No announcement yet.

Fairy Stocks/Fetches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the contributions of MythAdvocate here. In terms of mechanics, it can be some sort of "ritual" that fae can learn (perhaps only Nockers and possibly Boggans, or perhaps every fae - I need to think about it). But clearly one needs a high level of Crafts and need so many successes to work) that infuses a Chimera into a stock with a Rede similar to Husk. It's be an animate, but non sentient Chimera that only acts as the victim is supposed to act, but likely appearing befuddled or ill. So you likely need some kind of possession or other item of the target to be used doing the ritual that connects the stock to the person so it knows how to act.

Curious, are there actually such "rituals" (regardless of their effects) currently in the game?

Banality steadily accrues and at some point the stock gets "sick" and eventually "dies". The stock will return to its true form some reasonable time after it "dies". Most should do so well after the time required for burial. But some don't so the ST can create issues where the victim's family realizes the body is gone and replaced by something clearly not the person, and those who remember the old tales might consider "this seems like those old legends about the fairies..."

I think such fairy abductions and replacements by stocks should be rare. It should have only happened fairly rarely in olden days, and in more Banal times now it should be even rarer. But I think that's just a function of figuring out an appropriate "trigger" for the ritual that is used. If the pre-requisites aren't meant, the trigger won't work and stocks can't be created. If we go by actual folk stories when this happened, the trigger should probably be some kind of violation or trespass against the fae done by the victim. That brings them to the attention of the fae who can then decide if they want to take the person to serve them.

I would handle abducted mortals just like anyone normally Enchanted. But now they're limited to being in Freeholds and in the Dreaming. And I'd probably modify the Dream-struck rules to extend the time they can handle being there, or change the penalties entirely to something more appropriate. Or just say they maintain a balance of Banality and Glamour because their enslavement always makes them to do the most banal work imaginable in the Dreaming like scrubbing floors and all the other unpleasant acts fairies traditionally make their slaves do. What happens if the enslaved mortal spends too much time there and then escapes the Dreaming? Well, their real age catches up to them. They either age suddenly to their appropriate years in the mortal world, and if they survived past their normal lifespan they turn to dust. That seems to be what happens in legends.

And if anyone wants to rescue that victim, that person needs to do something to somehow "cancel" the ritual and break the Enchantment/slavery. Maybe some form of restitution to redeem the person. Or the performance of some ban or Banal act that breaks the enchantment. (Meeting at a specific place to see their beloved and throwing a piece of iron over the head of fairies, or grabbing them and pulling the victim back to them away from the fairies are the traditional methods to rescue such a person.) Or maybe this is something that the Dauntain can perform for people.

Comment

Originally posted by MythAdvocate View Post
      Fae slavers are recurring villains in my home campaigns. The Seelie/decent Unseelie ones think of themselves as Peter Pan type persons, rescuing mortals (usually children) from their banal lives by taking them into the Dreaming. While unseelie types snatch mortals to act as playthings, pets and livestock. There is also a "Lost Boys/Girls" Society of enchanted mortals who fight these slavers (and who the PCs have not yet met).
      Ooh, this is very good. And it really helps that this provides a good reason why even Seelie fae might abducts someone. Instead of that girl being taken to scrub floors and clean house for eternity, the Seelie has "rescued" that poor girl from a life of drudgery... by imprisoning her in a tower in the Dreaming where she will be treated like a princess.. for eternity (who can never leave). They know what will make her happy. Better than her at least.

It also provides an interesting new faction in the Dreaming - mortals trapped there waging their own war/feud with the fae who can't ever leave the Dreaming, because they know if they do that Banality will hit them in the face and instantly kill them because they've been in the Dreaming too long.

I actually don't run a Changeling game. But I have a player in a Werewolf game who is in a pack of Stag, and he really, really, really, really likes the inclusion of fae in the game. Stuff like this gives me more tools I can use. I want the fae in my chronicles to be mercurial and equally dangerous as they are wonderful, not cute and safe. And this fits the bill. Excellent ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

What CtD doesn't have is kidnapped mortals being replaced by Fetches, or kidnapped mortals turning into Changelings.

It does have something about changelings who hoo to the Deep Dreaming having their faerie natures intensified; but in current canon, I know of nothing where mortals get changed if taken there.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Storyteller's Vault product that addresses exactly that issue, pointing to Dark Ages: Fae as precedent for introducing Lost-style Changelings into CtD. (There's one, Harbingers of Winter, that details the Tithed; the souls of those mortals who got sent to Arcadia when the Arcadian Sidhe arrived on Earth. They're similar to Lost's Fetches in that they're linked to a specific changeling and have powers based on that link; but they're also like Lost's changelings in that they have escaped from Arcadia and are bent on revenge.)
        Well, in DA Fae kidnapped mortals turned into Changellings - after some time, in a slow process. After a century or two perhaps.

