C20 KS Preview: Nockers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C20 KS Preview: Nockers

Matt (via Rose) posted the preview for the Nockers as an update. If you're still on the fence about supporting this grand old dame, jump off it and join the dream dance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...posts/1451513? (It's marked as visible to everyone.)

Krister M. Michl
    Writer, Recent OPP Product: Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition

It's really good. I like the write-up of the kith in general, but where it really shines is in the mechanics (birthrights, frailties) and the specifics on their description (they sound much more ghastly now, and less like clowns/mannequins). Improvised Genius is spot on--it gives the nockers a real talent for chimerical creations without preventing any other kiths also creating them through a more detailed system inspired by Infusion (I gather this will be a subsystem rather than an Art, as Matt alluded to kith-specific Arts mostly disappearing). The seemings info also gives us a nice clue about how seemings have evolved in the system, while the Unleashings info, likewise, gives us some good clues about what's coming... I'm very excited!
    Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 12-23-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
      The seemings info also gives us a nice clue about how seemings have evolved in the system, while the Unleashings info, likewise, gives us some good clues about what's coming... I'm very excited!
      The Seemings seem to be named more over mental states than age. Might that be how they are going to be done? I kinda like it, if it is to be so.

My gallery.

Comment

I dig the new Birthright. It kinda reminds me of a less-malevolent version of the goblin Birthright (from Shadow Court).

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
        (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
        ").

Comment

I'll add that I seem to be wrong about Infusion. Matt has said in the comments on the nockers preview that Infusion isn't gone (although I'm guessing it's changed). But this system for chimera creation is intuitive and allows nockers to make things without stepping on the toes of Infusion (which creates longer lasting things).

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
          I dig the new Birthright. It kinda reminds me of a less-malevolent version of the goblin Birthright (from Shadow Court).
          That could be it, yes. They felt very 'nocker-ish' to me, so it might be that each kith has their own names for the three different seemings. Seeker, for instance, doesn't necessarily sound very appropriate for a pooka or redcap.

Comment

I cannot open the link and/or anything from this kickstart page... did anybody save this excerpt?

Comment

I think that I can post this here, since it had been posted publicly originally. If not, I apologize. Here's the nocker excerpt, copied directly from the Kickstarter page:
              ---
              Nocker

“I know I know.... I've worked on the damned thing all a week and it's still not right. Maybe if you stop breathing down my neck, or better yet, just leave me the %$&# alone and I'll get it done.”
              Nockers are as well know for their legendary cynicism and bitterness as they are their master crafstmanship. They are master crafters and are widely renowned for their talent at crafting marvelous chimerical objects. However, they are fiercely individualistic and belittle anything that does not match their own ideal of artistic perfection. They prefer to create and surround themselves with treasures of mechanical wonder, rather than interact with imperfect people. When they are forced to have social contact they are eminently sarcastic with everyone around them, and blazoning critical of anyone in charge.
              The bone-trembling nervousness of beginning a new project, the unbridled joy of completing the work of art and the heart-wrenching angst of suffering through criticism – of all these things are intrinsic to the nockers. Artists, builders, crafters, and even writers all know the torment of “knowing” that their work is not good enough – that it will never be understood. And yet, they toil on, day after day, seeking perfection that they will never find. Early legends speak of goblins and kolbolds who endlessly toil deep beneath the earth, mining, smelting and crafting. And of other diminutive beings who made toys to leave for children who were good and kind. It is from these legends that nockers were born.
              Nockers are innovators to the extreme – always seeking out the newest and edgiest feats of engineering and craftsmanship. A younger nocker may explore many different styles and techniques before settling down and finding her niche, at which point she becomes known as an eccentric genius in her field. Sometimes other Kithain seek out such a master, hoping to learn from her artistry, but they must be strong of will to withstand the maestro's insults and withering criticism. Nockers have developed a complex ritual of insults and disparagements that constitute greetings and familiarity. Between nockers this is as natural as two businessmen shaking hands.
              For nockers, people are a mystery. People are mercurial and have feelings that can easily hurt and once broken they cannot be repaired in the same way as a tool or device. Truth be told, the soul of a nocker is as poetic as any of the Kithain. Perhaps their deepest secret is that they are, at heart, romantics. They deeply long to escape their flawed and obsessive lives and are drawn to music, art, and even courtly love, though of course they will never admit it. Unfortunately, nockers cannot help but treat romantic relationships like everything else and will poke and tinker until it is broken.
              Appearance: Though not as hideous as the goblins of legend, nockers are nonetheless grotesque in their own right. They tend to have thick, reddish skin and elongated arms and legs. Their long, spindly fingers have thick, knotty knuckles and sharp black talons. They have hatchet faces that appear mask-like and are pasty white with red noses and cheeks. They often paint swirls or patterns around or under the eyes or on their cheeks. They usually have stark white hair with large busy eyebrows above their rat-like eyes. A nockler's rare smile reveals a row of sharp pointed teeth. In the workshop they prefer heavy overalls, often adorned with large brass buckles and buttons. At court, they are second only to the sidhe in fashion and complexity, favoring spiral and swirling patterns. Even when at court a nocker wouldn't be caught dead without a few favorite tools on his person.
              Lifestyles: Nockers don't particularly get along with people, even other nockers for that matter. People are enigmas, with complex, fragile feelings that are completely alien to them. Therefore, they prefer homes and work places where they can practice their craft in solitude. Machine shops, engineering, body shops, and programing are all ideal occupations for nockers.
              Wonder: Nockers in this stage are curious about the inner working of everything. She would rather take things apart than put them together. Understanding of people is also a pastime wonders – they pick and poke, trying to decipher what makes people tick.
              Seeker: Absolute perfection of his skills are of the utmost important to these nockers. She spends hours and days on end in the workshop honing her craftsmanship, to the exclusion of everything else, often even forgetting to eat. The latest tech, the newest design – these are the things that interest her.
              Keeper: These nockers are usually master-craftspeople who have a great store of knowledge. They often take on apprentices and pass on their knowledge, while making the life of the poor apprentice miserable.
              Reverie: Nockers prefer to gather Glamour from builders and craftspeople who create mechanical devices and tools: blacksmiths, mechanics, metal workers, and so on. Some, modern nockers also seek out computer programmers and makers of electronic devices.
              Unleashing: Cantrips cast by nockers often leave a traces of the by-products of their craft: grease stains, the smell of burning sulfur or other unpleasant chemical smells are often common, as well are whips of foul smelling smoke. A rapping, or knocking sound is often heard; the greater the power of the cantrip louder the sound.
              Affinity: Prop
              Birthrights

