Accordance: A Social History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accordance: A Social History

This is a project I've been whittling away at for a while. My intent is to put it up here in installments for the interest of those assembled.

_______

“I'm afraid you'll have to turn up that microphone some more, son. I can't speak so loudly as I used to. Like the song says, 'Silence like a cancer grows.' One of those things is going to kill me before the other does. That's why someone needs to hear this, the whole of it, before it all just fades away...”

-Zelda Skeller, Sluagh

“This is a story that hasn't been told by many. No one I know has ever tried to write it down. Why would we? It only happened forty years ago. Memory is a funny thing though, especially among our kind. To most people nowadays the War is just 'Why things are the way they are.' Everyone picks a side on it but nobody really thinks about it harder than that. When was the last time you talked to an Accordance veteran? The Forgetting hits us pretty hard as a group, and before too much longer only the winners will be left to write the history. So this is what happened to me and the people I knew, do something useful with it.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“Nobody really knew what the make of the Sidhe reappearing. At first a lot of us honestly didn't believe it. You might as well have said Apollo brought aliens back from the moon. They kind of did. You heard about these elfin, angelic dudes crashing a party and you assumed it was drugs. You never really took it seriously until you finally saw one. It really was kind of like seeing an alien. I wasn't big into sci-fi then, but I've read about 'first contact' situations since. This was a lot like that, and it really couldn't have gone much worse.”

-Elise Kennedy, Clurichaun

“You have to understand, it was just as strange for us. We didn't understand where we were and we barely understood where we'd come from. Taking mortal shapes helped a little but created its own set of problems. It was like walking into a play having read all the lines but none of the stage directions. We could use things like telephones and cars, but the idea of them was still confusing. Then there was the problem of Sovereign. A lot of us used it carelessly, without thinking. These forms were so new to us that we hadn't considered how easily word could be wed to Glamour, nor how its use would offend those it effected.”

-Gabriel Garnier ap Gwydion, Sidhe

“I've heard people say later it was the moon landing that made it made it happen, that brought all this dreaming back into the world. You could've fooled me. Nixon was president, I was watching the Great Society and the Summer of Love crumble out from under us. The specter of endless winter seemed all too real again, but when I heard about the Sidhe... it seemed like there might still be hope. I thought maybe this is a sign, maybe they can turn things around. Sometimes I wonder if they did, if I got what I wanted and at the end of the day I didn't like what it cost.”

-Hobart 'Hobnails' Zachary, Boggan

“It may seem hard to believe, but even a lot of Unseelie welcomed the return of the Sidhe. The summer and spring Kithain had ruled for six hundred years, wasn't it time for a change? The Sidhe came from Arcadia, the beating heart of the Dreaming. Surely they'd want to go back to traditional roles of Seelie and Unseelie, each ruling in its season. They had Unseelie houses, and we thought we could count on them as allies. The old fault lines ran so deep we never expected new ones would form. We were so preoccupied with our cold war we didn't see the embers lighting under our feet.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap
    Last edited by Caitiff Primogen; 05-28-2015, 09:42 AM.

“It started differently everywhere. Nobody can agree on who hit who first. Me I think neither side needed much provocation. For us it was what happened to Lyra. She never had any fear of them and she made friends easy, so she was kind of our ambassador to the new kids. For a little while everything was fine. We even thought it was cute when she started seeing Alex, one of the ap Fiona. Then... it's still hard to talk about. Lyra... She... She said Alex forced her one night, using his... abilities. We were shocked, but not as shocked as what happened when word got around. 'He didn't know what he was using.' 'It wasn't their first time anyway.' 'She's a Satyr, she threw herself at him.' All things we heard. It was the last straw. Emotions were running high, and after the bars closed one night we decided to go teach Alex a lesson. I'm not proud of what we did, but fuck me if I'm going to apologize for it. Even now.”

“I wasn't adjusting well when we first returned. Everything was so cold. I could feel the clinging film of Banality everywhere I went. No matter how many hot showers I took I just couldn't get warm, could never be clean. I lost weight, too much, and some days it seemed like all I did was cry. Alexander was my rock. He always helped me put it back together again, and never judged me for letting it fall apart. What they did to him... I don't care what happened before, it wasn't right. They put him in the hospital for four days, and when he woke up... One of them had a piece of pipe. Iron. I'm sure they'll say they didn't know, but how could they not? When Alexander woke up he wasn't the same. They may not have put him in the ground, but they killed the man I knew. They killed my brother.”

