X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldagusto
    started a topic Underground Hollows, Faery Gold and Goblin Fruit

Underground Hollows, Faery Gold and Goblin Fruit

I'm thinking in my next game I'm going to have Fae have Underground infrastructure that connects the various Freeholds/Fiefdoms within a Duchy or County. The basic idea being going with the many stories of Fae living below ground all over the World. This means fae keep their nature close to the vest in the Mortal World but Freeholds will have a tendancy to dig tunnels below them and local Chimera squat and live in the tunnels finding them as a haven against the banality above ground. These Chimera naturally expand the Tunnels and the local Lords make a point of connecting their Tunnels with their subjects. This results in rural Areas with secret undertowns, old Cities with Catacombs with Kinain and enchanted that rub shoulders with derelicts and Nosferatu, and levels that expand secretly into even older larger catacombs below. Sewers under New York that reach into abandoned WWII Tunnels that expand further into a secret Underduchy. This provides room for a lot more secret citizens of the Kingdoms like Denizens, Chimera sworn to the Courts and Kinain. It also provides an outlet for wild born Chimera to drift down below the city rather then die or go into the Dreaming.

There would be chimerical tunnels that are solid to unenchanted.

For all these Underground infrastructures I would also include things like Hidden Forest Glens, Abandoned Mines, and even The Lady of the Lake's Lake, so an estate mortals believe is a lake but its liveable for the training of a dude like Lancelot. I also have things like Goblin Fruit and Faeiry Gold as things, so magical fruits and minerals that are conventional matter with a chimerical aspect located in places never blemished by unenchanted hands. Often Faery Gold appears as things like Pyrite when mortals encounter it and spoil it with Banality but if harvested by Fae like Chimera or Kithain they are items with Chimerical miens with special properties. Goblin fruits will be like magical fruits with blessing and Curses like in Changeling the Lost but when spoiled by Banality they just revert to poisoned berries and sour wild fruit and crabapples.

Maybe there could be Backgrounds to represent these, like Hollow to represent Underground Lair, since they are not as potent as Freeholds they are more secure but similar and combinable with Freeholds. Hollows could have access to Raths and Trods and connections to nearby Hallows of other Fae. And then Goblin Fruit and Faery Gold Representing access to hidden resources.

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    Of course, in the WoD some ancient tunnels are perfectly plausible; you just have to tell a story about who dug them!

Your mention of bygone beasts reminded me about the Siberian folklore about mammoths. In earlier days, when people found mammoths melting out of permafrost or falling out of cliffs, or whatever, they believed the huge beasts were creatures that burrowed underground, and only died if they accidentally broke through to the surface. I think banality/disbelief probably sinks into the topsoil, but below 10 feet or so there could be all kinds of bizarre shit living there. Only true thaumivores would need to live deep enough to reach an area of low Gauntlet (and how deep is that?).
    Would you mind if I stole subterranean Siberian mammoths as an Adhene kith. Because that shit is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Yeah Dark Glamour seems to be having its heyday. Its also a blank check to have any sort of Horror emerge.

I just noticed Thunderwyrms might be the Wyrm Equivalent to Rorquals. Rorquals are living Caerns in the form of Kami Whales, while Thunderwyrms are just giant beasts but their Elder Forms of broodmothers like Grandmaw Thunderwyrm are literally living Caerns as in Black Spirals live inside her and can be reborn as Ferectoi, originally implied I believe that Zhyzak did this, but then ignored later.

But I want more of the whole the world looks different if you can see the Chimerical. Have not super rare just uncommon or more obvious if you know were to look like Faery Mounds and Hidden abandoned Subway Tunnels and Catacombs.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    I like your faerie gold and fungus ideas.

As for Thunderwyrms, maybe they are like bygone beasts, but Wyrm taint and pollution sustain them in the material world regardless of the Gauntlet and disbelief. After all, everyone believes in earthquakes. If nobody lives to see it emerge then who cares what else they believe? On the other hand, if they lived near the surface you'd get nonstop earthquakes, so maybe they're deep enough to take advantage of a thinner Gauntlet (and inflict correspondingingly more spiritual pollution on the Penumbra?)

