Fae Languages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fae Languages

Should we have Fae Languages? I think we are missing out on a lot of fun and flavor by not having them. Naturally I drift towards exalted when I think of Languages but anyways if we do have fictional languages what do you think they should be? I think Fae characters should be allowed to have a free one remembered after Chrysalis.

So High Arcadian for Sidhe, Undertongue the language of lost Underbridge. Maybe Atlantean for Mer. Deeptongue for Thallain. And the primordial four seasonal tongues for the oldest Fae and the Nunnehi.

Other option is just use extinct tongues only.

It is a time for great deeds!

I prefer to include semi forgotten Real world languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l117wfB0g3o Whistle or Bird Tongue has gotten a lot of play with our Pooka

Comment

In fairy stories and legends, there isn't much indication that fairies speak different tongues. Such things only bog down a good story. Nor is there any much indication that fairies encounter difficulties understanding humans regardless of where those humans come from. Even fairy animals seem to either understand people or even able to speak with people if they are also "characters" in the story and act as helpers, guides, or hindrances.

So I would rule there is only one fairy "tongue", and any time people are enchanted, they are able to speak and understand it as well (and just as quickly lost once the enchantment wears off). It's probably a side effect of the Dreaming itself.

I don't see the benefit of fragmenting things. But if there's a way to make that good tools for an ST to use, I'd be open to considering such things in my own games.

Comment

Adhene should definitely have their own languages and common languages among the general Denizen folk.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
          In fairy stories and legends, there isn't much indication that fairies speak different tongues. Such things only bog down a good story. Nor is there any much indication that fairies encounter difficulties understanding humans regardless of where those humans come from. Even fairy animals seem to either understand people or even able to speak with people if they are also "characters" in the story and act as helpers, guides, or hindrances.

So I would rule there is only one fairy "tongue", and any time people are enchanted, they are able to speak and understand it as well (and just as quickly lost once the enchantment wears off). It's probably a side effect of the Dreaming itself.

I don't see the benefit of fragmenting things. But if there's a way to make that good tools for an ST to use, I'd be open to considering such things in my own games.

Honestly I was more thinking use of obscure or cant languages for Kithain interacting in the Autumn world. That's really what most cants come from trying to pass stuff infront of the normies.

Comment

Working...
          X