-Aeris Morgan ap Fiona, Sidhe

“I tried to stay out of it as much as I could. I thought of myself as a pacifist, wanting to build something not burn it down. I got the name 'Hobnails' when I was in VISTA, repairing shoes for all the kids who couldn't afford new ones. Even after the funding dried up and my tour was over I tried to stick around and keep the community service alive. I liked working with kids, and I kept tabs on the Childlings that I knew. That's how I discovered the first one trapped in Forgetting. When I asked the others what happened they said he'd been “eaten by a monster.” Then another one happened, and another one. What scared me more was that the ones who'd seen it wouldn't talk about it. The more I tried to get in the more their fear pushed me out.”

“Finery and filigree said the fur trees, beasties and boggarts said the buggers. They laughed, but we listened. They knew enough to know that things were missing, but not enough to know what they were. A door swings three ways and someone lost the key. Someone's in the house and we don't know who they are.”

-Sannyasi, Pooka

“It took me weeks to hunt down the the thing that was attacking them. I'm not going to talk about it, or what happened to it, because I understand now what they went through, and it really is better just to forget. Some of them got better, at least for a while. They were broken though, and a lot of them eventually just faded away. This thing, this monster, was from someplace deep in the Dreaming. It could only have gotten loose when deep trods were opened. I didn't blame the Sidhe for that, but I did start to blame them for not taking some responsibility. If they really wanted to set things to rights they could start with what came with them.”

Comment

“At first I was a bit uneasy, yeah. You heard a lot of things. Rumor is just that though, and I've never been one to treat gossip as gospel. Then I met Gabe, and boy did he make an impression. I was always a big awkward kid, so I tried my best to stick up for the little awkward kids. Mostly this meant I picked a lot of fights and bit off more than I could chew. One day I'm eating asphalt and I think 'Now you've really done it. You're not getting away this time.' Suddenly, like a one man charge of the Light Brigade, this guy comes in swinging. I had to respect that. That's what made me fight for him. Not any oaths or magic. At the end of the day it all comes down to respect.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

“I never believed it was about noble against commoner. Maybe more of my Kith have title than others, but that doesn't mean we're born to the purple. Nobility is earned and honor won. Sir Jensen is only one example, but if you ask me he is the greatest. You'll not find any other Kithain alive, maybe no other in history, who so perfectly embodies an ideal. There could be no victory without Sir Jensen, there could be no Concordia. No sir, there is nothing 'common' about that man at all.”

“Like anything else it came down to class. The kids on campus who turned Sidhe all had one thing in common: a silver spoon up their ass. That doesn't sound like a random sample to me. Maybe it wasn't their prejudice, maybe they picked it up from the bodies they Shanghai'd. Either way, the fraternity brats moved into the Freehold like it was their clubhouse and started laying down rules. We were the riff-raff, the scholarship scum, and in the natural order of things we were expected to be silent and grateful. The worst part was we couldn't even ignore their fascist self-serving dictum. They'd turned our own home against us. So we burned it down. Let them hold court in the ashes.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“The fire at the Collegia Freehold got everyone's attention. It made national news, even as regular arson, and enough people could read between the lines. Suddenly this wasn't just a local thing anymore. Something bigger was brewing. The stakes were getting higher, too. Sooner or later things were going to escalate out control, and there was precious little room left for those in the middle.”

-Zelda Skeller, Sluagh

“That was the first time I heard about Bill Fa. Right away I knew he was going to be in front of the pack, so I hit the big slab on my chopper and went to go swear oaths. I'd rather shake the hand of a warlord than bend knee to a king.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

Comment

“I refused to take a side. For one thing I didn't like the belligerents in either group. For another, picking a side means you think there will be a winning one. If this turned into a war there would only be losers. I'm a Sluagh, to us all death is in vain...”