From a Changeling perspective, I would say that Dark Glamour is becoming more available, relative to light? Glamour, as the Winter approaches. Creatures that thrive on Dark Glamour get an extra resilience vs. banality. You could even say that they especially do well wherever a Glimmering happened recently. So not only do Glimmerings attract Thallain and Adhenes from the Nightmare realms, but you get the nastier chimera and magical animals coming there to breed.
    Last edited by Erinys; 11-29-2020, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    These ideas are gold! The Old Mammoth beliefs are always interesting, right up there with people confusing their bones for Cyclop skulls.

And everyone seems to forget the Underground Corp I’m favor of folks like the deep sea explorers.

Hmm yes deep underground things probably blur between what is in the Autumn world and what is in the spiritual. I reckon human exploration stabilizes it some.

But it definitely is rife with bygones and thunderwyrm like beasties (do you think Thunderwyrms and Vhajunka would be Bygones) and sleeping dragons.

I really like my idea of Faery Gold being material in the autumn world with a chimerical mien that reverts into mundane rubbish like pyrite and fossils or quartz if mortals discover it first, but if Fae beings harvest it it makes excellent material and ingredients for Treasures or just luxury goods. Same with having say underground Goblin Fruit of luminescent fungus that produces light only for enchanted beings. Lots of opportunities for dross and hidden Glens and Fonts deep below. As well as sleeping/imprisoned Elderdark/Fomorians.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Of course, in the WoD some ancient tunnels are perfectly plausible; you just have to tell a story about who dug them!

Your mention of bygone beasts reminded me about the Siberian folklore about mammoths. In earlier days, when people found mammoths melting out of permafrost or falling out of cliffs, or whatever, they believed the huge beasts were creatures that burrowed underground, and only died if they accidentally broke through to the surface. I think banality/disbelief probably sinks into the topsoil, but below 10 feet or so there could be all kinds of bizarre shit living there. Only true thaumivores would need to live deep enough to reach an area of low Gauntlet (and how deep is that?).

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    In the World of Darkness setting, conspiracies and pseudoscience abound. Pentex has been digging to find sleeping Wyrm monsters, Black Spiral Dancers have continent spanning tunnels, and the Nosferatu have elaborate underground networks. And there is also the Void Engineers Subterranean Exploration Corps, who have been fighting all sorts of things down below our feet. So you should feel little restraint in what you have down below, where the Gauntlet is mighty low, and things wriggle in the dark...

For my tastes, the Dreaming aspects of the underworld would be many. Fomorian monstrosities, Wyrm-Spawn bygones and other entities lay sleeping "down there," and can be powerful sources of Glamour/Dross, though likely tainted with Nightmare energies. However, these places/things are not entirely in the Autumn world, if at all. Rather these prisons/etc are pocket realms in their own right, and likely link to multiple realms.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    I want to point out that in the real world, the claims about these tunnels are exaggerations and pseudoscience, not genuine archaeology.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stone-age-tunnels/ They only date to the middle ages and later (though that still puts some within the Interregnum) and form local networks, not continent-spanning underground highways. Sorry to crap on your post Eldagusto, but I wouldn't want this thread to contribute to the rumors (about the real world tunnels).

Of course in the WoD they can be whatever you like.
    It felt too good to be true hoho! I only heard about them from Darker Days Podcast anyways. Fun inspiration for Trods that connect local Counties.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    I want to point out that in the real world, the claims about these tunnels are exaggerations and pseudoscience, not genuine archaeology.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stone-age-tunnels/ They only date to the middle ages and later (though that still puts some within the Interregnum) and form local networks, not continent-spanning underground highways. Sorry to crap on your post Eldagusto, but I wouldn't want this thread to contribute to the rumors (about the real world tunnels).

Of course in the WoD they can be whatever you like.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Lian View Post

That's not the case at all? Just after the shattering the Dreaming was basically disconnected but as of c20 Trods and such had healed well before the Enlightenment. The Resurrgence added ALOT more but the trods were regrowing. And you were talking about tunnels crossing continents... that would be something people would notice in the real world.

Wait what, I don't remember talking about tunnels crossing continents. I was specifically talking about regional networks for single communities like towns or cities, or a section of forest.

But now that you mention it I would like to point out one of my inspirations, the Stone Age European Tunnel Network that extends from the British Isle to the Mediterranean.

