Good Media inspiration for Changeling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GogariGlenRoss View Post
    I'm considering adding a chimerical Narrator to all my chronicles from now on. (A disembodied voice, that basically means that the characters can hear me.)
    I was inspired by Pushing Daisies and Princess Tutu to have a narrator in a chronicle once. The plan was that the narrator was actually a Tuatha de Danaan who came back to check in how the Kithain were doing as stewards of the Dreaming. It was going to faithfully narrate the first couple of sessions, then audibly get more frustrated by what it considered poor story choices by the PCs as the chronicle went on, eventually getting fed up and taking more direct control of events going on around the characters. The PCs would have to find a way to break free from the Tuatha's script.

Unfortunately, shortly into the chronicle, several players' life situations changed, so it had to be abandoned before we got to the reveal of the Tuatha de Danaan.

Charlie Cantrell
    Onyx Path Freelancer
    Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

I forget, has anyone mentioned Clive Barker's The Thief of Always or Weaveworld? Or Stephen King's IT or his and Peter Straud's The Talisman? (Admittedly, they may skew a little more Lost than Dreaming, but are all worth reading.)

Also, I'm sort of enjoying the new show Emerald City. Not as much as some of the other stuff I watch, but visually it's very fascinating.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I thought the recent Channel Zero: Candle Cove series made for an interesting mine of Changeling material.

Comment

The "White Walkers" from Game of Thrones, not exactly CtD, much more fitting for DA Fae, as some powerful changellings of the Winter Court. The very first time I saw the White Walkers I thought "Winter Court".

Comment

Ok. Imma drop this here but..Has anyone read the last Hellboy Arc?. No, not BPRD. Hellboy, where he basically summons the armies of Arthurian legend to fight Nimue, messenger and champion of The Dragon of Revelations?.

because if thats not good inspiration for changeling, i have no idea what else might be

ALSO..Would Alan Wake be a good example of changeling? from the point of view of an Enchanted?
            Last edited by Crowley; 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM.

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
            ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
            Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
            Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

All of Hellboy is wonderful inspiration just for the amounts of real world myth and folklore it's always drawn upon. My two personal favorites are his adventures in Mexico in the 50s and the one about the African legend of Makoma.

You know, the Kingdom of the Feathered Serpent should really have some sort of heroic knightly order who are all masked luchadors.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

So, i been reading this novel by Joe Hill "NOS4A2" About a child killer who takes them to a place known as "ChristmasLand."
                The protagonist (Vic) has this "Gift" which allows her to ride her bicycle and teleport Anywhere where she wants to (by crossing an imaginaty bridge)

(BY THE WAY, TO AVOID SPOILERS. THE FIRST 5 PAGES STABLISH THAT THE KILLER'S BEEN IN A COMA FOR DECADES, THE BOOK IS NARRATED THROUGH FLASHBACKS AND FLASHFOWARDS).

Vic was able to "Escape" manx (The Killer) when she was very young. The book potraits her "Teleporting" to his home.
                In the current page where i am, she is describing having "Two Version" of how she got there in her mind. One being that she ran away from home, tried to take a train, Charles Manx (The killer) poisoned her and took her to his Car (Which for any purpouses could be a Chimera) and took her to the house on "Christmas land." (an abandoned themepark). The other version is that she heard about him through a librarian who can get "Clues" by throwing pices from Scabble, she took her bike and went through the Imaginary Bridge, and she ended up on this old house smelling of Gingerbread and with Dead Childrens/Demonic Kids/Kidnapped children..

So....

Is it a good inspiration for Changeling or am i High Again?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

NOS4A2 is a little more Lost than Dreaming (IMO), but still a good read, and does offer up some interesting ideas for darker corners of the Dreaming. I was rather amused by the book's map showing ChristmasLand also including references to Hill's earlier book Horns and his graphic novel series Lock & Key, as well as to his father's book IT.

Comment

I was about to suggest Astrid Lindgren's story, very befitting of Changeling in theme and tone, but couldn't find any evidence of it ever translated into English. In Swedish it's called "Junker Nins av Eka" (http://www.astridlindgren.se/en/her-...er/junker-nils).

But if you read Swedish or any of the languages it was translated in (like Russian), I'd put it on as recommended reading.

Firkraag's out.

Comment

If your looking for ideas for Australian Changelings you can't go too far wrong with The Song of Wirrun trilogy and other books like The Nargun and the Stars

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...song-of-wirrun

Comment

Clive Barker, The Thief of Always.

Maggie Carroll
                        Onyx Path Freelancer & Developer
                        Working On: Book of Freeholds
                        Worked On: V20 TMR, Demon STG, C20, Conquering Heroes, Building A Legend

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie C View Post
                          Clive Barker, The Thief of Always.
                          Oddly enough...I feel like Doctor Who has some very changeling elements and episodes. i mean the whole thing of 11th being amy's "Imaginary friend."
                          Episodes like "Blink", The Hotel One (11th), just to name a few.. but tell me if im Off my meds again

Comment

It's not really a good match tonally, but I've thought the television show Grimm made for good inspiration on ways to look at chimerical reality vs. regular reality, and how to use it with adult characters that all share this layer of culture and society that isn't perceived by many ordinary people.

Comment

Shade: The Changing Man, from DC's Vertigo imprint back in the 90s.

Rudyard Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill

China Mieville's King Rat

Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni

Comment

This movie. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

I think this has to be a Freehold of the Lost Ones. And you know the owner is mad. As Nostalgia Critic put it:

"He has the ideas and ambition of a child yet the mind and demeanor of a James Bond villain."
                                Last edited by Firkraag; 05-11-2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X