Zelda Skeller, Sluagh

“A heartbeat pounds like war drums, and Glamour marches in step. Dreamers sick with hate give their fever to the dreamed. A thirsty man drowns all the easier.”

-Sannyasi, Pooka

“We were wondering what they would do after the fire. Most of what we imagined was dramatic and far fetched. We were still playing a game. The reality was much simpler and more serious. They sicced the cops on us, hiding behind complicit institutions like rich kids always do. Gary Gray was the only one they could pin it on, and even though we all volunteered to confess in his place, he insisted on being the one to take the fall. He knew prison was a death sentence for Kithain, but he marched off in handcuffs quoting A Tale of Two Cities.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“Was condemning that boy right? I don't know, what about setting the Freehold on fire? They broke the law and violated the Escheat. When common thugs battered away my brother's seeming they got away scot-free. To them Gray was a martyr, to me he was justice.”

“The Sidhe were sending us a message. 'We can fuck with you whenever and however we want.' If that wasn't driven home yet they made sure of it when they showed up at our new place. The nobility demanded we turn over any Chimera we owned, declaring us enemies of the Dreaming and claiming Right of Rescue over any of its objects. We told them all the hells to go to, but they promised to take them by any means necessary. That was when I knew we had to get organized, and that's how the Common Front was born.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“See, none of these kids had ever been in trouble before. Not real trouble. They weren't ready to roll with the punches. The Sidhe were warrior-kings. Machiavellis and MacArthurs, always two moves ahead. The only way to beat them is not to play, at least not by their rules. So I started training the guys and gals in the Common Front. Lock-picking, acid-tripping, knife-fighting. You know, Boy Scout stuff.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

“Gabe wanted me to go check out the house. Sure I was muscle, but I think it was more about being a voice of reason. The 'Common Front', as they'd started calling themselves, were unpredictable. They had Chimerical weapons and after the arson nobody knew what they'd do with them. They didn't play well with the titled, so I was supposed to try and talk them down. If that didn't work... well, I'm still plenty big.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

Comment

Do you mind if I cross-post this to a different forum? Great stuff. Thank you! ^^

Comment

Not at all. Thank you. There are more installments in rough draft. I've been distracted by other gaming obligations and that silly work thing I do all day. Will make an effort to get those up sooner rather than later.

Comment

“This was a pre-digital world but word still managed to travel fast. The Kithain world isn't that big. Of course we supported Bill Fa... at least in principle. What to do about it was another question. Did we throw in our lot with the Common Front? Were we really all one side in a bigger fight? We had our own problems at home, but it wasn't open war yet. Some people still hoped we could bury the hatchet before it was sharpened. We ended up deciding on a non-decision. Those who wanted to go, went. Those who wanted to stay, stayed. Democratic, but meaningless. Me? I stayed. No, I don't know whether it would have made a difference. We were just kids then, we weren't a movement. Not yet anyway.”

-Elise Kennedy, Clurichuan

“I notice that Mr. Gabe Gwydion sent his henchman rather than face us himself. That was typical. I felt bad for the big lug, he couldn't see he was being used. I'll give him this, he really seemed like he didn't want to fight. I could see the callouses on his knuckles though, and at the end of the day he was telling us the same thing the Sidhe were. We couldn't submit to that.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“The others didn't immediately get that they were casing us. It was hard for me to miss though. Guys across the street and at the end of the block, boxing us in. Pretty soon the trap closed. Three of us got mugged going for groceries, the the chimerical weapons started appearing. Sentries prowled around us, harassment turning into a siege. The Siege of Dega Street.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

“Look, I tried. You can't talk sense into some people. If they didn't have weapons then what were they hiding? They had to be up to something, especially with that spider-character they had lurking around. This was a Manson family waiting to happen, and we had to do something first.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

“Bullshot! Their goshdanged goons weren't just around Dega Street, they were all over the frolicking freehold! If you didn't swear all sorts of oaths you couldn't get within a hundred yards of it. Not only that, they'd run your sass right out of town if you didn't. You were either a loyal subject or a rebel. Loyal to what though? A rebel against what?”

