No announcement yet.

Underground Hollows, Faery Gold and Goblin Fruit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want more emphasis on underground Fae traditions but in a broader sense all hidden Fae communities. Before the Resurgence the Most of the Trods were locked down and Fae spent centuries with little to no Dreaming travel. This way you have some communal territory for all the fae of a city or town. And it gives each city some flavor because all their chimera don't just go into the dreaming or die, now they just shuffle underground and you have chimera as a living history of a town or city. I am having it as a Commoner Tradition that they dig a hidden hollow under their human home, or even under a tree, and it eventually evolved into this. It gives Chimera with Wyrd something to do. Meanwhile Sidhe are more inclined to live in mansions/freeholds or claim impressive underground homes at the center of the network.

Best of all it doesn't really need crunch reshuffling.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      I want more emphasis on underground Fae traditions but in a broader sense all hidden Fae communities. Before the Resurgence the Most of the Trods were locked down and Fae spent centuries with little to no Dreaming travel. This way you have some communal territory for all the fae of a city or town. And it gives each city some flavor because all their chimera don't just go into the dreaming or die, now they just shuffle underground and you have chimera as a living history of a town or city. I am having it as a Commoner Tradition that they dig a hidden hollow under their human home, or even under a tree, and it eventually evolved into this. It gives Chimera with Wyrd something to do. Meanwhile Sidhe are more inclined to live in mansions/freeholds or claim impressive underground homes at the center of the network.

Best of all it doesn't really need crunch reshuffling.

That's not the case at all? Just after the shattering the Dreaming was basically disconnected but as of c20 Trods and such had healed well before the Enlightenment. The Resurrgence added ALOT more but the trods were regrowing. And you were talking about tunnels crossing continents... that would be something people would notice in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

That's not the case at all? Just after the shattering the Dreaming was basically disconnected but as of c20 Trods and such had healed well before the Enlightenment. The Resurrgence added ALOT more but the trods were regrowing. And you were talking about tunnels crossing continents... that would be something people would notice in the real world.

Wait what, I don't remember talking about tunnels crossing continents. I was specifically talking about regional networks for single communities like towns or cities, or a section of forest.

But now that you mention it I would like to point out one of my inspirations, the Stone Age European Tunnel Network that extends from the British Isle to the Mediterranean.

They Predate the Founding of the Black Spirals but they could work as Ratkin, Fae, and even Nosferatu Tunnels or something as inhuman as Vhajunka. Either Way I say underground tunnels and caves in general are havens for chimera due to lack of human contact and thus general banality.
        Last edited by Eldagusto; 11-28-2020, 09:19 PM. Reason: accidently posted the wrong map here is a tunnel pic instead.

Comment

I want to point out that in the real world, the claims about these tunnels are exaggerations and pseudoscience, not genuine archaeology.
          https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stone-age-tunnels/ They only date to the middle ages and later (though that still puts some within the Interregnum) and form local networks, not continent-spanning underground highways. Sorry to crap on your post Eldagusto, but I wouldn't want this thread to contribute to the rumors (about the real world tunnels).

Of course in the WoD they can be whatever you like.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
            I want to point out that in the real world, the claims about these tunnels are exaggerations and pseudoscience, not genuine archaeology.
            https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stone-age-tunnels/ They only date to the middle ages and later (though that still puts some within the Interregnum) and form local networks, not continent-spanning underground highways. Sorry to crap on your post Eldagusto, but I wouldn't want this thread to contribute to the rumors (about the real world tunnels).

Of course in the WoD they can be whatever you like.
            It felt too good to be true hoho! I only heard about them from Darker Days Podcast anyways. Fun inspiration for Trods that connect local Counties.

Comment

In the World of Darkness setting, conspiracies and pseudoscience abound. Pentex has been digging to find sleeping Wyrm monsters, Black Spiral Dancers have continent spanning tunnels, and the Nosferatu have elaborate underground networks. And there is also the Void Engineers Subterranean Exploration Corps, who have been fighting all sorts of things down below our feet. So you should feel little restraint in what you have down below, where the Gauntlet is mighty low, and things wriggle in the dark...

