"Distance" Realm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Distance" Realm

Has anyone toyed with the idea of adding a Realm covering extended range for Cantrip targets? Something like using Arcane Connections like in Ars Magica or the Correspondence Sphere of Mage, to affect targets outside immediate perception.

While it's possible, I personally think that adding any Realms risks disturbing the balance of the art mechanics and that the Setting Realm may be better suited to what you want to do with a few tweaks or additions.

Comment

Remember, you never need a Realm: if you don't have sufficient dots in it, you just pay Glamour to make up the difference. So adding a Connection-like Realm would grant everyone the ability to do the Voodoo Doll thing.

Comment

Thinking about these considerations, I kinda agree! How would you add to the Scene Realm to allow far targeting?

Comment

The Countless Dreams book rejiggers the realms as Theories and the Space theory covers distance and volume.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

O personally use true names as a way to cast a art on someone no matter where the people is.

I think special bunks are more fitting for this too. Like making a entire festival, ritual or using a very specific event, like a eclipse, or the first kiss of true love as a really powerful bunk that can target someone of something across very far distances.

This way it requires a lot more of roleplaying. Simply having some dots on a realm and then casting a long distance cantrip is kinda too gamey. Remember, Even the common realms have roleplaying in it. For low level you need to know the person name, etc.

I could see some sense if it was a "places" realm. and with similar considerations. On low dots you had to have lived in the place before, with more dots, you at least needed to have visited the place once, etc.

Comment

I agree, thanks a lot for these feedbacks! Rucun, your suggestion about True Names makes a lot of sense!

Comment

Working...
              X