They Predate the Founding of the Black Spirals but they could work as Ratkin, Fae, and even Nosferatu Tunnels or something as inhuman as Vhajunka. Either Way I say underground tunnels and caves in general are havens for chimera due to lack of human contact and thus general banality.
    Last edited by Eldagusto; 11-28-2020, 09:19 PM. Reason: accidently posted the wrong map here is a tunnel pic instead.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    I want more emphasis on underground Fae traditions but in a broader sense all hidden Fae communities. Before the Resurgence the Most of the Trods were locked down and Fae spent centuries with little to no Dreaming travel. This way you have some communal territory for all the fae of a city or town. And it gives each city some flavor because all their chimera don't just go into the dreaming or die, now they just shuffle underground and you have chimera as a living history of a town or city. I am having it as a Commoner Tradition that they dig a hidden hollow under their human home, or even under a tree, and it eventually evolved into this. It gives Chimera with Wyrd something to do. Meanwhile Sidhe are more inclined to live in mansions/freeholds or claim impressive underground homes at the center of the network.

Best of all it doesn't really need crunch reshuffling.

That's not the case at all? Just after the shattering the Dreaming was basically disconnected but as of c20 Trods and such had healed well before the Enlightenment. The Resurrgence added ALOT more but the trods were regrowing. And you were talking about tunnels crossing continents... that would be something people would notice in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I want more emphasis on underground Fae traditions but in a broader sense all hidden Fae communities. Before the Resurgence the Most of the Trods were locked down and Fae spent centuries with little to no Dreaming travel. This way you have some communal territory for all the fae of a city or town. And it gives each city some flavor because all their chimera don't just go into the dreaming or die, now they just shuffle underground and you have chimera as a living history of a town or city. I am having it as a Commoner Tradition that they dig a hidden hollow under their human home, or even under a tree, and it eventually evolved into this. It gives Chimera with Wyrd something to do. Meanwhile Sidhe are more inclined to live in mansions/freeholds or claim impressive underground homes at the center of the network.

Best of all it doesn't really need crunch reshuffling.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Originally posted by Lian View Post
    There's a reason even Nos Warrens stretch this(New Orleans really?)
    To be fair, the leeches don't need to breathe.

Leave a comment:

• Lian
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Well they do extend into the dreaming in multiple points but why have anything in the Autumnworld? It’s so everything doesn’t have to always be in the dreaming all the time..

Because that's the point of having the Dreaming/Umbra/Shadowlands. The Autumn world is meant to be generally mapable with the Real world. There's a reason even Nos Warrens stretch this(New Orleans really?) and you want to go even further. This is exactly what shallowings are for This is why the Hollow Earth is another world. So you don't end up with the weird DND sandwich of dwarves dig down and find the Underdark filled with drow. Drow dig down.. and find dinosaurs and glowing hollow earth.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I totally am being Influenced by Changeling the Lost and the 1st ed Goblin Fruits and Goblin Markets and Hollows. I love Goblin Fruit and their Mixed Curses/Blessings.

And the Underdark as a concept is fun in so many gamelines, like Dragon's Age, and even the Changeling Backstory with Underbridge.

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
    At present, I am running a campaign set in Manhattan, with a strong presence from Goblin Town. So I am actually thinking a great deal on this subject. New York City has so many underground tunnels in our world, having an entire Undercity down there. With the addition of Nosferatu vampires, Black Spiral tunnels, Ratkin, and other denizens, there is quite the weird ecosystem going on down there. And with portals leading to the Dreaming, the Hollow Earth, Umbra and Shadowlands, things can get really weird.

For my game, there are a handful of trade towns, "safe" havens and travel routes underground that are maintained mostly by "mole people," who are a mix of kinain, kinfolk, ghouls, and regular folk. These places can be ramshackle shanty towns, but a few are surprisingly pleasant, though still odd. Banality in these places is pretty low (Localized Reality/Irrational Zones in Mage terms) and this are appealing to Changelings and Mages.
    Exactly! Undertunnels/Undercities are huge in the Real World, like the Tunnel City under Las Vegas and the Huge abandoned Networks under New York. And in the World of Darkness I want it to be even grander. I was always a fan of localized superstition making localized zones of reality to effect the Consensus and also have lower then normal Banality. Didn't Hunter have the Crocodiles in the Sewers Urban Legend turn out to be Pooka/Beasties or something? Such major undercities I can see being a Mecca for Slaugh, Redcap, and Thallain from the Tunnels of America and the Paris Grand Catacombs or sunken Tunnels of Venice with the Premascines.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X