Stark Enterprises in C20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight View Post

What is your major hard on for tainted drugs? Prescription drugs and science isn't banal enough?

I would imagine any sort of psychotropic or psychiatric medicine would screw with a changeling much in the way a vampire would get messed up feeding off a person on said drugs.

Not saying that adderall or any adhd medicine is inherently wrong though, but when anything that would effect brain would have a profound effect on a changeling.
    Yeah, I'd say that anything psychoactive on its own would push a changeling closer to Bedlam.

As for tainted psychoactive drugs, I'd give them the same effect, but add some Nightmare dice too instead of Banality. Why? Well, Wyrm taint isn't exactly the same thing as Banality. It's corrupt entropic energy, with a static bent. Banality is more static than entropic. Entropy is, arguably, still Glamorous, albeit in a darker way. So I think Wyrm taint is best represented with Nightmare dice instead.

Now, for drugs in general, I'd use the rules in V20 and just consider whether it contributes to Bedlam (probably). But Nightmare dice are a good way to simulate Wyrm taint.

Comment

ok a fair poinot....

oh a wildly unrelated question but dont want to make a new thread for it, but it does need to be asked...

what art do I combine with the nature realm, to make flowers or mushrooms bloom out of nowhere?

Primal, soothsay (Blessing seeds)

its a STAPLE of legends concerning the fae.

Comment

You'd need five successes on Soothsay 5/Fate Fire to get flowers to suddenly bloom from seeds. With lower levels you can merely make it more likely that they'll germinate.

Primal 2/Eldritch Prime is the Art that would allow you to make flowers bloom.

Comment

oh hmmmn What do you think Fair is Foul and Foul is fair, would do to protect a tree, that was blessed? I know it depends on the number of successes.

at 5 successes, it should mean a pack of garou decide the Tree is holy.

At 1 might give the tree some crazed but devoted hobo trying to prune and water it

Hmmmn, would a soothsay blessing on a Tree, be enough to cause it to rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post

What is your major hard on for tainted drugs? Prescription drugs and science isn't banal enough?

I would imagine any sort of psychotropic or psychiatric medicine would screw with a changeling much in the way a vampire would get messed up feeding off a person on said drugs.

Not saying that adderall or any adhd medicine is inherently wrong though, but when anything that would effect brain would have a profound effect on a changeling.
            I would think that would strongly depend on the drug and the individual changeling. I don't see why there would be strong interactions between glamour and drugs when glamour isn't supposed to be a property of the physical brain. Adderall affects some people's personalities in ways one might call "increasing their banality", but Phillips K. Dick (for example) also wrote some very glamorous books on speed.

That's probably why he didn't live to see any of them made into films, but I'd really like to see less of the assumption that glamour is always good, healthy, socially responsible, and unscientific in the new edition. Being able to concentrate isn't banal in itself. I'm sure a lot of Nockers use Adderall.

And I would really like to see the setting implications of Anton Stark explored more. Two paragraphs hidden in the back of the old core book basically revealed that the Right of Ignorance has been blown. That's basically what it means if changelings have their own page in the freaking DSM, and that's huge.

Give me one good reason why Dr. Stark wouldn't know there was a changeling subculture and be giving it the worst publicity possible.

Give me one good reason why there haven't been big evening news parent scare specials about the degenerates who want to convince your teen that their crippling mental illness is a good thing.
            Last edited by Mr. Sluagh; 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sluagh View Post

I would think that would strongly depend on the drug and the individual changeling. I don't see why there would be strong interactions between glamour and drugs when glamour isn't supposed to be a property of the physical brain. Adderall affects some people's personalities in ways one might call "increasing their banality", but Phillips K. Dick (for example) also wrote some very glamorous books on speed.

That's probably why he didn't live to see any of them made into films, but I'd really like to see less of the assumption that glamour is always good, healthy, socially responsible, and unscientific in the new edition. Being able to concentrate isn't banal in itself. I'm sure a lot of Nockers use Adderall.
              Speaking as one of the writers, I can safely say that my ADD medication enabled creativity, it didn't stifle it.

And I would really like to see the setting implications of Anton Stark explored more. Two paragraphs hidden in the back of the old core book basically revealed that the Right of Ignorance has been blown. That's basically what it means if changelings have their own page in the freaking DSM, and that's huge.

Give me one good reason why Dr. Stark wouldn't know there was a changeling subculture and be giving it the worst publicity possible.

