No announcement yet.

Good Media inspiration for Changeling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Media inspiration for Changeling?

Any good media inspiration for changelings?

One thing I think of in particular, is on disneys Maleficent , where she takes her Crown, is that a lot like what Samhain will feel like?

Or the end a lot like Beltaine?

Movies like the Fisher King (trailer) and Big Fish (trailer) give a good feel for what changeling life looks like to outsiders, particularly mundane humans. And a lot of people like the vibe Labyrinth (trailer) has going on.

But nothing captures what it means to be a changeling quite like Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress (trailer). The biography of a (fictitious) actress, its the story of her search for her first love . . . and she makes no distinction between "real life" and the movies she's been in. Thus she chases after him through burning palaces and a failed marriage, survives a train wreck caused by the hordes of Genghis Khan, takes a desperate cab ride to meet him in the midst of Godzilla's rampage through Tokyo . . .
    Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

One Vorlon has some good ones. I'd add Neverending Story, Mirror Mask, and Return to Oz to the list of movies.

And it sounds like I need to watch Millenium Actress!

Charlie Cantrell
      Onyx Path Freelancer
      Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Stardust, Neverwhere, Pan's Labyrinth to name another few.

Comment

Currently nine books strong, Seanan McGuire's October Daye series is pretty much a love letter to the game. Sure, she's renamed a couple of things, thrown in a couple of house rules . . . but the whole series reads like a Changeling campaign. Sidhe nobles ruling hidden freeholds, commoner changelings resisting their rules, lost kingdoms hidden in the depths of the Dreaming . . . the characters even perform bunks to channel their magic. In fact, it would not surprise me in the least to learn that October "Toby" Daye used to be the author's pc in a Changeling game

The protagonist, Sir October Daye, was a sidhe knight, noted for her street smarts and ability to ferret out secrets. But when her latest quest blows up in her face, she spends the next decade unwillingly exploring new career options . . . as a fish. When she finally escapes the curse, her mortal life is in ruins, and she realizes she's no longer a wilder. As a newly minted grump, she tries to sink into Banality, into forgetfulness . . . Until one day her old life comes calling:

Originally posted by Rosemary and Rue
          (. . .) After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the fae world, retreating into a “normal” life. Unfortunately for her, Faerie has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose, one of the secret regents of the San Francisco Bay Area, pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening’s dying curse, Toby must resume her former position as knight errant to the Duke of Shadowed Hills and begin renewing old alliances that may prove her only hope of solving the mystery...before the curse catches up with her.
          My personal favorite (so far) is book three, An Artificial Night. All across San Francisco, parents wake to find their children gone, stolen from their beds in the night by a Lost One. Initially,Toby has no intention of challenging such a dangerous opponent - she's a sleuth, not a soldier. And then her best friend calls her, sick with worry . . .

Comment

Some more films:

Children Who Chase Lost Voices
            Princess Mononoke (an historical setting, perhaps?)
            Laputa: Castle in the Sky (full of nockers!)
            Howl's Moving Castle
            The Cell (maybe)
            Paprika

Comment

Memories : Magnetic Rose could be a good example?

Pan's Laberyth
              24 Hour Party People comes to mind, specially with the idea of Tony Wilson talking about HIS LEGEND (and Not nesesarely true facts)
              The Adventures of Baron Münchhausen?
              I always seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as a Changeling movie (Considering thats the story of Raoul Duke and NOT Hunter S Thompson and all the insanity of the american dream)

Would Perfect Blue be a good example of when reality mixes with the fantasy?

also..
              MIRROR MASK BY DAVE MCKEAN AND WITH THE HELP OF NEIL GAIMAN!!

In a weird and yet funny way...I see Monty Python's Holy Grial (specially because of the ending)

Could Pink Floyds The Wall be a good example? with the idea of a musician who is slowly coping with both fantasy and reality mixing togeather and how he develops The Nazi/Hammer persona as a manifestation of his Fae self?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
              ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
              Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
              Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

I hated Mirror Mask, but stylistically it's very Changeling. I just thought it was shallow and poorly written.