-Cait Sanchez, Nocker

“The Sidhe had changed something. Maybe not intentionally, maybe not even knowingly, but they changed it. It wasn't just the Sovereign. The strange traditions and folkways of theirs, something alien and Arcadian, suddenly became the new law. The Dreaming itself enforced it. What was to them a perfectly natural order couldn't have been more different from the way things were, what was to us the way things had always been. The universe had been rearranged around us and we were stuck in the lurch.”

-Hobart “Hobnails” Zachary, Boggan

“We couldn't go to the Freehold, so we went to Dega Street. Or we tried. No sooner did we cross the invisible cordon then we got jumped. They weren't Kithain, but they were enchanted, and they had cold iron. Which I'm sure was just a frolicking coincidence. We were ready for a fight though, and we'd about run them off when this Sidhe walked up all calm and started talking. I could feel the Glamour in the words suddenly holding me in place, choking me. I thought I was done for, but then Spider appeared. Not everyone agrees with what he did, but as far as I'm concerned he saved our lives.”

-Cait Sanchez, Nocker

“The thing about the Sidhe is that they love to talk, and the more you let them talk the more dangerous they get. A cobra with a silver tongue still has fangs. If you want to beat the Sidhe you cannot let them talk. Ever. So I did what came naturally and I bit it out.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

Comment

This is fantastic! ^_^

"May you live in interesting times"

Storyteller of The Hakura Chronicle

Comment

“It is a simple fact of logistics that in order to mount a siege one must have three-to-one superiority of manpower. In order to secure that ratio some of the court's subalterns began recruiting and employing enchanted mortals. This tactic proved... Well, there were problems. As I'm sure you well know. When they get their first taste of the Dreaming mortals can be unpredictable. That doesn't excuse what that Redcap thug did though. Maiming that poor boy. All it did was prove what we'd known all along. That this so-called 'Common Front' was dangerous.”

“The show was on at that point. No getting in or out without running the gauntlet. Day and night the block was surrounded. Either would-be knights rattling chimerical sabers or mundane roughnecks on a Glamour trip. There were almost two dozen of us now with the newcomers counted, and quarters were getting tight. There was some talk about abandoning it entirely, just rushing the barricades and making a break for it. We couldn't be sure everyone would make it out if we tried though, and we weren't going to leave anyone behind. So the lines were drawn.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“It didn't exactly run in the papers, but even in my part of the world we were watching Dega Street. This was the biggest flashpoint since the Sidhe returned, and the first glimpse of what things might look like if the worst should happen. Part of me still wanted to stay out. To just mind my own business and take care of my kids. I wasn't a fighter, after all. Somehow though I still felt that pesky, helpful urge. The grumble in my gut that said I needed to do... something.”

“Bill put us in a bad position. We had to keep them from doing any more damage or threatening the freehold. The only way we could do that was by keeping them corralled on Dega Street. We didn't want to have to storm the place either, but we couldn't lock them down forever. If they didn't give up peaceably and submit themselves to the Escheat there was nothing else I could do but knock their little castle over.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

“That's when the they cut the power and water. Classic move from the playbook of third world coups. The candles went quick, along with what we had left to drink. We were fighting so much, stumbling around in the dark, all badly in need of showers, getting dehydrated, that they almost broke us right there. Necessity is the mother of invention though, and I'm her crazy glitch of a step-daughter. I cannibalized anything in reach for parts, cobbling together a pretty goshdanged good rain collector and water purifier. Next came the weapons. Those were some of my best work. With a little hammering and Glamour I made pans, chair legs, and old blankets into axes, maces, and mail-coats fit for any Sidhe knight.”

-Cait Sanchez, Nocker

Last edited by Caitiff Primogen; 12-29-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

This is so damn good. I'm riveted. You should submit it to OPP.

Comment

“Took a couple weeks after they turned out the lights for things to reach a head. About damn time. They sent some Sluagh punk to spy on us. Snitches come in every stripe. He wormed his way across the yard at night and twisted himself through the slit window of the cellar. Rhea found him in the pantry about to set our provisions on fire. Then there was a lot of yelling and tackling, trying to get a hold of the little bastard while he made a break for it. He wriggled free of everyone though and tore through the screen door on his way out. He didn't manage to light a match, but most of our food was soaked in lighter fluid. They hadn't smoked us out, but they might yet starve us.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

“Took me a while to figure out what to do. Something that could lend aid without being party to violence. Seemed like a food drop was humanitarian without being political. Just like the Berlin Airlift. At least that's what I told myself. I've always been pretty good with Dreamcraft. Only took me a few hours to hoof it to the other coast. Ducking through the lines wrapping the house, that was tricky. My people come from moonshiner stock though, and suffice it to say I found a way around. The guys inside were a little, ah, shocked. Which is a nice way of saying they jumped me. Guess they'd had some unwanted guests.”