Give me one good reason why there haven't been big evening news parent scare specials about the degenerates who want to convince your teen that their crippling mental illness is a good thing.
              Many of these things were addressed during the process of advancing the game to present-ish day. 20 years is a lot of progress to be made, after all, both for good and for ill.

Maggie Carroll
              Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
              Working On: Book of Freeholds
              Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

largely sad to say, the same reason hunters dont go to the press Pentex anad DNA both maintain secrecy. etc

its a Genre conceit.

Beyond that...

his "Treatments" While effective might not be something he wants on the news as it could lead to activist protests against him he does NOT want.

And various groups might try to Stifle his attempts to go to the press

The SAD is afraid that if the supernatural becomes known it will cause social upheaval

House Ailil is well connected with the Press and is hardly incompetent

Beyond that Dr Stark seems totally unaware and uninterested in changeling subculture thinking that others assigned these roles are just imaginary or unaware of the roles their delusional friends are assigning them.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  largely sad to say, the same reason hunters dont go to the press Pentex anad DNA both maintain secrecy. etc

its a Genre conceit.

Beyond that...

his "Treatments" While effective might not be something he wants on the news as it could lead to activist protests against him he does NOT want.

And various groups might try to Stifle his attempts to go to the press

The SAD is afraid that if the supernatural becomes known it will cause social upheaval

House Ailil is well connected with the Press and is hardly incompetent

Beyond that Dr Stark seems totally unaware and uninterested in changeling subculture thinking that others assigned these roles are just imaginary or unaware of the roles their delusional friends are assigning them.
                  In the 1990s, sure. Protests against him would probably be less desirable. In 2010s? Protesting something like this is more likely to send it viral, polarizing it, forcing people to one side or another on the issue.

But again. All (mostly) addressed in C20. You'll just have to wait and see.

Maggie Carroll
                  Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
                  Working On: Book of Freeholds
                  Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

the other two forces I mentioned? SAD and House Ailil.

Edit: Just thought of another possiblety, maybe he tried to "Bring them into the light of day" but wound up, "Trying to show how widespread this madness has spread!" attacking some "Pillar of the community, like a Judge, mayor, clergyman , or whatever, and it got so much flack, no mainstream media will touch that kind of article with a ten foot pole.

Also if we go with the novel "Toybox" he is "on the fringes of his proffesion" so that could be another reason he hasnt been able to do so, probaly to his great frustration.
                    Last edited by Prince of the Night; 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Would still like thoughts on my idea he tried it and it failed

another cool idea I just had, would it be that interminably dull a fanproject, to try creating "Chimera: Living in our dreams"

Comment

know this post is 2 months old but have a new insight?

Causing "Big evening news Parent scare specials" Can be a bit harder to do, then you seem to think

Came accross some... ahem people on facebook trying to raise the alarm to parents that "Anti Circumcision Fanatics"
                        ™"
                        are trying to 'brainwash' your son that he is damaged and unwhole because of this "Safe Procedure
                        " they mentioned at least 1 case of suicide, and had a litany of alleged facts to back them up...

The Results?

Their facebook page has been up for nearly 3 months now, and has got 157 likes.

a page for a movie being produced by these 'Fanatics' Has 3,665 likes and is YOUNGER by a MONTH

a petition they endorsed, is 2 months out, and has 19 signatures...

They endeavour constantly to show how educated well thought out, etc they are, but the so called "anti circumcision fanatics
                        " have taken to ignoring them as irrelevant

and their making no serious dent in the activism they oppose.

I will not link to their page, as I simply do not want to give them traffic

Im sorry to the mods for bringing up this kind of can of worms, but its the only kind of example I know, that shows that because someone who happens to have a degree, wants to start a scare mongering campaign, doesnt mean he'll succeed.

The media might not be interested in helping him, might not believe his story, and on the internet, getting news believed there... is a very chancy thing even though anyone could do it.

Comment

I actually had a game where he tried and succeeded. In this setting, the moon landing failed, so the sidhe didn't return. Nobody took him seriously, until the day that a group of changelings tried to reveal themselves to the world during a concert staged to maximize the Glamour output. The awakening of other changelings during the event allowed him to claim that their "mental illness " had become contagious, and caused a massive panic that resulted in a very banal world.

Currently working on: [REDACTED]

Comment

ouch sounds really horrible.

thoughts on t he comment in the Toybox novel saying hes on the fringes of his profession.

it would be wonderful to see him stripped of his license... or is killing him NECCESSARY?

Comment

Working...
                            X