Also:

The Devil's Backbone
                Scott Pilgrim (another film I hated but which is appropriate)
                The Cat Returns
                Franklyn
                The Dark Crystal
                The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
                Pirates of the Caribbean (a swashbuckling setting?)

Comment

The Dark Crystal? ok its mythic... but doesnt really address the Duality between human and Other the Changelings must wrestle with.

Comment

[QUOTE=adambeyoncelowe;n862519]

The Devil's Backbone
                    /QUOTE]

always saw that one as a good idea for Wraith more than changeling...

What about Black Swan or Requiem for a Dream?

Summer Wars could be an interesting experiment,. if you treated the internet as a faeric reality and the avatars as the Fae manifestation.

V for Vendetta could be interpretated as a Human woman who was kidnapped by a fae who forgot his own humanity and fell for the Anarchistic romantisim trying to take down a Banal Goverment (

Books of Magic The vertigo Comic had an interesting view on titania and other fae.

Fight Club would be an interesting experiment. With the narrator being the human part and Tyler Durden being a manifestation of another nihilistic fae trying to take down the banal world.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

For childling (changeling kids) ideas, take a serious look at the old Calvin & Hobbes comic strips. A daydreaming kid, and his "imaginary" tiger friend, who go on wild adventures together when not trying to cope with the boring mundanity of school and chores . . . Its a very Changeling-esque series

For an even younger group of changelings, there are some good ideas and adventures you can borrow from the old Muppet Babies (opening) series. Or, if you don't mind a crossover, Codename: Kids Next Door (trailer) works great as a group of childlings teaming up with (young) Sons of Ether to battle Dauntain, wilders, and grumps.

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                      I hated Mirror Mask, but stylistically it's very Changeling. I just thought it was shallow and poorly written.
                      Mirror Mask could've been a great example, but I don't think they quite developed the necessary symmetry between the protagonist's mundane life and her magical adventures. As it is, I think its got more of a Changeling: the Lost vibe, instead.

I do like Crowley's suggestion of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (trailer). Not the most subtle film, but its pretty easy to see the title character as a pooka, eshu, or sidhe (of several possible houses).

Comment

For music, I recommend Nox Arcana and almost any Cirque du Soleil soundtrack.

For that matter, almost any Cirque do Soleil show period. Especially Worlds Away, Allegria, BELIEVE, Amaluna.

Sample: Homage to the Rabbits (Criss Angel BELIEVE)
                        Last edited by Maggie C; 04-10-2016, 09:47 AM.

Maggie Carroll
                        Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
                        Working On: Book of Freeholds
                        Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

Drop Dead Fred (trailer) and Don't Look Under the Bed (promo) both play with the idea of an older changeling, saddled with high Banality, suddenly dragged back into all the fun and games of the Dreaming. And of course any of the Alice in Wonderland adaptations provide a lot to work with - I'm particularly partial to the live action movies from the 1980s (clip)

Originally posted by Maggie C View Post
                          For music, I recommend Nox Arcana and almost any Cirque du Soleil soundtrack.

For that matter, almost any Cirque do Soleil show period. Especially Worlds Away, Allegria, BELIEVE, Amaluna.

Sample: Homage to the Rabbits (Criss Angel BELIEVE)
                          Nox Arcana is great, and if you want just plain creepy, there's always Midnight Syndicate (premier supplier of music to haunted houses all across the country)

Edit: Is it just me, or is there something deeply disturbing about "Homage to the Rabbits"?
                          Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-24-2016, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                            The Dark Crystal? ok its mythic... but doesnt really address the Duality between human and Other the Changelings must wrestle with.
                            I was thinking more as inspiration for one particular locale in the Dreaming, actually.

Comment

FLCL , My Neighbourg Totoro , Hook

Comment

Working...
                              X