Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Freeholds be themed as anything but Feudal estates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has occurred to me that a small traditional urban barber shop, similar to the ones seen in Luke Cage, Coming to America or Barbershop, would make for an interesting commoner freehold.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

As for non-feudal Freeholds, as Lian mentioned in another thread: Amusement Park!
      On the other hand, an amusment park COULD be a feudal freehold. You could get away with alot in the open that way.

Comment

It has occurred to me that a small traditional urban barber shop, similar to the ones seen in Luke Cage, Coming to America or Barbershop, would make for an interesting commoner freehold.
        I’ve used one as a Caern before so sure would be perfect!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

On the other hand, an amusment park COULD be a feudal freehold. You could get away with alot in the open that way.
          I have this image in my head of a Princess Tea House full of assorted Sidhe, Pooka, Satyr and Boggin princesses. That and a "Forgotten Futures" pavilion full of Ethernaut Nockers.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Since Killerclown brought up private investigators in another thread, I think a detective agency (especially something along the lines of Bungo Stray Dogs or Blood Blockage Battlefront) would work pretty well as a commoner freehold.

Comment

Now that Book of Freeholds is out, the OP should have plenty of examples of freeholds that aren’t feudal estates!

Charlie Cantrell
              Onyx Path Freelancer
              Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

Thanks to book of Freeholds we now have arena/Ludus where to become a Freeholder one must fight a dangerous Chimera on the sands!

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
                  Now that Book of Freeholds is out, the OP should have plenty of examples of freeholds that aren’t feudal estates!
                  Any examples you can share? (He said, making the most pathetic attempt at pleading puppy dog eyes ever seen by human kind.)

Comment

Any examples you can share? (He said, making the most pathetic attempt at pleading puppy dog eyes ever seen by human kind.)
                    My favorite is Shamrocks Beer Cellar. I spent a lot of time role playing there back in the day and have so many fond memories of it. I was so happy to have a chance to revisit it.

The American Indian Center really stretches the definition of freehold, but it shows off a sanctuary from Banality and how the Nunnehi can survive and even thrive in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Underbridge and the Court of All Kings were a few old favorites to revisit.

I’m blanking on the name of these, but Steffie’s example freehold she introduced in the opening fiction was an a joy to read. I also *love* the ranch that breeds flying alpacas!

But yeah, the one in the book that I recall offhand as being anything like a traditional feudal estate is the Court of All Kings, and it’s presented as incredibly dangerous ruins for an intrepid motley to rediscover.

Charlie Cantrell
                    Onyx Path Freelancer
                    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds, Guide to the Night, C20 Players Guide

Comment

I’m blanking on the name of these, but Steffie’s example freehold she introduced in the opening fiction was an a joy to read. I also *love* the ranch that breeds flying alpacas!

Cool, thanks 🙂 (You know, there reallly should be a freehold farm somewhere breeding flying pigs purely to prove that all things are possible.)

​I'm not really all that in to most of the X20 material, but your description from here and the other thread makes me think that this is very much what I've long wished the original books on Freeholds, Haunts, Chantries, Caerns, and Havens had been like. Thanks.

Comment

But yeah, the one in the book that I recall offhand as being anything like a traditional feudal estate is the Court of All Kings, and it’s presented as incredibly dangerous ruins for an intrepid motley to rediscover.
                        the Harajuku castle sounds pretty feudal... or at least one of the many "I'm sure this is based on an anime trope.."

Comment

Cool, I forgot one. There are probably others I forgot too. The book was written almost two years ago.

Charlie Cantrell
                          Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

I think in terms of archetypical Freeholds for each Kith, Boggins would most certainly be the traditional tea house or some variation of it (bakery, bar that makes its own microbrews, etc.). I think there's actually one of such in San Fransisco (either the back of the 1st ed core book or Immortal Eyes: The Toybox).

Comment

I liked the one that was a residential complex for just Kithain.

Comment

San Francisco was the original default city for Changeling. It’s changed so much since ‘95 though. I wrote a small reference to the Toybox in Book of Freeholds, but I think it would be fun to have deep dive look at what those changes mean for the changelings in the city. It’s too bad city books aren’t really a thing anymore.

Charlie Cantrell
                                Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Working...
                                X