Nunnehi sourcebook?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luisarmander View Post
    If the Nunnehi get a sourcebook (as they should), i would like the emphasis on the fact that they are not "Fairies".
    I like the idea of Kithain getting to America to find these guys with a link to the Dreaming, and powers similar enough to their own that the ignorant Werewolves and Mages get away with calling Fae... but different enough that even though a couple centuries have come and gone since that first meeting, they are still considered Gallain

What makes something a Fairy? What makes something a creature of the Dreaming vs the Umbra? I think its very interesting Eshu have become Kithain while Nunnehi remain on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

What makes something a Fairy? What makes something a creature of the Dreaming vs the Umbra? I think its very interesting Eshu have become Kithain while Nunnehi remain on the outside.
      The cynical part of me thinks it's because African-Americans are more vocal and have more buying power in the US than Native Americans, particularly at the time CTD was first published. TV and film, for instance, do at least pretend to include black people, but Native American actors and characters are far, far less visible.

Within the game itself, that probably also translates to the World of Darkness. The fae aren't accurate representations of nuanced folkloric beliefs, but rather broad archetypes based on cultural tropes.

The Eshu, then, represent popular conceptions of the dreams and folklore of the African Diaspora in the US, which is closer to popular understanding than Native American traditions. Black power, civil rights, Afrocentrism and black music in general have all made Black consciousness a (small but significant) part of American culture.

Indeed, you could even argue that the way the Eshu actually conflate several different cultures and their folklore is because American Black politics (with a capital B) actually merges widely disparate cultures into one African-American identity.

Native American beliefs, being more closely guarded, retaining (in some cases) their distinctiveness to a greater degree, without the homogenisation African-American culture has faced, and being less 'popular'/well known in general therefore aren't archetypal or broad enough to cluster into kiths. What we end up with is part-spirit beings who are the remnants of more hyperlocal traditions, who've resisted being subsumed into a more uniform kithain identity.
      Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 05-31-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Also, as a case in point, the Eshu kith throws in Asian tropes, despite being named after a West African god (West Africa being the origin of most African-Americans who arrived via the slave trase).

Comment

Working...
        X