Improvised Genius — Nockers are masters of whipping up items on demand with little more than random materials, some Glamour, and a highly cinematic and honestly self-serving appreciation of “science.” A nocker can improvise all manner of temporary but useful chimerical items from apparently improbable materials, such as creating a crude firearm with little more than a lightbulb, a water pistol, and a handful of nails. Such items require an Intelligence + Crafts test, with a variable difficulty and cost between 1-3 points of Glamour depending on the materials available as well as the complexity of the item. Improvised items stop working at the end of their first combat or the scene where they were created. This is a Wyrd Birthright - if the nocker wants to cobble together a purely mundane item in this fashion, they must call upon the Wyrd to do so.
              Fix-It – Nockers can fix just about anything – chimerical or mundane. Sometimes all it takes is a kick and a few harsh words to scare an machine into working again. To fix a device the nocker must make a successful Intelligence + Crafts or Manipulation + Intimidation roll. The difficulty can range from 5 (for a simple problem in a simple device) to 10 (for a difficulty problem in a complex machine). Nockers suffer -1 die to their roll for any modern electrical device.
              Nocker craftspeople can choose a specialty during character creation; they can choose to specialize in either anachronistic or modern devices. They get -1 to the difficulty when attempting to fix a device related to their specialty.
              This birthright functions normally in the presence of mortals.
              Frailty : Flaws. Nockers strive for perfection in everything they make, and yet they can never succeed. No matter how many successes a nocker rolls when creating something, there is always a minor (but irreparable) flaw.
              Stereotypes

On Boggans – Little buggers think they're better than everyone else! Yeah, they're fast workers, but their craftsmanship is shoddy at best.
              On Clurichaun – Never let them near your workshop. They don't have a bit of respect for anyone or anything.
              On Eshu – Talkative bastards. They just don't know when to shut up. They go on, and on, and on....
              On Piskies – Unruly and reckless children.
              On Pooka – Useless furballs! They waste their lives playing tricks and pranks.
              On Redcaps – Dangerous folk, but sometimes useful. Just don't piss them off.
              On Satyrs – Lets party all night and on into the day – never mind that world is slipping into Winter. Hedonistic freaks, the lot of 'em.
              On Selkies – Not much to say about them, really. They smell of the sea and keep mostly to themselves.
              On Sidhe – They want to rule, and who are we to say no. They pay well and I'll happily take their commissions.
              On Sluagh – Buncha creepy a-holes, if you ask me. Skulking around, up to no good, I'm sure of it. They need to get their noses out of books and get a life.
              On Trolls – Big and powerful, but not very bright. They make great bodyguards.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
              Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

You're welcome.

Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

The Ghille Dhu from Isle of the Mighty are missing. I wonder why?

Comment

Some kiths are more common in Concordia than others.

Charlie Cantrell
                      Onyx Path Freelancer
                      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                        The Ghille Dhu from Isle of the Mighty are missing. I wonder why?
                        I'm sure that they'll be in there somewhere. We're even supposed to get the ones from the foreign language supplements, so I can't imagine that they'd neglect any of the ones that were part of the English books.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I'm sure that they'll be in there somewhere. We're even supposed to get the ones from the foreign language supplements, so I can't imagine that they'd neglect any of the ones that were part of the English books.

Yeah, they're in the book, they're just not one of the main kiths.

Matthew McFarland
                          Writer, developer, etc.
                          Undead for Chill 3rd Ed now on Kickstarter!

Comment

Originally posted by blackhatmatt View Post

Yeah, they're in the book, they're just not one of the main kiths.
                            ​Do they get enough detail to play them?

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

Will we get enough details on the Foreign Language Kiths to play them.

​Oh, and other than WOD: FRANCE (which I own a copy of) what might we see?

Comment

Working...
                              X