Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

Poorly written fluff?
    Which'd be ironic, given that all three's extended writeups in.Book of Houses 2 were by the same writers.

I think they were going for different things with Leanhaun and Balor. Leanhaun were written for sympathy, Balor weren't - they don't apologise for what they are or what they believe.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      Oh another thing on House Balor?

Why is it they seem Far more EVIL then Ailil or Leahaun

Leahaun in particular does some sick shit, but I find them more sympathetic then Balor.

Because Ailil aren't evil. They are Villain protagonists.

See Lelouch from Code Geass if you need to understand Ailil

Comment

Looking at the Balor writeup again has got me wondering if there was some Tzimisce influence in there, serving as template for the splat assigned 'unabashedly monstrous' - not Vicissitude, but the brutal rulers of the Carpathian nights.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
          Looking at the Balor writeup again has got me wondering if there was some Tzimisce influence in there, serving as template for the splat assigned 'unabashedly monstrous' - not Vicissitude, but the brutal rulers of the Carpathian nights.

Not really. Its more a straight up "what would traitor house be" Honestly one think I hope C20 does is better differentiate between House Balor and thallan Sidhe.(or introduces house Lugh and makes Balor the Thallain gathering)

Comment

Know I've been bumping a lot of old threads lately, but thought a bit on House Balor

C20 changed it in 2 ways.

1: House Balor Can be Seelie now, thoughts on how a Seelie Balor will behave?

Think it will be as an extreme break away from the cliche "Soldier of his House" ? or that he'll find a way to honor his house even in Exile.

2: Partially as a Consequence of 1, I've Inferred the Conspiracy, I created this thread around originally, no longer exists.

Comment

If you combine the information on BoH 2 with the C20 info, I really have a hard time seeing a truly Seelie member of House Balor. Their origins and blood are so tied into the fomorians that I don't think any of them could honestly follow the tenets of the Seelie court.

Visit my freehold for Changeling links, settings, art, and other goodies.
              The Shepherd's Freehold

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
                If you combine the information on BoH 2 with the C20 info, I really have a hard time seeing a truly Seelie member of House Balor. Their origins and blood are so tied into the fomorians that I don't think any of them could honestly follow the tenets of the Seelie court.
                Which is exactly why I do not understand why House Balor was changed in such manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post

Which is exactly why I do not understand why House Balor was changed in such manner.

My guess? to make it more playable.

same reason why Leahaun now doesnt HAVE to commit Rhapsody.

Comment

C20 explicitly makes the Unseelie Court not a Fifth Column for the Formorians but rather part of the Tuatha Dream.

Comment

So thats my answer

any ideas what a Seelie Balor will probaly do with himself? Devote himself to this or that impossible quest? hoping to die?

Comment

My guess? to make it more playable.

same reason why Leahaun now doesnt HAVE to commit Rhapsody.
                        I simply don't see how making them able to be Seelie would make them any more playable than they have been. Unseelie are and have always been perfectly playable.

@ Lian
                        Still I don't see how that is really relevant. Unseelie are part of the Tuathan dream but it is also closest part to the Fomorian dream, which is why even Thallain have one as a secondary legacy. So all in all I do think retaining Balors inability to be dominantly Seelie is still quite appropriate.

Comment

I simply don't see how making them able to be Seelie would make them any more playable than they have been. Unseelie are and have always been perfectly playable.

@ Lian
                          Still I don't see how that is really relevant. Unseelie are part of the Tuathan dream but it is also closest part to the Fomorian dream, which is why even Thallain have one as a secondary legacy. So all in all I do think retaining Balors inability to be dominantly Seelie is still quite appropriate.

Old house balor "We serve the Formorians and should be caught anyone who see our house colors should punch us in the face"

New House Balor, "We are Fighty Warrior House! We serve no one!" There's nothing intrinsically Seelie or Unseelie about this.

So thats my answer

any ideas what a Seelie Balor will probaly do with himself? Devote himself to this or that impossible quest? hoping to die?
                          Seelie Balor are basically like Seelie Redcaps except there's no joke version of them. They kick ass and take names. You mock them they never forget it. They are everything Frightening about the Seelie Court. They never Forgive. They never Forget. They are honorable warrior guy who will dominate and opress you. They are Tyrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post

Because being Unseelie is no more tied to the Fomorians now than being Seelie is?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Old house balor "We serve the Formorians and should be caught anyone who see our house colors should punch us in the face"

New House Balor, "We are Fighty Warrior House! We serve no one!" There's nothing intrinsically Seelie or Unseelie about this.
                              Focus from serving Fomorians to being independent, which is barely noticeable change considering House is still led by the same person from his fortress defended by his BSD guards, can be done quite nicely even while being Unseelie, I personally just don't see how having a few rare Seelie members does any difference other than diluting the Houses legacy.

Being Seelie or Unseelie is not about serving Fomorians. But it did still enforce the bloodties to the Fomorians that is the core of House Balor by leaving them with two ties to their didtant forebears, firstly by their challenge (also called deformity by the lesser Houses) and secondly by their nature. Now with C20 them being permanently Unseelie would still retain it's meaning of enforcing the Blood ties but would still make them clearly tied to the Tuathan dream as they do not have a Nightmare legacy.

It's just an issue of flavour and I think them having occasional Seelie members dilutes the flavour of the House.

I know it might be an issue that belongs to the YMMV category but since they have always been my favourite House this change just bugs the hell out of me.

Your theme of "warrior House that server no one!" Would have been considerably more enforced by a change to their, in my opinion, poorly explained limit on willpower. They have always been depicted as beings of strong opinions, not easily cowed and taking all adversary as challenges all of which is contradictory with being universally of lower willpower. Still it is a limit I have gotten used to even if it seems contradictory with the Houses general themes but I just feel the change made dilutes those themes even more.

Comment

To understand the new House Balor, examine the Shadow Court first. The new Shadow Court is largely a Thallain conspiracy, begun by Unseelie as a gag but taken over by Thallain secretly. Which I like, except that they messed up a little by having the Unseelie start it because the Seelie refused to relinquish control.... except that during the Interregnum, the Compact stated that neither side ruled. I tweaked it a bit to be more about the Unseelie japing at the Seelie, especially in Seelie-run areas, particularly because Seelie, being about community, would likely end up in charge more often. And then the 'dumb Thallain' kept building in numbers until they took over during the French Revolution.

Unseelie members of the Shadow Court are therefore dupes for the most part, and there can even be Seelie members right now; they're mostly drawing in disgruntled fae in general, while the Thallain work from the shadows.
                                Last edited by Windthin; 09-21-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X