Fairy Stocks/Fetches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairy Stocks/Fetches

In traditional folklore, not all changelings are fairies. Sometimes the fairies replace the person (or sometimes livestock) they've stolen with an item crafted to look like them. This is sometimes called a "stock" or "fetch". In the book and TV mini-series Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrel, the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair makes a stock of Arabella out of a trunk of moss-oak. In Frances Hardinge's YA novel Cuckoo Song, someone is replaced by a thing created out of tree leaves and woods. In other stories, the stock might be a leather bag filled with sticks and rocks before the fairies enchant it. In these stories, the stock is not meant to last forever. They typically "die" within a week or so, leaving the victim's friends and family none the wiser that they have been taken.

While in the CtD setting, these stocks would not be Kithain, I do think they could be used in the game. If fairies wanted to enchant a human and steal them away, they could still replace that person with a stock. It's definitely something one of the Unseelie might do.

A stock is essentially a crafted item, made from mundane items, that is temporarily animated and disguised with Glamour. That is well within the nature of powers given to changelings.

But I can't figure out how to precisely do it with the existing mechanics of CtD. The Primal Art of Elder-Form could do it, but likely would not last long enough to do the job. You need five successes for it to last a week, and that is unreliable. You could say it was a Treasure, but Treasures are meant to be permanent. An item that only lasts as long as it takes for the stock to "die" and be buried and then return to its actual form once under the ground, should not be a Treasure. So I then looked at the Nockers, but their birthright seems limited to chimera, and this is something that needs to appear to humanity and thus survive Banality for a period of time. Another possibility is the Mannikin inanimae, but they really don't fit either. Though they may come the closest.

Is this covered somewhere in a sourcebook? Or is there some other power or concept I am unaware of that could explain how such stocks are created? Or do I simply need to invent something on my own. I don't mind doing that, but I would prefer keeping to established concepts as much as possible.

Thanks.

Fetches don't appear in CtD as far as I know, but they're prominently featured in CtL.

CtD Player's Guide introduces Lyceans, who are objects (like cars) that are animated by Glamour and have developed a mind of their own. Basically, Chimera that are tied to physical forms.

Comment

I would say that such a creature would be made through Infusion, or a specific ritual. The animating spirit being a chimerical creature with the redes shapechange and wyrd.

Banality would eventually kill the creature, but if it looked and acted like it's human counterpart, it might fend off the effects for awhile.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
      ― Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

In this terms, I do much rather enjoy the CtL take on the matter; funnily enough thou, DA Fae also had kidnapped humans turning into Changelling Fae, and the whole abduction thing, which I think is severely lacking in CtD, is there.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
          I would say that such a creature would be made through Infusion, or a specific ritual. The animating spirit being a chimerical creature with the redes shapechange and wyrd.

Banality would eventually kill the creature, but if it looked and acted like it's human counterpart, it might fend off the effects for awhile.
          Mimiking a human is exactly what would cause such a thing to become infested with Banality in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakost View Post
            In this terms, I do much rather enjoy the CtL take on the matter; funnily enough thou, DA Fae also had kidnapped humans turning into Changelling Fae, and the whole abduction thing, which I think is severely lacking in CtD, is there.
            Ah, Dark Ages Fae... <wistful sigh>

In general Lost is a a great game that can be a great for inspiration for Dreaming. It's not that hard to pillage Alien Unseelies and Fetches and port them into Dreaming.

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodai View Post

Ah, Dark Ages Fae... <wistful sigh>
              😮 what? Lol

I love that game, to me it's the WoD biggest tragedy the fact that we dont have more of it.

"Did you ever heard about the tragedy of DA Fae? I thought not. It's not a story that the Dream would tell you."

Comment

I think Asmodai is saying the same thing.

Comment

Mimiking a human is exactly what would cause such a thing to become infested with Banality in my opinion.
                  Yes and no. The core premise of the game is fae mimicking humans. And while still fae, do become infested with Banality.

But for the simulacra that we are discussing, I would say that they would function like a "human suit" or Husk (see below).

Husk (Background)
                  This background deals with how skilled the character is at crafting his Husk. At lower levels the Husk resembles the Dreamform, and unless hidden will cause mortals to recognize the Inanimae as a supernatural creature. This invariably will expose the Inanimae to Banality, as disbelieving observers comment on the Inanimae's appearance. If the Inanimae has no rating in this Background, her Husk is identical to her Dreamform.
                  ● Very minor changes (skin tone, human shapes)
                  ●● Minor changes (hair becomes more human like, facial features less broad)
                  ●●● Human appearance (Inanimae can pass casual observation as human)
                  ●●●● Nearly perfect (Inanimae seems human to almost everybody save detailed examination)
                  ●●●●●​ Undetectable (It takes advanced diagnostic techniques to determine that the Husk is not human)
                  This background could easily be made as a 1-5pt Rede (prerequisite: Wyrd). But what of Banality? I would say that these creatures would accumulate a Banality point per week of interaction with Mortals, with more accumulated on a case by case basis. Once banality has been accumulated beyond the simulacra's Husk rating, it dies.
                  Last edited by MythAdvocate; 08-02-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    I think Asmodai is saying the same thing.
                    Yes. As I said, DA: Fae makes me wistful.