For my tastes, the Dreaming aspects of the underworld would be many. Fomorian monstrosities, Wyrm-Spawn bygones and other entities lay sleeping "down there," and can be powerful sources of Glamour/Dross, though likely tainted with Nightmare energies. However, these places/things are not entirely in the Autumn world, if at all. Rather these prisons/etc are pocket realms in their own right, and likely link to multiple realms.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
              Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Of course, in the WoD some ancient tunnels are perfectly plausible; you just have to tell a story about who dug them!

Your mention of bygone beasts reminded me about the Siberian folklore about mammoths. In earlier days, when people found mammoths melting out of permafrost or falling out of cliffs, or whatever, they believed the huge beasts were creatures that burrowed underground, and only died if they accidentally broke through to the surface. I think banality/disbelief probably sinks into the topsoil, but below 10 feet or so there could be all kinds of bizarre shit living there. Only true thaumivores would need to live deep enough to reach an area of low Gauntlet (and how deep is that?).

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                Exalted and cWoD book list. Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors.

Comment

These ideas are gold! The Old Mammoth beliefs are always interesting, right up there with people confusing their bones for Cyclop skulls.

And everyone seems to forget the Underground Corp I’m favor of folks like the deep sea explorers.

Hmm yes deep underground things probably blur between what is in the Autumn world and what is in the spiritual. I reckon human exploration stabilizes it some.

But it definitely is rife with bygones and thunderwyrm like beasties (do you think Thunderwyrms and Vhajunka would be Bygones) and sleeping dragons.

I really like my idea of Faery Gold being material in the autumn world with a chimerical mien that reverts into mundane rubbish like pyrite and fossils or quartz if mortals discover it first, but if Fae beings harvest it it makes excellent material and ingredients for Treasures or just luxury goods. Same with having say underground Goblin Fruit of luminescent fungus that produces light only for enchanted beings. Lots of opportunities for dross and hidden Glens and Fonts deep below. As well as sleeping/imprisoned Elderdark/Fomorians.

Comment

I like your faerie gold and fungus ideas.

As for Thunderwyrms, maybe they are like bygone beasts, but Wyrm taint and pollution sustain them in the material world regardless of the Gauntlet and disbelief. After all, everyone believes in earthquakes. If nobody lives to see it emerge then who cares what else they believe? On the other hand, if they lived near the surface you'd get nonstop earthquakes, so maybe they're deep enough to take advantage of a thinner Gauntlet (and inflict correspondingingly more spiritual pollution on the Penumbra?)

From a Changeling perspective, I would say that Dark Glamour is becoming more available, relative to light? Glamour, as the Winter approaches. Creatures that thrive on Dark Glamour get an extra resilience vs. banality. You could even say that they especially do well wherever a Glimmering happened recently. So not only do Glimmerings attract Thallain and Adhenes from the Nightmare realms, but you get the nastier chimera and magical animals coming there to breed.
                    Last edited by Erinys; 11-29-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah Dark Glamour seems to be having its heyday. Its also a blank check to have any sort of Horror emerge.

I just noticed Thunderwyrms might be the Wyrm Equivalent to Rorquals. Rorquals are living Caerns in the form of Kami Whales, while Thunderwyrms are just giant beasts but their Elder Forms of broodmothers like Grandmaw Thunderwyrm are literally living Caerns as in Black Spirals live inside her and can be reborn as Ferectoi, originally implied I believe that Zhyzak did this, but then ignored later.

But I want more of the whole the world looks different if you can see the Chimerical. Have not super rare just uncommon or more obvious if you know were to look like Faery Mounds and Hidden abandoned Subway Tunnels and Catacombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                        Of course, in the WoD some ancient tunnels are perfectly plausible; you just have to tell a story about who dug them!

Your mention of bygone beasts reminded me about the Siberian folklore about mammoths. In earlier days, when people found mammoths melting out of permafrost or falling out of cliffs, or whatever, they believed the huge beasts were creatures that burrowed underground, and only died if they accidentally broke through to the surface. I think banality/disbelief probably sinks into the topsoil, but below 10 feet or so there could be all kinds of bizarre shit living there. Only true thaumivores would need to live deep enough to reach an area of low Gauntlet (and how deep is that?).
                        Would you mind if I stole subterranean Siberian mammoths as an Adhene kith. Because that shit is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                        X