Good Media inspiration for Changeling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For BOOKS I would reccommend:

Which Witch by Eva Ibbotson (The spellcasters here are more like changelings and kinain that Mages)

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (already mentioned)

The Neverending Story (Already mentioned, but important)

Dreams Underfoot Collection by Charles DeLint

What the Cat Told Me by Diana Wynne Jones (short story)

Not What You Expected by Joan Aiken (shorts stories, all of which are suitable for Changeling)

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagel (fae vs mortal seeming is a big theme)

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (Fairy Tale and Mythic beings living in a modern world)

The Mythology Series by Jodi Lynn Nye

Changeling by Delia Sherman

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (anything by Nesbit)
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Fun movies with a fairy tale/Changeling vibe:

JORDSKOTT- A Story about a community that is hiding the presence of a terrible evil (likely Thallain)

THALE (modern, creepy take on the Huldra idea)

TROLL HUNTER (found footage, really wonderful)

RARE EXPORTS (kid hero, goes someplace I didn't expect - creepy and fun)

Comment

*creaks open door to thread*

Nobody here? Alright then.

Anyways, this movie trailer dropped today, "I Kill Giants" (based on the comic mini-series "I Kill Giants"), and it's the most goddamn Changeling thing I've seen to come out of 2018 thus far.

A childling changeling (rabbit ears would suggest pooka) fights and kills chimerical giants and naturally nobody believes here when she talks about how the giants are real.
        Last edited by tasti man LH; 01-25-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Happy! is a TV series on SCIFI about an Excop crushed by the world who has become a hit man.. who teams up with an imaginary friend of a little girl to save her. This alone is pretty weird but the whole setting has an odd undercurrent of "What hte fuck is really going on" that could be "this is how mortals see changeling" interaction.

Comment

If this hasn't been suggested already, I say Bridge to Terabithia is right on the money for Changeling, the Dreaming. In fact, as soon as I heard about the concept and setting of the game, I immediately thought of BtT.

Couple of kids want to escape from their problems in the real world, so they go exploring in the woods and find a place where they can just hang out by themselves for hours without anybody bothering them. Shortly afterward, they name the spot Terabithia and imagine a fantasy world filled with magical creatures and grand adventures!

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
              *creaks open door to thread*

Nobody here? Alright then.

Anyways, this movie trailer dropped today, "I Kill Giants" dropped today (based on the comic mini-series "I Kill Giants"), and it's the most goddamn Changeling thing I've seen to come out of 2018 thus far.

A childling changeling (rabbit ears would suggest pooka) fights and kills chimerical giants and naturally nobody believes here when she talks about how the giants are real.
              Oh, finally a trailer! Eagerly waiting for this one, I loved the comic.

I can attest that, without spoiling much, it works perfectly as inspiration for Changeling

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. You literally have a guy who loses his memory and youth as he alternates between giving in to normalcy and death and remembering how he's a fantastical hero of myth and legend. Your not even sure what is real and what is just a story of the Baron.

Comment

I have a few video games to offer:
                  THIEF: The Dark Project (the original. It's about an elder fae trying to stop their sundering.)
                  Contrast (a girl and her chimera of her making are trying to understand the world from the shadows of her freehold)
                  Costume Quest (Just play it!)
                  Guns of Icarus (Kinda kidding... though I do like the ideas of Knockers just going on it in airships!)
                  Five Nights at Freddy's 4... NO! Seriously! This is probably the perfect representation of what an a childling goes through when they are being besieged by their own nocnista and have only a glamour-loaded flashlight to protect themselves. It has nightmare logic, grotesque monstrosities and all you need is the monsters leaving to cause carnage in the nearby freeholds.
                  Shower with your Dad Simulator (Ok, I'm REALLY kidding with that one)

Comment

South Park the Stick of Truth maybe?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

• Also. i been reading a lot of the discworld lately and started to read Saga. they mention the idea of the Narrative Laws of Causality.

basically saying, that if its worth of an epic tale. it will happend.
                      If an army has to fight 7 heroes, the army will loose.

i can't stop thinking on using that law on my games..except when it comes to banality

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ativeCausality

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

• I think American Mcgee's Alice is a great example.

In fact, if you use both games as inspiration, Alice could be an example of a playable Dauntain.
                        Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-10-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Ok i got a curve ball...

Would "Once upon a time"/"The Wolf Among us" be good inspiration for changeling?

for a while i been pondering of how to run a game where my PC's are actually fable's characters

Comment

• Once upon a time works well to give several examples on how Mists work and how frustrating it can get. Seriously few first seasons get extremely frustrating at times as the main character refuses to believe no matter what she witnessess and tends to forget the things she just saw.

Comment

Working...
                            X