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

Yes and no. The core premise of the game is fae mimicking humans. And while still fae, do become infested with Banality.

But for the simulacra that we are discussing, I would say that they would function like a &quot;human suit&quot; or Husk (see below).

Husk (Background)
                      This background deals with how skilled the character is at crafting his Husk. At lower levels the Husk resembles the Dreamform, and unless hidden will cause mortals to recognize the Inanimae as a supernatural creature. This invariably will expose the Inanimae to Banality, as disbelieving observers comment on the Inanimae's appearance. If the Inanimae has no rating in this Background, her Husk is identical to her Dreamform.
                      ● Very minor changes (skin tone, human shapes)
                      ●● Minor changes (hair becomes more human like, facial features less broad)
                      ●●● Human appearance (Inanimae can pass casual observation as human)
                      ●●●● Nearly perfect (Inanimae seems human to almost everybody save detailed examination)
                      ●●●●●​ Undetectable (It takes advanced diagnostic techniques to determine that the Husk is not human)
                      This background could easily be made as a 1-5pt Rede (prerequisite: Wyrd). But what of Banality? I would say that these creatures would accumulate a Banality point per week of interaction with Mortals, with more accumulated on a case by case basis. Once banality has been accumulated beyond the simulacra's Husk rating, it dies.
                      I liked that, but how about making it a month for each dot? Thus ranging from 1 month to 5 months at most, but probably less than that

Comment

Oh, I am sure it happens quite a bit. Enchanting mortals and stealing them away remains a hobby among the fae. In fact, I don't see why fae slavers would not be a major industry among the Unseelie, and Seelie alike (though the Seelie would claim that their "pets" came willingly). High King David doesn't go for this sort of thing, but his reach only goes so far.

Fae slavers are recurring villains in my home campaigns. The Seelie/decent Unseelie ones think of themselves as Peter Pan type persons, rescuing mortals (usually children) from their banal lives by taking them into the Dreaming. While unseelie types snatch mortals to act as playthings, pets and livestock. There is also a "Lost Boys/Girls" Society of enchanted mortals who fight these slavers (and who the PCs have not yet met).

Comment

I liked that, but how about making it a month for each dot? Thus ranging from 1 month to 5 months at most, but probably less than that
                          Whatever works for ones home game. For my druthers, I would allow the creature to burn off banality points with Glamour points, but this has its own problems. A really advanced simulacre might regain lost Glamour by ravaging humans via the Dreamweaving Merit or by doing something spooky like eating offal, stealing a child's breath (1 Glamour point per lethal Health level inflicted) or reciting a recriminating rhyme every night.

Comment

Oh, I am sure it happens quite a bit. Enchanting mortals and stealing them away remains a hobby among the fae. In fact, I don't see why fae slavers would not be a major industry among the Unseelie, and Seelie alike (though the Seelie would claim that their &quot;pets&quot; came willingly). High King David doesn't go for this sort of thing, but his reach only goes so far.

Fae slavers are recurring villains in my home campaigns. The Seelie/decent Unseelie ones think of themselves as Peter Pan type persons, rescuing mortals (usually children) from their banal lives by taking them into the Dreaming. While unseelie types snatch mortals to act as playthings, pets and livestock. There is also a &quot;Lost Boys/Girls&quot; Society of enchanted mortals who fight these slavers (and who the PCs have not yet met).
                            What CtD doesn't have is kidnapped mortals being replaced by Fetches, or kidnapped mortals turning into Changelings.

It does have something about changelings who hoo to the Deep Dreaming having their faerie natures intensified; but in current canon, I know of nothing where mortals get changed if taken there.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Storyteller's Vault product that addresses exactly that issue, pointing to Dark Ages: Fae as precedent for introducing Lost-style Changelings into CtD. (There's one, Harbingers of Winter, that details the Tithed; the souls of those mortals who got sent to Arcadia when the Arcadian Sidhe arrived on Earth. They're similar to Lost's Fetches in that they're linked to a specific changeling and have powers based on that link; but they're also like Lost's changelings in that they have escaped from Arcadia and are bent on revenge.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

What CtD doesn't have is kidnapped mortals being replaced by Fetches, or kidnapped mortals turning into Changelings.

It does have something about changelings who hoo to the Deep Dreaming having their faerie natures intensified; but in current canon, I know of nothing where mortals get changed if taken there.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Storyteller's Vault product that addresses exactly that issue, pointing to Dark Ages: Fae as precedent for introducing Lost-style Changelings into CtD. (There's one, Harbingers of Winter, that details the Tithed; the souls of those mortals who got sent to Arcadia when the Arcadian Sidhe arrived on Earth. They're similar to Lost's Fetches in that they're linked to a specific changeling and have powers based on that link; but they're also like Lost's changelings in that they have escaped from Arcadia and are bent on revenge.)

It would be an interesting area to explore. I could particularly see Adhene and Fomorians using captured humans and animals to create troops, servitors etc. This would not be outside of their character or powers if applied correctly.

A transformed mortal or even a Tithed could always be an origin story for Changeling or Kinain character. Part of a back story, Curse or Dark Fate flaw or something similar.

But I will think on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X