Also, the Fae would kidnap babies, but replace those with a Fae baby, taking the place of the kidnapped one.

And the helpless humans would rise their Fae baby as their own, nothing knowing any better.

And both would turn into Changelling.

Just a quick recap for DA Fae: there are 3 "races" of Fae, the Firstborn, who either are the children of 2 Firstborn parents themselves, or were born directly from the "Mists", the magic of the world; thus those are the ones most infused with Glamour. The second type are the Inanime, either children of also inanime parents or, born from the magic of the elements. It's like a pile of dirt or bucket of water becoming alive due to them being touched by that magic of the mists. And the third "race" of Fae are the Changelling, who either have Changellings parents or are Fae who were "exchanged " by human babies. In this case, both the kidnapped and the replacement baby becomes a Changelling.

Comment

Thank you @Black Fox, I appreciate that. I tend to incorporate some Werewolf and Mage lore in my Changeling games, including struggles with Fomorian nastiness and (often wyrmish) nasties. So I have significant overlap.

Enchanted Mortals are an occasional focus of my games, as I use them as pregens, backup PC's and as quick options for replacement characters. And if handled well, can be very interesting characters. I put together a free doc for playing Enchanted Mortals over at my Patreon here.

As for fae that steal mortals, this is a great opportunity for interesting npc's and stories. And can be great for crossovers too. For instance: I treat the "Aelida, The Lady of Feathers from MtA as a powerful fae spirit in CtD. This well-meaning being is in the habit of snatching mortals that take her fancy and turning them into exotic songbirds that she keeps in a vast aviary. These transformed souls retain their human minds, but only a few can speak human languages anymore. Aelida cannot comprehend that her "pretties" are anything but happy. She also acts as a benefactor for Enchanted Humans.

“Humpty had always sat on walls, it was his way.”
          Jasper Fforde, The Big Over Easy

Comment

Thank you @http://forum.theonyxpath.com/member/3046-black-fox"]Black Fox[/URL], I appreciate that. I tend to incorporate some Werewolf and Mage lore in my Changeling games, including struggles with Fomorian nastiness and (often wyrmish) nasties. So I have significant overlap.

Enchanted Mortals are an occasional focus of my games, as I use them as pregens, backup PC's and as quick options for replacement characters. And if handled well, can be very interesting characters. I put together a free doc for playing Enchanted Mortals over at my Patreon here.

As for fae that steal mortals, this is a great opportunity for interesting npc's and stories. And can be great for crossovers too. For instance: I treat the "Aelida, The Lady of Feathers from MtA as a powerful fae spirit in CtD. This well-meaning being is in the habit of snatching mortals that take her fancy and turning them into exotic songbirds that she keeps in a vast aviary. These transformed souls retain their human minds, but only a few can speak human languages anymore. Aelida cannot comprehend that her "pretties" are anything but happy. She also acts as a benefactor for Enchanted Humans.
            Well, the matter of fact is, those birds might actually be happy... Since the process could lobotomize a part of their self, even if they retain their intellects and memories.

It would be something as a "LSD happy" thou, instead of true happiness...

Comment

This well-meaning being is in the habit of snatching mortals that take her fancy and turning them into exotic songbirds that she keeps in a vast aviary. These transformed souls retain their human minds, but only a few can speak human languages anymore. Aelida cannot comprehend that her "pretties" are anything but happy. She also acts as a benefactor for Enchanted Humans.
              I like this. First, it reminds a lot of how Matthew Cable was kept as a raven by Dream in the comic book Sandman. That can be a good model of how some enchanted and transformed people might act. Second, there are obviously lots of fairy tales that have a prince or princess transformed into an animal that can only be rescued if another human acts in a certain way (The Frog Prince, East of the Sun and West of the Moon, The Six Swans, and many others).