“I still can't tell if he had the worst timing in the world or the best. After I stopped strangling him I could've kissed him. Guy was like Santa Claus the way people crowded around the sack he brought. I don't think I've ever salivated so much over Dinty Moore and Twinkies. Said his name was Hobe. I didn't learn about 'Hobnails' until much later. Even then he seemed... I don't know, worn? Like he was being crushed by the weight of wanting to do good. Maybe that's why things went the way they did with him. All I know is that he barely let us thank him as he left the same night he came in.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“Sunday night I hear that someone's leaving the house, then before anyone can do anything he's gone. Slipped through our fingers before we could even make a fist. That was when I knew the siege had failed. We couldn't keep the place locked down, and if we couldn't do that there was only one thing left. A lot of people put the blame at Gabe's feet but I'll tell you right now that I was the one who made the call. We were going in.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

Comment

On the edge of my seat here.
                        The parallels to real world history of the era are especially fitting.

Comment

“I rounded up as many guys as I could. The enchanted weren't much good to us inside so we left them guarding the cordon. I wish I could say I had a big game plan, but I was improvising. So much of this whole damn war ended up being improvising. I sent a half dozen guys around the back and about another half dozen to break into the cellar, then took the rest and went straight for the front door.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

“Pow! I honestly thought for a second they'd run a car into the stoop. If anyone wasn't on their feet already they were after that. That big guy was trying to kick the door in, and if it weren't for one heck of a Weaver Ward on the frame I don't think it would have lasted more than a blow. It was warping and splintering though, the sonovagun was that goshdang strong. The hinges ended up being the weak spot, and the whole slab came sailing in as one piece. We'd talked about what we'd do if they came in but that all went to shoot in a second. Everyone was swinging in the dark. Cantrips flashed and weapons clashed, but mostly it was fists. Just a big blind bar fight.”

-Cait Sanchez, Nocker

“Believe it or not I was on the crapper when it all started. That's always the way with important stuff, isn't it? By the time I got out some of them were just tearing apart rooms. I don't know if they were looking for the chimera they said they were after or if they were just caught up in the spirit of breaking shit. I was halfway down the stairs with my belt half-fastened just in time to see the big lug toss Bill through a wall. I see that look, it wasn't a thick wall, those houses were more cardboard than wood. The jig was up, we had to move. The back door was still warded up tight but they had guys all over the rear porch. More goons were still coming in the front and I heard running coming up the basement steps. I grabbed Bill by the collar and dragged him half-conscious towards the roof.”

Spiderwolf, Redcap

“People started barricading themselves in rooms and breaking out windows. I knew the cordon would grab some of them if they escaped but I didn't want to take any chances. I sent Greg with some guys to take the upstairs and follow anyone fleeing. In that respect what happened was my fault. I take responsibility for it. Doesn't matter what anyone else says.”

-Vick Jensen, Troll

“By the time we got the attic Bill was almost on two feet again, so I threw him out onto the roof ahead of me. Before I could make the jump though one of them tackled me from the behind and we were tumbling through boxes and insulation. Between the knuckles in my eyes I saw the second one follow Bill onto the roof. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I'd been a little quicker.”

-Spiderwolf, Redcap

“My vision was just clearing from the fresh air when he bowled me over. I remember sliding and rolling down the shingles toward the gutter. He had to let go of me to catch himself and I managed to find my footing somehow. For a minute it was like ballet, or an Errol Flynn movie. Swords drawn at the precipice, back and forth. I could see in his eyes he was having... as much fun as I was. Then something flew past my face and I threw my arms up. A second later we was falling backwards and I was trying to reach him. I couldn't, and I'm the one who has to live with that.”

