Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Freeholds be themed as anything but Feudal estates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize this is something of an older post, but the short answer is yes. There are many different archetypes a freehold may be constructed around. The C20 core book touches on them briefly, and Book of Freeholds gets into the specific details.

Maggie Carroll
    Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
    Working On: Book of Freeholds
    Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

One of the best choices might be a circus, there are a few still around, or a travelling performance troop. You'd need to make the Balefires (and you would need more than one) mobile. Travel would both give the Freehold political connections and adventures.

Comment

Old hotels, run down theaters (Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation graphic novel springs to mind), former Prohibition speak-easies, forgotten underground subway stations from a hundred or more years ago, Roman era ruins, a used book store, an old boxing gym, an established neighborhood barbershop, all of them managed along the lines of what they are rather than on a sense of neo-feudalism. The Showman who runs the Theater of Forgotten Dreams may be the local Baron by title, but he still runs things like its a theater company.

And the fun thing about old buildings and locations is that in the Dreaming they can regain their old glory and even exceed it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          Old hotels, run down theaters (Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation graphic novel springs to mind), former Prohibition speak-easies, forgotten underground subway stations from a hundred or more years ago, Roman era ruins, a used book store, an old boxing gym, an established neighborhood barbershop, all of them managed along the lines of what they are rather than on a sense of neo-feudalism. The Showman who runs the Theater of Forgotten Dreams may be the local Baron by title, but he still runs things like its a theater company.

And the fun thing about old buildings and locations is that in the Dreaming they can regain their old glory and even exceed it.
          Quite true. A sense of style and a practical propose seem to make a strong combo. Reworked themes work too.

Picture a once glorious old Hotel now shabby, but now it has a reputation for being haunted! The staff, many of them Changelings and relatives use mainly non-magical tricks and such to maintain the building's rep (with the rare bit of real Glamour thrown in to keep folks off balance). The glamour provided by thrill seekers keeps the place a strong freehold.

Comment

There is an Archetype of freehold that allows for multiple balefires, but they're pretty stationary.

Maggie Carroll
            Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
            Working On: Book of Freeholds
            Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie C View Post
              There is an Archetype of freehold that allows for multiple balefires, but they're pretty stationary.
              I'm certain Balefires could be carried in Circus Wagons.

Comment

I have a minor one that I used in when I had my group pass through my home town. Check out Valley of the Moon on the interwebs.

Comment

I don't think there actually are any more circuses in the United states. Ringling Brother's is on its farewell tour.

Comment

I thought most of the Freeholds mentioned in the books were things like Restaurants and bookshops? Say curious, what are the methods Changelings have for adding secret rooms that normally wouldn't fit into the physical space of a building?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I've written scenarios for Spain and Chile. In Chile the european changelings have Freeholds of colonial style and baroque. The native changelings are influenced by the cultures mapuche, rapa nui and selknam.

Comment

This is a story seed that's been lurking on the back of my mind, but I think there's something to be said about how you could frame the feudalism of the fae as banal.

Comment

Originally posted by gl1tterboots View Post
                          This is a story seed that's been lurking on the back of my mind, but I think there's something to be said about how you could frame the feudalism of the fae as banal.
                          Huh. Maybe tie it in as that ruling structure right now came in with the Sundering.

Comment

Originally posted by zenten View Post

Huh. Maybe tie it in as that ruling structure right now came in with the Sundering.

With respect to how much of a miserable experience actual feudalism was, where the peasantry was stuck in a banal routine of drudgery with no opportunities or potential, I think it makes sense.

Comment

Oh goodness yes. In the game I run there are numerous freeholds around Malibu because, well, Malibu. One is a Spanish--style villa in Adamson House, but one is a little misfit cafe, one is a night club, there's a sort of faerie market, there's a series of strange underwater caverns beneath Malibu Pier for the Water Babies and their friends... freeholds come in all shapes and sizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X