are many things the creators just did superbly. It's possible to emulate a lot of fairy powers and activities from legends and tales in the game. But on the other hand, I've found the setting to be an incoherent mess, and they really botched the Kiths. If you go by the setting as written, it does a terrible job of presenting a classical take on fairies. It fails in a way that stories involving fairies in modern takes like Hellboy or Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell don't. It's not a complete failure. There are many compelling features. But ultimately I don't feel Changeling, as written, comes together. It is the most flawed by far of the five original games. One of my struggles as ST is to retain certain core elements and keep setting recognizable, but reimagine it in a way that I think fairies should be depicted. One of those changes is to throw out the entire political constructs the setting created.

Leave a comment:

• Gryffon15
    replied
    Aye, making the title of 'High King' reminiscent of an old medieval Gaelic style, which makes sense given the general aesthetics of many western kiths.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Have you looked at the map of Concordia? It's composed of several Kingdoms, each with its own King.

Leave a comment:

• Rucun
    replied
    I always thought he was "High king" because other kings were his sworn to him. I even played with this idea making a fractured concordia with no High King after David disappears.

Leave a comment:

• Gryffon15
    replied
    Yeah, that's always been my understanding of the situation too and while I can see David as High King of the Dreaming being accepted by American kithain and (maybe) European & Australian kithain, I highly doubt such acknowledgments would stretch very far beyond those borders.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Yeah that is what i thought for years

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    I always read 1e and 2e as assuming that the action was taking place within the borders of the United States, in keeping with how the bulk of the player base at the time lived there (or at least we're assumed by the developers to live there). So King David being the High King of Concordia didn't mean that he ruled the world, or even that he thought he did; it was more like he was the Changeling equivalent of the President of the United States.

I mean, what material from the 1995–2004 time period addressed changelings who lived anywhere else? Isle of the Mighty, Immortal Eyes, and Land of 8 Million Dreams, I think; and the latter two definitely did not give off the vibe of “these guys are part of Concordia”. Heck, even the Player's Guide's treatment of the Nunnehi didn't give that vibe, and the Nunnehi cohabitate North America with the Kinain.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I guess one of the most confusing things for me about Concordia ruling the world is they have a delineated territory. I mean aren’t all those who swear fealty you David in Concordian territory? Do any who swear fealty to Concordia, rather then the house of the high king, exist outside its bounds? Like any non Concordian Kings?

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Exactly I don’t want all Fae to share one global government that is a thousand times more boring then Concordia is trying something new but things radically different from region to region.

Leave a comment:

• Rucun
    replied
    I never got this impression from the second edition. And frankly I find this plot kinda lame. Not only because it reeks of "USA! USA! USA!" chant but also because I find very interesting to explore how others changeling kingdoms are in terms of politics. With some claiming to be even more traditional, and others much more modern.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X