-Bill Fa, Eshu

“I saw the two of them climb out the window. It was hard to see well without any lights but I could make out the scuffle. I saw the Eshu draw back for a killing stroke and so I threw a cantrip to hobble his aim. He twisted though and knocked the boy off his balance. I tried to cast something to catch him but my fingers wouldn't work. I felt like I was kneading molasses while watching him fall in slow motion. He just... stopped when he hit the ground. It was all over, and it was my fault.”

Comment

“Maybe it was something in the Dreaming. Maybe it was just the sound he made when he fell. Suddenly everything seemed to be in focus for the first time. All the wreckage, real and Chimerical. All the spilt blood and wasted Glamour. The pointlessness of it. Those of us that hadn't made a break for it gave up, and just like that Dega Street was over. The crowd dispersed. The ones that ran vanished into the night, and the ones that were left walked away in chains.”

-Cait Sanchez, Nocker

“I honestly don't know what was worse, the way young Gregory died or the vulgar lies we had to tell about it. A college party. Excess of drink. Not what he deserved. It hardened my resolve to deal harshly with the people who'd put him on that roof, these Common Front criminals. There was a place in the Far Dreaming, an abandoned fortress of deep moats and much dreaded dungeons, the Blaec-dun. It would be their prison until the fullness of their crimes against the Escheat could be assessed.”

“If breaking up the Common Front was supposed to head off an insurrection, it failed. No sooner did word get out then Common Fronts were popping up everywhere. It was like a franchise. The New Common Front, the United Common Front, the Free Common Front. I was swept up in it too, suddenly finding myself vice chairwoman of the Revolutionary Changeling Way. I didn't pick the name. The hard part was getting all these would-be Ches to actually work together. We had organization but no leadership. Everyone seemed to agree that they'd follow Bill Fa, but he'd gone into hiding after Dega Street and no one knew where he was.”

“I was a fool. A damned fool. I thought I could get involved and still keep my conscience clean. That isn't how life works though, and I should have known that. There was still hope though, I believed. I desperately believed. Like I said, I'm pretty good at getting around and going between. I could be, I could act as, you know, an ambassador. Maybe I could still make everyone see sense. I figured if I waved the olive branch around enough then sooner or later someone would take it.”

“After Dega Street I was sure the worst of both sides had won. I stopped talking to anyone, not that I'd ever talked much to begin with. I was content to let them burn the world down while I passed the rest of my changeling years in solitary judgment. Still I don't know how Hobe found me, but he knocked on my door when I'd just about resolved never to see another soul again. His passion for peace was infectious, and it made me a bit ashamed of my indignant isolation. I agreed to help him make a meeting, and I put him in touch with a Sidhe I thought might listen.”

-Zelda Skeller, Sluagh

“The first thing I remember when it all came into focus was looking at a beautiful temple. Resplendent architecture perfectly married to the moss and vines that crept over it with age. A treasure worthy of Arcadia. It was... sublime. Then someone shouted at me to get down. The NVA was shelling our position. The next months I spent relearning what I needed to know to survive. The banality of military routine interrupted by the terror of enemy contact. Glamour was scarce, and so even though I hated it, I drank the fear. The taste of war is bitter, and no amount of 'glory' can sweeten it. When I got hit by shrapnel I couldn't stop screaming for days. Slivers of pig iron, colder than hell, embedded in the meat of my leg. Took multiple surgeries to get it all out but the doctor said I'd make a full recovery. Never did though. Therapist said its psycho-somatic. Phantom pain. I know its a wound in my seeming, one that will never heal. I came back to the States just in time to watch the war follow me home. I was determined not to let that happen.”

-Nathan Brown ap Dougal, Sidhe

“I'm not sure where I first heard someone mention a conference, but I'm quite certain I laughed at them. A parley? A pow-wow? With a bloodthirsty rabble who had done nothing to earn our trust? Who were now double-murderers? I remember thinking I'd sooner die by iron, and that planted the seed of an idea that grew more attractive the longer I entertained it.”

Comment

The sidhe are really villains in this piece. I'm absolutely rooting for them to get killed with cold iron now...good job! I'm more invested in this than most TV shows.

Comment

Working...
                              X