Because I want to keep to theme that the fae are a dying people, and contact with the Dreaming lessens as mankind becomes rational and advanced, I can't have fae going around and kidnapping many people in the modern day. But there can cases where these transformed people have been there for centuries, and more limited cases of someone who has been kidnapped (and perhaps done in ways that do not require a stock.) It would make an interesting depiction of a Lost One.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                Because I want to keep to theme that the fae are a dying people, and contact with the Dreaming lessens as mankind becomes rational and advanced, I can't have fae going around and kidnapping many people in the modern day. But there can cases where these transformed people have been there for centuries, and more limited cases of someone who has been kidnapped (and perhaps done in ways that do not require a stock.) It would make an interesting depiction of a Lost One.
                In my head canon, I also see the fae (particularly the Kithain) are a dwindling race. But being immortal, the fae don't often see the need for alarm. However, humans fascinate the fae with their mayfly life-spans and their mortal passion for individuality. Quite often this fascination leads to half-mortal children and Changelings (both those in DA: Fae and CtD). This has the benefit of infusing a bit stability on the otherwise Wyld infused fae, who may lose their sense of individuality otherwise. There is also the added benefit of using such part-fae children rather than a true fae spirit as a teind (tithe) to Malfeas or other dreadful doom.

Of course, the Fomorians don't bother with any of that. For them, humans are animals, to be ravaged, enslaved, exterminated or kept as pets as they desire.
                Last edited by MythAdvocate; 08-04-2022, 08:38 AM.

Comment

In my head canon, I also see the fae (particularly the Kithain) are a dwindling race. But being immortal, the fae don't often see the need for alarm. However, humans fascinate the fae with their mayfly life-spans and their mortal passion for individuality. Quite often this fascination leads to half-mortal children and Changelings (both those in DA: Fae and CtD). This has the benefit of infusing a bit stability on the otherwise Wyld infused fae, who may lose their sense of individuality otherwise.
                  My preference would be something a little more desperate in order to create a sense that the fae are not just a dwindling race, but a dying race. Sure fae technically reincarnate through their changeling hosts, but even the "immortal" fae can be undone. I also like the idea that some of the Dauntain are Nihilists that believe the Undoing is a good thing, as they believe it ejects the fae from an inhospitable realm back to Arcadia. Ideas like that can only be generated out of desperation.

And in folklore, there is a persistent theme that the fairies either find it hard to conceive children, give birth, or keep them alive afterwards. There are lots of stories concerning the need of the fae to use human midwives or wetnurses taken into fairyland and temporarily enchanted to do their jobs. That's hard to simulate currently because the game already has everyone be born human. The race is now propagated through changelings or kinain in the mortal world, and they obviously don't give birth in fairyland. I wonder though if two changelings decide to have a child and raise their child in fairyland, what would the effect be and whether I could use that as a scenario?

Or maybe their kidnapped enchanted mortal lovers, whom they will not release back into the mortal world, are the ones who give birth. But there is something about the nature of the Dreaming that makes it difficult and dangerous to carry a child to term?

There is also the added benefit of using such part-fae children rather than a true fae spirit as a teind (tithe) to Malfeas or other dreadful doom.

Of course, the Fomorians don't bother with any of that. For them, humans are animals, to be ravaged, enslaved, exterminated or kept as pets as they desire.
                  I hadn't considered using Malfeas as the "Hell" where fairies send their tithe of souls. I suppose it would be easy to reconcile the concept and the setting with the idea that it is only a secret conspiracy of fae (involved with the Shadow Court?) allied with the Fomorians who kidnap people and send them. These Fomorians in Malfeas would not be the actual Elder Darks, but their servants and lieutenants. They'd be Sauron to their leader Morgoth. Or perhaps not technically Fomorian, but Malfean beings closely aligned with them. That may be a distinction without a difference. Of course, we'd need to know what the benefits of the exchange would be to both sides.

Maybe there is a special kind of fomori that can be created in such a way? Something that would provide antagonists not just for Changeling, but also Garou (particularly packs of Stag). (Perhaps this was the origin of the first ever fomori, thus explaining the term being tied to the Fomorians?)

But what benefit would the fae who do it receive? Obviously the Fomorians in Malfeas receiving these mortals are acting as patrons or benefactors of sorts. But what aid can they provide? Contacts and allies among the Adhene and Thallian?

Comment

Ah, I get that approach. The long goodbye of conditional immortality.

I run Changeling games these days, and the characters have a somewhat more hopeful outlook (though this may change). The present party is looking to get off-world, out into the Dreaming after royally angering an Apophis Cult in Manhattan. So they have gotten ahold of a Nocker aether-ship, and are taking off the weirder vistas. Unfortunately, Apophis has far reaching coils...

In the areas where they are headed, Enchanted Mortals have a significant presence. I will be posting further info on all of this in the near future and on my patreon.

Comment

Working...
                    X