Easter eggs and teasers from C20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter eggs and teasers from C20

I thought, for completion's sake (and so we can waste our time mulling over the possibilities and getting everything wrong), I'd start a thread listing all the new additions to the game that C20 has teased. Please add anything I've missed:

1. Unleashing - We've had a preview for this already. It suggests an overhaul of the system for Nightmare dice.

2. New Thallain types - Sevartal (svartalf, perhaps--meaning 'dark elf' or Thallain sidhe, I guess), skinwalkers (aside: J.K. Rowling got into trouble for her portrayal of this myth recently)

3. Revelry - A new way of getting Glamour which appears to be kith-specific (e.g., satyrs will do something related to, I guess, passion).

4. New Arts - Oneiromancy, Contracts, Dragon's Ire (possibly?), Summer (possibly?).

5. Ways to cure the Undoing - This is an important one, as temporarily Undone characters can seemingly be brought back from the Mists. The Second Edition rules for the Mists have characters fall into a coma for months on end, which often interrupted game flow.

What else have we learned or are we expecting from the tidbits we've seen so far?
    Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 04-20-2017, 03:04 AM.

could we gather links to all of this in here for forms sake?

Comment

There's the Nockers preview, here.
      The Cantrips preview, here.
      Black Hat Matt's actual play, here.
      PookaKnight's actual play, here and here.

Comment

To feed the hype machine, there was a small discussion on my Facebook page yesterday which led to Holden answering a question about Unleashing. I figure folks here would be interested too

Speaking as someone who worked on the Unleashing rules, I kinda quirked an eyebrow too when I saw it in the outline. Like, "Damn it, Matt, we want to keep Dreaming and Dark Ages distinct. Don't cross the streams!" But it ended up working out really, really cool. Structurally, it feels like there's more of a throughline of "history" in the Arts now, like they're not just these fantastic powers, but rather the tattered (yet still glorious!) remnants of the even greater arts the fae once wielded before the world started to break down under the weight of its own apathy and decay, and the fae had to hide themselves in half-mortal guises to survive. It manages that WITHOUT feeling like Dark Ages just swanning in and displacing the classic game. In specific execution, it's very different from the Unleashing of Dark Ages, and gives your magic some flex in emergency situations, where you're willing to just yell "get me out of this jam" and hope for the best when a universal force made primarily of tales of glorious triumph and heartbreaking tragedy kicks in to get 'er done. In play, they're really fun as an emergency or frustration-based solution (because they're inherently pretty risky). You're kind of punching above your weight class to reach that far back into the purity of Glamour and your fae heritage, but you can still DO it because god damn it, you are a living story from the dawn of time and if you want to spray-and-pray with Wayfare, that's your unimpeachable right.
        This is also why I ended up happy Matt ran the thing, incidentally. Aside from just doing a top-notch job, he pushed the game to be both a loving update of the Changeling of old, and an actual improvement over what came before. More inclusive on every level of design. People are going to be so happy with it.
        Realms are more emphasized in C20 than in previous editions. With the exception of one Art (which basically doesn't intersect with one of the Realms), every single power in every single Art is designed to work with all the Realms on offer, often with potentially VERY different results and applications. Tons of room for creative applications.
        Also, Matt is answering questions on the KIckstarter comments, though he did say he prefers the interface here on the forums.

Also also, just to show that these discussions matter — I got to fulfill a prophesy I forgot but was reminded about in a thread here, and the Wollpertinger gave me an opportunity to finally answer a long standing question

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Since I cleared this reply with Matthew, back when I got a PM question about setting, I'll post it here as well.

Hello!
          Thanks for writing! I know how much you love Changeling, and while I’m unable to go into any details (for obvious reasons), I can say that there’s a brief overview of the different nations of the world, but the main setting described in the core book is, as always, the Kingdom of Concordia. That said, the part that details the setting contains information of events that’s not specific to North America, but the world at large, and, speaking as a Storyteller and Changeling-fan, it’s simple to combine the two sections to create your own local world. In fact, with the new construction system for Kiths, it’s even easier to make games pertaining to a specific area. For example, I used the events and combined it with my native Scandinavian setting during my first playtest session and it went well. I hope you find this answer to your satisfaction because it’s a huge, fantastic, book.

Krister M. Michl
          Writer, Recent OPP Product: Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition

Comment

I just need more excerpts. Gimme gimme gimme!

Comment

no david bowie reference yet?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
              ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
              Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
              Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

I'd be willing to bet there's a Labyrinth reference or two in there somewhere

Charlie Cantrell
                Onyx Path Freelancer
                Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

I'll just leave this here.... >_>

https://www.patreon.com/posts/strike-6975100

Edit: Link should work now.
                  Last edited by PookaKnight; 10-11-2016, 06:37 PM.

Charlie Cantrell
                  Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

This site can’t be reached

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit Pooka View Post
                      This site can’t be reached
                      Fixed!

This exceeds ten characters.

Charlie Cantrell
                      Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

Edit: Link should work now.

*shrieks in ecstatic delight*

Yes by the Dreaming! Thank you so much for this update!.

"May you live in interesting times"

Storyteller of The Hakura Chronicle

Comment

I'm really keen to see what's happened with the eshu. Will we see more African kiths? There's always been a suggestion that eshu are the tip of the iceberg--merely the African kith seen most often. For example, with the oba we get a suggestion of African nobles. Are there other kiths that Westerners merely assume are just eshu?

And what about the Caribbean? Mixtures of African, European, Indian, Chinese and Native American beliefs would result in some interesting kiths, such as the soucouyant, duppies, lagahoo, etc.

Alternatively, will we see in the kith write-ups hints of how the kiths manifest in different locales? Such as the aigypanes, or Ethiopian satyrs.

Comment

Considering the other posts in this thread, it seems like this belongs here

Charlie Cantrell
                            Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                              I'm really keen to see what's happened with the eshu. Will we see more African kiths? There's always been a suggestion that eshu are the tip of the iceberg--merely the African kith seen most often. For example, with the oba we get a suggestion of African nobles. Are there other kiths that Westerners merely assume are just eshu?

And what about the Caribbean? Mixtures of African, European, Indian, Chinese and Native American beliefs would result in some interesting kiths, such as the soucouyant, duppies, lagahoo, etc.

Alternatively, will we see in the kith write-ups hints of how the kiths manifest in different locales? Such as the aigypanes, or Ethiopian satyrs.
                              African, South American and Carribean kiths would be awesome. Emere are pretty much Kithain already, for exemple.
                              I hope the Oba get changed, though. Their weakness/curse made them unplayable in most campaigns.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                              Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Working...
                              X